1. Ann Arbor, MI
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 22:50
    Originally posted by Darfius
    That depends on whether or not you believe in the concept of Holy. If God is Holy and we corrupt our souls by sin, then we deserve nothing more than death.
    I do not believe in the Christian god, so I regard the concept of "sin" as irrelevant and disbelieve in the existence of an eternal soul. Also, the idea that a human being is deserving of death for not, as I see it, adequately following some poorly-defined rules of apocryphal origin strikes me as nothing short of obscene. Christianity -- at least as defined by some -- is simply not a philosophy that I can accept as moral. (Which I admit causes some internal dissonance, since there are many Christians whom I love and respect greatly as individuals.)

Instead, I live by the basic guideline "don't do anything to anyone that I wouldn't want them doing to me," and believe that as long as an act doesn't harm anyone else, it's OK. If there is a god and he's got a problem with that, then I'm sure I'll know about it before too much longer....
  2. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    03 Mar '05 22:58
    Originally posted by padawan60
    I do not believe in the Christian god, so I regard the concept of "sin" as irrelevant and disbelieve in the existence of an eternal soul. Also, the idea that a human being is deserving of death for not, as I see it, adequately following some poorly-defined rules of apocryphal origin strikes me as nothing short of obscene. Christianity -- at least as de ...[text shortened]... and he's got a problem with that, then I'm sure I'll know about it before too much longer....
    That basic guideline is straight from the Bible.

James 2:8 "If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:"

Mat 22:39 "And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Rom 13:9 "For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

3. Ann Arbor, MI
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 02:59
    That basic guideline is straight from the Bible.
    From there, and from other places as well (some of which predate it, as I recall). In general, it's a dandy philosophy. Unfortunately, some organized religions weigh it down with what I regard as lots of extra baggage such that the essential message risks being lost.
  4. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 03:17
    Originally posted by padawan60
    From there, and from other places as well (some of which predate it, as I recall). In general, it's a dandy philosophy. Unfortunately, some organized religions weigh it down with what I regard as lots of extra baggage such that the essential message risks being lost.
    What predates it?
  5. Ann Arbor, MI
    Moves
    04 Mar '05 13:52
    What predates it?
    A quick visit to Google gave me these pages, which list several alternate versions of the golden rule:

http://www.pgf.cc/religion/golden_rule.asp
    http://www.sowpub.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/read/16059

Neither page contains any dates, however, so they are of limited relevance. I do know that Confucius lived around 500 B.C., though, which easily predates Christianity and the Bible put together (IIRC) by the Council of Nicea in the 4th century. Whether some of the quotations predate the books in the Old Testament, however, I don't yet know.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Mar '05 03:24
    ,,,the christ was the word and he said 'lo, i will be with you always'..
    so even if the bible disappeared the word would not disappear...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree