1. Joined
    26 Jan '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 08:44
    This topic makes me think of an excerpt from the God Delusion, where Dawkins discusses the famous philosopher Bertrand Russell's theoretical scenario where he, a devout atheist, dies and goes to heaven where he meets God. God says to him, 'Bertrand why didn't you believe in me my child?' He responded 'Just not enough evidence God....not enough evidence'.

My reaction would be much like that
  2. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:42
    Originally posted by The Dude 84
    This topic makes me think of an excerpt from the God Delusion, where Dawkins discusses the famous philosopher Bertrand Russell's theoretical scenario where he, a devout atheist, dies and goes to heaven where he meets God. God says to him, 'Bertrand why didn't you believe in me my child?' He responded 'Just not enough evidence God....not enough evidence'.

My reaction would be much like that
    The evidence is there if you are open to it and seek it!
  3. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:43
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is 'spirit form'?
    Our souls.
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:56
    Originally posted by Jay Joos
    Our souls.
    What are they?
  5. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 09:58
    The evidence is there if you are open to it and seek it!
    The evidence for invisible pink unicorns is there if you are open to it and seek it. The quote was 'not enough evidence' not 'no evidence'. The other important criteria is quality of evidence.
  6. Joined
    25 May '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 10:27
    There's also a lot of circumstantial evidence that the bible is not true. You know I hope that the Vulgata was written by Jerome CENTURIES after Christ himself? You know perhaps that untill Jerome and the church decided to unify the story, that there were a lot of different stories (and by a lot, I mean really a lot: everyone had another story)? You know that in 2000 years all of the old Classical text contain faults? You know that the christians began to flourish only around 280 cause the standard of living in the Roman Empire had severly declined due to the Soldier Emperors? People wanted to flee out of their existance: hoping that after death there would be some sort of better world. Christianity was one of the mysterical cults from the east and provided this.
    I'm pointing out a heap of facts from the early days to point out that already at that time there could have been a lot of uncertainty, a lot of faults. This is 400 years, imagine what'll happen to a story when it's re-told for 1600 years! Try to tell a story to 10 people and watch how the story is mutated at the end!
    And apart from all this, we can explain almost everything with our evolution theory. We almost don't need a god anymore. And yes you can ask:what was there before the Big Bang? And I can answer that pretty easily: We don't know YET! But you have had 2000 years to think your stuff out, we only a few hundred. We're improving our equipment every day, we will know in the end. And an explanation, just as easy as your explanation, would just be 'the world has always existed, it neither formed nor will cease to exist: it will repeat itself over and over again'. Go ahead, try to prove I'm wrong! You can't, cause there's no evidence you can provide contrary to this believe, just like I can't provide evidence against a god.
  7. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 12:08
    What are they?
    I really dont need to tell you that!!!
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 13:55
    I really dont need to tell you that!!!
    Why do you feel the need to post in this forum? Every time you cant answer a difficult question you make a vague one line answer with no explanation eg:
    Free will,
    spirit form,
    souls
    etc
    When I ask for and explanation you act like its obvious but still don't answer the question.

Yes, you do need to tell me what you mean by a soul or I cant answer your question "So spirit form has no thought?"

If you really think that everyone knows what you mean by 'free will', 'spirit form' or 'soul' then you are sadly misled.
  9. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 14:40
    Why do you feel the need to post in this forum? Every time you cant answer a difficult question you make a vague one line answer with no explanation eg:
    Free will,
    spirit form,
    souls
    etc
    When I ask for and explanation you act like its obvious but still don't answer the question.

Yes, you do need to tell me what you mean by a soul or I cant answer ...[text shortened]... knows what you mean by 'free will', 'spirit form' or 'soul' then you are sadly misled.
    Good grief... i post in this forum because i like too....free will.... your questions are not difficult,just obvious...

I would like to see if anyone else knows what free will,soul,spirit form is! i bet the majority could answer....

A soul is your life essense.... your inner being.... your karma....your emotions.....

Thats as much as it gets!
  10. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 14:45
    Originally posted by RAU4ever
    There's also a lot of circumstantial evidence that the bible is not true. You know I hope that the Vulgata was written by Jerome CENTURIES after Christ himself? You know perhaps that untill Jerome and the church decided to unify the story, that there were a lot of different stories (and by a lot, I mean really a lot: everyone had another story)? You know th ...[text shortened]... provide contrary to this believe, just like I can't provide evidence against a god.
    You have my applause.
    A clear mind in this forum, finally.
    My hope in humanity was born again.
  11. Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 15:27
    What are they?
    Souls are a hypothetical concept originally used to explain one's mental faculties, responses, ect. (and in some versions, life).
  12. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 16:23
    There...Retrovirus knows!
  13. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 16:241 edit
  14. Standard memberagryson
    AGW Hitman
    http://xkcd.com/386/
    Moves
    29 Sep '07 14:591 edit
    Originally posted by Retrovirus
    Souls are a hypothetical concept originally used to explain one's mental faculties, responses, ect. (and in some versions, life).
    Yet an alternative hypothesis of all of those things are that it is the brain, a well understood organ which operates in a very nearly perfectly understood manner (the auditory cortex for example has already been fully reverse engineered). We even have the analogy of computers to show that the principles can apply to more than one particular case, a very ggod thing when dealing with a hypothesis that you want to obtain a theory from, yet all of this is impossible with any concept of the soul.
    Though I agree with Twhitehead that there are several different versions of what a soul is, and to answer your specific question, your specific definition of soul is required. Otherwise he'd just be guessing.

Edit: Spelling

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree