1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 00:48
    I was wondering today as I was watching someone from a town that is passing
    a law requiring gun ownership for every head of household that had a few outs
    in it, one if you were forbidden by law from owning a gun due to a felony, or for
    religious reasons didn’t want to own one, there were other reasons for not
    owning one….but I was wondering about Atheist since many claim Atheism isn’t
    a religion. Are those Atheists who make that claim than forced into accepting
    everything that is pushed their way unable to ever claim religious excepting to
    anything thrown at them by law that was written by anyone?
    Kelly
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 00:51
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    in it, one if you were forbidden by law from owning a gun due to a felony, or for
    owning one….but I was wondering about Atheis ...[text shortened]... claim religious excepting to
    Kelly
    I don't know.

But if guns are in lawed then all inlaws will have guns. Shiver !!
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 01:04
    Originally posted by sonship
    I don't know.

But if guns are in lawed then all inlaws will have guns. Shiver !!
    🙂
    KJ
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 01:06
    owning one….but I was wondering about Atheis ...[text shortened]... claim religious excepting to
    Kelly
    I believe there are just too many laws trying to restrict our freedoms. I think it is just as bad to force us to own guns by law as it is to prevent us from owning guns by law. Obamacare wants to force us to pay for health insurance. I guess they will have to raise taxes to give to those who can't afford it to pay for that insurance.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 02:02
    Kelly
    Wow that is freaky!!
    Where is that?
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 02:52
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Wow that is freaky!!
    Where is that?
    It is in Georgia, the state that I live in.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/02/georgia-town-not-alone-in-using-gun-law-as-deterrent/2048059/
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 03:44
    I don't think liberal supporters of gun ownership in the U.S. would ever consider imposing something like this on citizens.
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 04:47
    but I was wondering about Atheist since many claim Atheism isn’t
    a religion. Are those Atheists who make that claim than forced into accepting
    Kelly
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscientious_objector
    One can refuse to join the army based "on the grounds of freedom of thought, conscience, and/or religion."

I realise that at first glance an atheist has no religion to use as an excuse to get out of certain rules, but the usual solution is to make up a religion and some suitable rules. After all, theists are also allowed to make up rules for their religions.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 05:31
    Kelly
    "Are those Atheists who make that claim than forced into accepting
    anything thrown at them by law that was written by anyone?"

Could someone diagram the above sentence?
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 05:49
    Originally posted by JS357
    "Are those Atheists who make that claim than forced into accepting
    anything thrown at them by law that was written by anyone?"

If an atheist claims atheism is not his religion, then is he unable to use religious grounds to take advantage of exceptions to a law?
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 06:06
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    If an atheist claims atheism is not his religion, then is he unable to use religious grounds to take advantage of exceptions to a law?
    OK thanks, so is this the same as a person claiming "I object to this law on religious grounds, even though I am not religious"?
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 06:16
    OK thanks, so is this the same as a person claiming "I object to this law on religious grounds, even though I am not religious"?
    He's just asking whether atheists are at a distinct disadvantage due to not having religion as an excuse.

I think in reality, as with conscientious objectors, if you can convince the law makers that the issue is serious to you, then you have as much right to object as a religious person.
    For example, if a school bans the wearing of head coverings, a religious student may be able to get an exception. I believe an atheist may equally be able to convince the school administration if he can cite a good enough reason why it would affect him negatively not to wear one. (eg if he is bald, due to cancer treatment).
  13. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 07:08
    I tried. What I got was a very diabolical looking pentagram.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 15:282 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    He's just asking whether atheists are at a distinct disadvantage due to not having religion as an excuse.

I think in reality, as with conscientious objectors, if you can convince the law makers that the issue is serious to you, then you have as much right to object as a religious person.
    For example, if a school bans the wearing of head coverings, a ...[text shortened]... hy it would affect him negatively not to wear one. (eg if he is bald, due to cancer treatment).
    Well I think the main reason people get a pass on religious grounds is the same as for being a member of any interest group. The group can act against whoever is giving them a hard time, on behalf of the individual. The atheist can do this to by say, joining the ACLU or a humanist society or forming an group under some secular banner. And the same thing can happen to that group as can happen to a religious minority, for to its benefit or detriment.

The religion just acts as a political interest group when seeking special treatment. What atheists generally lack that religious groups have, are parents raising their children to be members of an on-going interest group that has the organization and structure and clout to influence government decisions. It is a legacy of days when religions were dominant, that special constitutional protections exist for interest groups that legally qualify as religions. But at bottom they are interest groups.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 16:56
    Well I think the main reason people get a pass on religious grounds is the same as for being a member of any interest group.
    I disagree. If a person says something is against their religion, I generally give them a pass, regardless of how many members their religion has. It is a recognition of the fact that whatever it is, is very important to them. Of course, I might want to verify that they are telling the truth. This happens with children and school rules. Some children claim special privilege due to the religion and the teachers may have to verify the claim with the child's parents.
    But as I said, I think I that the general principle can be applied equally well to atheists. For example, an atheist child may state that they do not feel that it is right for them to take part in school prayers. Or they may have something totally unrelated to religion that they feel very strongly about. Suppose for example a child is vegetarian and is expected to partake in school lunches that contain meat. A child whose religion requires vegetarianism should not get preference over a child who is generally vegetarian on principle.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree