1. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:33
    Originally posted by rwingett
    I've never heard anyone use the term "medium" atheist. It's beginning to sound like a menu item:

Excuse me, sir, but how would you like your atheist cooked? Medium Rare? Very good, sir.

I suppose no. 1 and no. 2 are fairly accurate, although I might quibble a bit with no. 2.
    I 'm sure someone would be glad to oblige you , though I think most would want you well-done.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:33
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Rob, do you find any purpose in the "mystical?" I know that there are some people who meditate to lower their blood pressure and promote a sense of well-being. I'm not arguing for God in this, but rather a tangible outcome of a chosen "higher power."
    Some people may experience certain things due to a placebo effect. But the question remains as to whether that is the best way to treat their condition, and whether the side effects outweigh the supposed relief they get.

Here's a commercial:

Faith may reduce your blood pressure. Side effects may include zealotry, bigotry, spontaneous lobotomy, reduced intelligence, an increased likelihood of dying in a holy war, the burden of original sin, etc............
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:35

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:37

5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:37

6. Graceland.
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:38

Faith may reduce your blood pressure. Side effects may include zealotry, bigotry, spontaneous lobotomy, reduced intelligence, an increased likelihood of dying in a holy war, the burden of original sin, etc............

Dude, the ship is sailing and there are only theists left on the island. no1 sais he's about to leave. Now if someone would kindly escourt you off my island and back to the debating cruiseliner, I'd be most appreciative 😉

7. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:40
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    [b]

Dude, the ship is sailing and there are only theists left on the island. no1 sais he's a ...[text shortened]... court you off my island and back to the debating cruiseliner, I'd be most appreciative 😉

[/b]
    Don't send him away as I'm learning from him and vice versa.
  8. Graceland.
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:41
    Don't send him away as I'm learning from him and vice versa.

Plenty of room for you too Kirk. I think its for the best that you go. Knowing the zealots on this island, I've no doubt you'd be the first casualty 🙂

9. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:43
    Originally posted by pcaspian
    [b]Don't send him away as I'm learning from him and vice versa.

Plenty of room for you too Kirk. I think its for the best that you go. Knowing the zealots on this island, I've no doubt you'd be the first casualty 🙂

[/b]
    I'm sure it would bring a hearty "Praise Jesus" from many. God bless and you have a nice day too.
  10. Standard memberkrisvictor
    Chess Student
    Richmond, VA
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:49
    Say I'm an atheist.
    I BELIEVE there is no God. No one has sufficeintly proven to me otherwise. My faith lies in the non-existance of God.
    Because I BELIEVE I exist, my first ancestor must have come from random mutation of carbon-based molecules. AFter all, I must have come from somewhere somehow without a "Master Designer".
    Because I am a higher form of life, I am able to reason and control my surroundings much more efficiently and effectively than my predecessors. I can pretty much do what I want with those of a lower life form.
    Since I BELIEVE there is no God, then there is no such thing as SIN and I do not have to hold myself accountable to anyone for the things that I do in secret.
    There are many like me; however, they do not all believe as I do.
    IF I am right in my belief and stand firm in my faith, then I can do anything in secret and there shall be no repercussion.
    IF I am wrong and there is a God, I am in deep trouble.

Hmmm.. I think it's time to start a "Prayer" thread. 🙂
  11. Graceland.
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:50
    I'm sure it would bring a hearty "Praise Jesus" from many. God bless and you have a nice day too.

Heck, fungal infections are nothing to stiff at dude. I'll suggest we all sing 'pretty fly for a white guy' atleast once a year in your honour 😉
  12. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 01:55
    Rob, do you find any purpose in the "mystical?" I know that there are some people who meditate to lower their blood pressure and promote a sense of well-being. I'm not arguing for God in this, but rather a tangible outcome of a chosen "higher power."
    Mystical experiences do not require any theism, if you include such things as Zen Buddhist satori experiences, for example. The interesting questions, for me, are:

Suppose you have profound experience that seems to lie outside your normal conscious experience—

1) Unless you have a fairly paltry notion of what the mind can do, does that experience necessarily have to originate from outside your own mind (e.g., the unconscious)? And how would you know?

2) If, based on whatever evidence, you decide that it originates from outside your own mind, does that necessarily mean it originates from outside the natural order. And how would you know?

I’m assuming here that the actual content of the experience, if there is any, is not self-validating. That is, if the experience seems to “communicate” something like “I am the god Krishna,” that does not necessarily mean that it is not your unconscious delivering the message.

That is why I think that, although such experiences might be valuable and useful (and may not even have side effects), they always ought to be treated as provisional and subject to question.
  13. )
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 12:43
    That is why it has been said that religion is the opiate of the masses. Because it convinces them to docilely go on with the drudgery of making money for their bosses, for which they'll supposedly be rewarded in the next life. But the jokes on them because there is no next life.

As the old I.W.W. song says:

You will eat, bye and bye,
    In that glo ...[text shortened]... sky.
    Work and pray, live on hay,
    You'll get pie in the sky when you die (that's a lie).
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that ... You know, I am not just sitting around "here" waiting to die ... I do consider the fact that there may not be an afterlife ... But having said that, I choose to live everyday as if it were my last (it sounds cheesy, but it seems to work).
    I've also learned to be compassionate with others; choosing to listen, rather than force my ideas ... So, if this is considered to be some sort of docile state of hallucinations, well then so be it, I'm enjoying the ride.

D😉
  14. Ann Arbor, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 19:21
    Originally posted by krisvictor
    IF I am right in my belief and stand firm in my faith, then I can do anything in secret and there shall be no repercussion.
    IF I am wrong and there is a God, I am in deep trouble.
    Well, if by doing something "in secret," you mean that nobody else is adversely affected by it, then I'd say it's probably not wrong in the first place, so you're OK either way. 🙂
  15. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 19:33
    Originally posted by padawan60
    Well, if by doing something "in secret," you mean that nobody else is adversely affected by it, then I'd say it's probably not wrong in the first place, so you're OK either way. 🙂
    That depends on whether or not you believe in the concept of Holy. If God is Holy and we corrupt our souls by sin, then we deserve nothing more than death.

But He loved us too much for that and came in the flesh in the form of Jesus Christ. Believe on Him and you shall be made holy in His eyes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree