1. Cape Town
    Moves
    09 Jun '06 07:48
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Some religions may claim the same, but a simple cursory look at their beliefs will reveal otherwise. All religions have checklists of do's and don'ts, actions which must be taken to gain their gods' approbation and/or achieve salvation/spiritual states. These checklists depend on the merit of the individual. Christianity does not.
    A lack of checklists does not somehow make your beliefs less of a religion. I wasnt trying to say that other religions claim a lack of checklists but rather they would claim that thier beliefs are the truth and yours are merely 'religion'.
    And again your use of the word Christianity only refers to a very small minority of people claiming to be Christian. In fact you are the only person I have met who has made that claim, though others on this site have implied that you are not alone.
    Is it the implication of your beliefs that there is no longer right and wrong or just that right and wrong have no penalties associated with them?
  2. Standard memberknightmeister
    knightmeister
    Uk
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 18:48
    Originally posted by drjegc
    I believe in God but I dont believe in religions of any kind ...
    if I am not an agnosthic or atheist , I would be .... ( I am looking for the right word )
    Sounds to me like you are talking about Spirituality. Why don't you tell us how you summarise your own belief in God ? What's it based on?
  3. Joined
    04 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '06 19:58
    really ? what about the ten commandments ?
    Exactly what I was thinking. Or the seven deadly sins. Are they not do's and don’ts?
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 01:37
    Which word define it ?
    reasonable
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 02:33
    really ? what about the ten commandments ?
    The entire codex has been resoundly fulfilled; divorce papers sit on the table, awaiting signatures.
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 02:34
    Originally posted by phillip pullman
    Exactly what I was thinking. Or the seven deadly sins. Are they not do's and don’ts?
    Part of a religion, but not part of Christianity.
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jun '06 02:37
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    A lack of checklists does not somehow make your beliefs less of a religion. I wasnt trying to say that other religions claim a lack of checklists but rather they would claim that thier beliefs are the truth and yours are merely 'religion'.
    And again your use of the word Christianity only refers to a very small minority of people claiming to be Christian. ...[text shortened]... no longer right and wrong or just that right and wrong have no penalties associated with them?
    There is only a right way to do a right thing. You cannot do a right thing in a wrong way, nor can you do a wrong thing in a right way. The Bible is very specific about divine discipline for sowing the wrong type of seeds, spiritually speaking. All action is either rewarded or punished in varying degrees, as befits the action.

However, there is a distinction between action and faith. Non-meritorious, faith is the only means of salvation. No action that man is able to undertake will ever be enough to gain the approbation of God.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 05:26
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    There is only a right way to do a right thing. You cannot do a right thing in a wrong way, nor can you do a wrong thing in a right way. The Bible is very specific about divine discipline for sowing the wrong type of seeds, spiritually speaking. All action is either rewarded or punished in varying degrees, as befits the action.

However, there is a dis ...[text shortened]... on. No action that man is able to undertake will ever be enough to gain the approbation of God.
    sorry but I read the Bible many times and I cannot accept that book as sacred or wrote it by God ... I cannot accept that God made a pact or alliance only with one ethnic group ( and the others ? ) ... and even worst many things changed in the New Testament: Jesus as God's son and the Holly Spirit ... the Old Testament talked about the three Gods in one ? or why a second coming for the Doomsday ? and why the followers of Jesus need to spread the word to the rest of the world ? ( when God changed his pact ? ) etc, etc ...
  9. London
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 08:04
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    reasonable
    Would it be unreasonable to conclude that a particular organised religion is, in fact, true?
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 22:04
    no
  11. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 00:23
    no
    Why not?
  12. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 05:14
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    reasonable
    😀
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 16:531 edit
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    Why not?
    organised or not , religion is a human invention ! How could you expect that God speaks only to a single group of human beings ??? Why God would do that ???
  14. London
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 19:13
    organised or not , religion is a human invention ! How could you expect that God speaks only to a single group of human beings ??? Why God would do that ???
    I'm not saying God speaks only to a single group of human beings - believing that a particular organised religion has the fulness of truth does not imply believing that other religions have no truths in them.

Also, you're begging the question by saying that religion is a human invention. There's no reason to assume that all religions are human inventions - one or more may be divinely revealed.

As to why God would choose to reveal certain truths only to a particular group of human beings and not others - who knows? Maybe that particular group or race have earned it through the faith of their ancestors. Maybe He wants a particular group to be an example to other groups, or to evangelise them.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 22:15
    then some human groups have privileges ? in the name of God ?

In America when the Spanish and Portuguese kingdoms conquered these lands , indian tribes were forced to change his beliefs in the name of the Holly Cross... The other option was to die burned, hanged, garrotted, or tortured by the inquisitors ...

Evangelization ? Why ? The jewish dont have the order to evangelize anybody ... why God changed the order ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree