1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 00:39
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If that's true, he is doing a bad job. You may say that those who don't believe there is a god are close-minded and wouldn't believe even if he'd show himself. But there are many people who very much want to believe and who hope that there is a god, and yet they can't believe because god doesn't show himself, and they don't have enough evidence. And o ...[text shortened]... re, they don't show it by going away (maybe leaving a book which says they are there), do they?
    I was curious about your photographs of the aurora borialis. Was there ever any thoughts of the transcendence of God as you contemplated this phenomenon? One of the things that mose fascinates me is the wide spectrum of "God experiences" in the human condition.
  2. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 06:18
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    First of all it needs to be said that the Deadly Sin of Pride does not refer to the meaning of the term "pride" we use every day. For instance if you are proud to have passed your exams, than this hasn't got anything to do with the deadly sin we call Pride. Being proud of your achievements or being proud of your family members doesn't consitute the Dead ...[text shortened]... desire to essay what exceeds one's capacity."

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12405a.htm
    Yeah, I understand what "pride" in the vicious sense means. I was asking for clarification concerning the "mimetic competitive relationship" God would have to bear to Himself in order to be accused of being prideful. What do you mean by this?
  3. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 08:35
    Originally posted by Vladamir no1
    I agree, thats why I'm saying why do we need to know, as in everyone who constantly questions it...
    Well, I would say that as we are beings of intelligence, we feel a need to identify ourselves and that includes the questions of origin and purpose. I suppose the "need" varies from person to person and is greatly a matter of perspective.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 17:49
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    I was curious about your photographs of the aurora borialis. Was there ever any thoughts of the transcendence of God as you contemplated this phenomenon? One of the things that mose fascinates me is the wide spectrum of "God experiences" in the human condition.
    I remember that when I described my first aurora experience in a post to a mailing list, I wrote something like "I am not a religious person, but I am tempted to call this a religious experience". I couldn't find another word for it. It's more a feeling than a thought, though, or a mixture of feelings like awe, joy and "connectedness". However, when I say "religious", I am not thinking (and didn't think during or after the experience) of any kind of god (that may sound strange, but it makes sense when you consider that some religions don't have a god or gods). But I guess the religious concept including god(s) which would fit best with those "religious feelings" would be some form of pantheism.

I am not sure how much sense I am making, these things are hard to put into words.
  5. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 18:10
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I remember that when I described my first aurora experience in a post to a mailing list, I wrote something like "I am not a religious person, but I am tempted to call this a religious experience". I couldn't find another word for it. It's more a feeling than a thought, though, or a mixture of feelings like awe, joy and "connectedness". However, when I ...[text shortened]... pantheism.

I am not sure how much sense I am making, these things are hard to put into words.
    When you say "these things are hard to put into words" you simply voiced more theology than the typical posted in this forum.
  6. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 18:131 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    When you say "these things are hard to put into words" you simply voiced more theology than the typical posted in this forum.
    And you are the expert on theology? 😛
  7. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 19:135 edits
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Yeah, I understand what "pride" in the vicious sense means. I was asking for clarification concerning the "mimetic competitive relationship" God would have to bear to Himself in order to be accused of being prideful. What do you mean by this?
    Satan chose to enter into a mimetic competitive relationship with God. He rebelled and wanted to become God and master himself, replacing Him and determining and deciding what is right and wrong. This is the sin of Pride in the meaning of the Seven Deadly sins.

Because God is God himself he cannot enter into a mimetic competitive relationship with Himself. He cannot compete with Himself to replace Himself. It is impossible. Therefore God cannot commit the sin of Pride from which all sins derive.

From Mark 8:33 KJV

[31] And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
    [32] And he spake that saying openly. And Peter took him, and began to rebuke him.
    [33] But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men.

In the above Peter doesn't want Christ to suffer. He doesn't want Christ to be put to death. Now, why is this unacceptable to Christ ? Isn't this the humane and charitable thing to do ? Hasn't Christ taught Peter and us to reduce suffering and fight injustice ? Why then does He call Peter satan ?
    Peter wants to replace God's decisions and plans by his own plans and thus trying to take God's place, thus entering into a mimetic competitive relationship with God. Therefore Christ got angry, rebuked Peter and even called him satan. This is often not understood by many people including Christians. Christ called Peter satan, adversary, stumbling block, because peter decided to enter into a competitive relationship with God. Jesus rightfully rebukes him and called him satan, because entering into a mimetic competitive relationship with God is satan's choice. Christ teaches us this shouldn't be our nor Peter's choice.
  8. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 19:29
    Originally posted by Halitose
    And you are the expert on theology? 😛
    I am a searching human being so yes, I am an expert on theology.
  9. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 20:20
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    Satan chose to enter into a mimetic competitive relationship with God. He rebelled and wanted to become God and master himself, replacing Him and determining and deciding what is right and wrong. This is the sin of Pride in the meaning of the Seven Deadly sins.

Because God is God himself he cannot enter into a mimetic competitive relationship with Himself ...[text shortened]... nship with God is satan's choice. Christ teaches us this shouldn't be our nor Peter's choice.
    Cool, thanks.
  10. Felicific Forest
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 20:24
    Originally posted by bbarr
    Cool, thanks.
    You're welcome.
  11. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 22:301 edit
    ok I just have one quick question. Do any of you non- belivers think there are demons or demonic spirits?
  12. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 22:521 edit
    Originally posted by kbzaerogurl
    ok I just have one quick question. Do any of you non- belivers think there are demons or demonic spirits?
    Would that be logical?
  13. Hamelin: RAT-free
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 10:41
    Originally posted by lioyank
    You ASSUME that man would have a purpose. That doesn't have to be the case. If there really is a God, then He can do whatever He wants to do, no? He could create millions of people for no reason that is apparent to us. Remember, God is ABOVE us. He is HIGHER than our own understanding, right? Since He is, afterall, God. So why try and understand Him? We can ...[text shortened]... they still try to understand Him and rationalize what He is and what His purpose for us is.....
    If God was you (heaven forbid) he might actually create something for no reason...

Well done, you did point out ONE truth - we cannot fully understand God. But if God created man, He did so for a reason (reason with that, please!). If you believe the Bible - God created man for the purpose of bringing glory to Him, and having fellowship with Him. If you don't believe the Bible and still somehow believe there's a God, you might figure out your purpose through trial-and-error when you're eighty with one foot in the grave, the other negociating with a banana peel.

Don't blabbler off as a teenager trying to sound profound in throwing a rebuttal - if you can't respond intelligently, just keep quiet. That's a great lesson to learn; later in life, it may cost you your marriage, or career, or worse yet, your ego!
  14. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    28 Sep '05 11:00
    Originally posted by kbzaerogurl
    Do any of you non- belivers think there are demons or demonic spirits?
    Rum has treated me in a demonic fashion more than once.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree