1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 21:44
    http://2012changesarenow.blogspot.com/2009/07/blind-people-can-see-during-near-death.html

In the article, it is reported that when the blind have near death experiences, they often can see. In fact, a staggering 80% claim to be able to see during their NDE. So big deal, right? It's just their overactive brain playing tricks on them as they remember what it was like to see at one time. Well what about those who were blind since birth? The article reports that for such people there is a moment of disorientation, naturally. It is similar to the disorientation for those born blind receiving their sight via various medical procedures.

So how about it? How is this possible?
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 21:49
    The brain can create images even if the eyes themselves don't work.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:05
    Is this spiritual or more something for "science"
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:08
    Originally posted by whodey
    http://2012changesarenow.blogspot.com/2009/07/blind-people-can-see-during-near-death.html

In the article, it is reported that when the blind have near death experiences, they often can see. In fact, a staggering 80% claim to be able to see during their NDE. So big deal, right? It's just their overactive brain playing tricks on them as they remember what ...[text shortened]... eceiving their sight via various medical procedures.

So how about it? How is this possible?
    I don't put a whole lot of faith in NDE's.

So I can't really answer the question except to say, that if NDE's are legitimate, then perhaps the 'sight' experienced may be the brain's ability to piece together a picture from the other senses that resembles 'sight'.

Was the 'sight' seen with the eyes?
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:09
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Of course, but how?

From the collective memory of the other senses?
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:10
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is this spiritual or more something for "science"
    Yes!
  7. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:18
    Originally posted by josephw
    Of course, but how?

From the collective memory of the other senses?
    What they are explaining might not be anything like what we normally see. They are just explaining the "images" in their head. Of course, since they have never "seen" before, they cannot possibly have a frame of reference to know what they are describing. I am therefore sceptical as to how much it is the blind person describing compared to how much the person asking the questions is interpreting from the blind person's descriptions.

I am also more interested in details from the original research, rather than what someone describes from a second hand blog post.
  8. Milton Keynes, UK
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:21
    Originally posted by josephw
    I don't put a whole lot of faith in NDE's.

So I can't really answer the question except to say, that if NDE's are legitimate, then perhaps the 'sight' experienced may be the brain's ability to piece together a picture from the other senses that resembles 'sight'.

Was the 'sight' seen with the eyes?
    It is actually our brain that "sees" anyway. The eyes just pick up the data, along with the other senses, and the brain interprets the information.

There is no way a person who has seen with their eyes can comprehend what someone who has always been blind "sees".
  9. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:46
    Originally posted by lausey
    It is actually our brain that "sees" anyway. The eyes just pick up the data, along with the other senses, and the brain interprets the information.

There is no way a person who has seen with their eyes can comprehend what someone who has always been blind "sees".
    My guess is they probably see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_constant
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 22:50
    Originally posted by lausey

".., and the brain interprets the information."

I agree that the brain is the focal point of the information gathered by our senses, but I submit that the interpretation of the information is a function of the spirit.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 23:153 edits
    In the article is describes those blind since birth who have had NDE as having exactly the same disorientation and response to sight being given via some medical procedure to those who have been blind since birth.

In other words, to be able to have images radomly appear in ones head there needs to be a point of reference and without this point of reference disorientation kicks in. How can one have images appear for the first time as if able to see when they have never actually been able to see in their entire lives?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    03 Apr '11 23:23
    My guess is they probably see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_constant
    So during these "hallucinations" those having NDE's are able to accuratly describe what is going on around them during their NDE? How can one be so lucid and have hallucinations at the same time?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree