Moves
    24 Sep '05 19:311 edit
    Why do we need to know?
  2. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 19:40
    As much as I hate to say it, you've made a good point. Why should a god, if one exists, care if we worship him or not as long as we are good people.
  3. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 19:41
    Originally posted by UmbrageOfSnow
    As much as I hate to say it, you've made a good point. Why should a god, if one exists, care if we worship him or not as long as we are good people.
    As much as you hate to say it explain?!
  4. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 20:16
    Awwww... Sorry, dude, but's that's one of the most shallow statements and conclusions I've ever seen.

Think of it more rationally - Ok, you're a computer programmer and you make an immense, incredibly complex and difficult program. do you expect that program to just gather cyber-dust?! No way, you expect that program to do what you designed it to do.

Now, if there is a God, who designed the universe and man, with intelligence and a free will, He wants something back. And I think that must be a high priority your life (if you think there is a God).

Dude, think a little deeper before posting a pillow full of fluff next time! 😞
  5. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 20:48
    Originally posted by RatX
    Awwww... Sorry, dude, but's that's one of the most shallow statements and conclusions I've ever seen.

Think of it more rationally - Ok, you're a computer programmer and you make an immense, incredibly complex and difficult program. do you expect that program to just gather cyber-dust?! No way, you expect that program to do what you designed it to do.
    ...[text shortened]... re is a God).

Dude, think a little deeper before posting a pillow full of fluff next time! 😞
    I don't think that it's shallow at all. Actually, I think it's you who doesn't appreciate his simple, yet straight-forward answer. Or maybe you just don't want to see it that way. Your answer, on the other hand, is quite open to interpretation. So God is a computer programmer, and expects his work to give back? And you just happen to know what we are desinged to do? Damn, I wish I had your type of connections. So tell me, where did you meet God? Or do you know him through a friend? Since you know our purpose down here...

"Now, if there is a God, who designed the universe and man, with intelligence and a free will, He wants something back. And I think that must be a high priority your life (if you think there is a God)."

Again, thank you for making it clear to us that you assume that "He wants something back". And that it "must be a high priority [in our lives]". If other people dont believe this, but they do believe in God, it MUST be those "other" people who are the wrong ones. So I ask again, where did you meet God when he told you the "right" way to live life?
  6. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 20:53
    what is your definition of a good person?
  7. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 21:04
    Originally posted by lioyank
    I don't think that it's shallow at all. Actually, I think it's you who doesn't appreciate his simple, yet straight-forward answer. Or maybe you just don't want to see it that way. Your answer, on the other hand, is quite open to interpretation. So God is a computer programmer, and expects his work to give back? And you just happen to know what we are de ...[text shortened]... ng ones. So I ask again, where did you meet God when he told you the "right" way to live life?
    So God is a computer programmer, and expects his work to give back? And you just happen to know what we are desinged to do? Damn, I wish I had your type of connections. So tell me, where did you meet God? Or do you know him through a friend? Since you know our purpose down here...

Stupid.

I mentioned nothing about what our purpose is. I was simply pointing out what philosophical and logical implications the existence of God would have.

So try to think (emphasis on reason and logic - not trying to find flaws and errors to hit on):
    If God created the earth and man - this would mean that man has a purpose in his existence. And that purpose would have something to do with God, obviously (had to point that out for you). God would not have created the universe and all that's in it for no purpose, just allowing man to do as he pleases.

Live a good life? Vague and meaningless, not simple and straightforward...
  8. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 21:19
    Originally posted by RatX
    [b]
    If God created the earth and man - this would mean that man has a purpose in his existence.
    You ASSUME that man would have a purpose. That doesn't have to be the case. If there really is a God, then He can do whatever He wants to do, no? He could create millions of people for no reason that is apparent to us. Remember, God is ABOVE us. He is HIGHER than our own understanding, right? Since He is, afterall, God. So why try and understand Him? We cannot understand Him if He truly is God --- not some concept that people try to play off as being God, when in actuality they still try to understand Him and rationalize what He is and what His purpose for us is.....
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '05 23:49
    But................whats the purpose of knowing there's a God like for example what would be the purpose of your goldfish knowing about u?? No purpose.........
  10. Joined
    14 Jun '04
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 01:031 edit
    I personally think the bible is very contradictory.

Example: Pride, one of the seven deadly sins, but God created us to worship him. Isn't that pride?

Another example, taken from George Carlin: God loves us, but people die? People starve, suffer, get raped and murdered.
  11. The sky
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 01:24
    Originally posted by Alpha10
    I personally think the bible is very contradictory.

Example: Pride, one of the seven deadly sins, but God created us to worship him. Isn't that pride?
    I guess the idea is that pride is a sin because we are only humans and pretty worthless compared with god. So it would be a sin for humans, but not for god, because his pride would be justified.

The god of the old testament seems to be quite worried about humans becoming godlike (the Tower of Babel is a good example). Some of the biblical laws, like the one against pride, seem to be a way to keep the distance.
  12. Joined
    07 Apr '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 03:23
    pride is only a sin, because the church decided that pride leads to ambition, and when people are ambitious, they are harder to control
  13. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 05:37
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    Why do we need to know?
    You don't "need" to know. Like many/most aspects of knowledge, gaining it or lacking it will shape you as a person and/or your life.

I don't "need" to know how to operate a microwave, balance a checkbook, or that the sun will come up tomorrow. I am pleased to know it anyway.
  14. Joined
    28 Aug '05
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 10:07
    Originally posted by Omnislash
    You don't "need" to know. Like many/most aspects of knowledge, gaining it or lacking it will shape you as a person and/or your life.

I don't "need" to know how to operate a microwave, balance a checkbook, or that the sun will come up tomorrow. I am pleased to know it anyway.
    I agree, thats why I'm saying why do we need to know, as in everyone who constantly questions it...
  15. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 10:534 edits
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I guess the idea is that pride is a sin because we are only humans and pretty worthless compared with god. So it would be a sin for humans, but not for god, because his pride would be justified.

The god of the old testament seems to be quite worried about humans becoming godlike (the Tower of Babel is a good example). Some of the biblical laws, like the one against pride, seem to be a way to keep the distance.
    Nordlys: "The god of the old testament seems to be quite worried about humans becoming godlike ...

Only if humans try to be "God-like" in a way God disapproves off, meaning if they chose to enter into a competitive relationship with Him. In this sense there is absolutely no difference between God in the Old or the New Testament.

Nordlys: "Some of the biblical laws, like the one against pride, seem to be a way to keep the distance.

It is not a way to keep the distance, on the contrary ! It is a way to help people keeping the relationship between God and human beings cristal clear and correct. In His law God shows us the way towards Him. Above all God's law is a warning against the wrong way, the mimetic competitive way, to become "God-like".

God wants us to be like his Son who is a person in the Divine Trinity and therefore 100 % God. God tells us to obey His Son and invites us to become "God-like", but only by acknowledging Him, Emmanuel, as our Lord and Saviour and obeying and loving Him. He is the Way.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree