1. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 16:36
    Originally posted by josephw
    The law of God calling adultery immoral and punishable by death is moral whether anyone likes it or not.
    It is at times like these that I am thankful that most Christians are all talk and no action.

So, Joseph, if in your country there was a law being proposed by the government that introduced the death penalty for adultery, would you support it?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 16:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    What about the OP question? Is a law requiring a woman to be stoned to death for adultery immoral?
    Now you've done it, whodey. Be prepared to be hounded unto the ends of the earth.
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:03
    Originally posted by whodey
    So what should be done to the likes of someone like Hitler who murdered miliions and sent more to their deaths via his wars? Or what should be done to the likes of Stalin who murdered far more?

You don't know? Why then sit in judgement of the Almighty? Let him have his way. Those who wrote about hell are writing if inspired by God. If you don't believe they are inspired, then fine. But if they are......what then?
    The likes of Hitler and Stalin needs to be worked against, if possible detained and failing that, killed. Like Sam Harris says, we would do this not to punish them for what they've done, but to prevent them from doing it again. It's not an act of retribution, but an act of necessity for a better future. The religious concept of sin and free will, exacting punishment for actions already taken, makes no sense whatsoever if at the same time you wish to preach love and forgiveness as the highest, most admirable pursuits. Instead, it would have made more sense to teach us how to prevent the Hitlers and Stalins of the world from forming in the first place.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:11
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Now you've done it, whodey. Be prepared to be hounded unto the ends of the earth.
    😵
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:121 edit
    Originally posted by C Hess
    The likes of Hitler and Stalin needs to be worked against, if possible detained and failing that, killed. Like Sam Harris says, we would do this not to punish them for what they've done, but to prevent them from doing it again. It's not an act of retribution, but an act of necessity for a better future. The religious concept of sin and free will, exacting pun ...[text shortened]... to teach us how to prevent the Hitlers and Stalins of the world from forming in the first place.
    No...no...no.....it seems to me that some form of punishment is in line, don't you think?

All I know is that it will be terrible indeed!!! 😲
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:21
    No...no...no.....it seems to me that some form of punishment is in line, don't you think?
    Not if you also believe that the highest virtues are love and forgiveness. It seems that from a christian perspective the world is not so much about the Hitlers and Stalins but how you, as a christian, deals with how you feel about them and their atrocities; as in, are you worthy of christ's love, or not?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:26
    Originally posted by FMF
    The killing of a woman for adultery is a moral atrocity. If it were to happen today, anywhere in the world, would you not condemn it without hesitation? A law that made provision for such savage inhumanity would be a sign of its times and a sign of the prevailing culture-based God concept in that time and place.
    "The killing of a woman for adultery is a moral atrocity."

It is a moral atrocity to commit adultery. Adultery is a direct affront to the righteousness of God.

I don't advocate capital punishment for adultery.
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:27
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is at times like these that I am thankful that most Christians are all talk and no action.

So, Joseph, if in your country there was a law being proposed by the government that introduced the death penalty for adultery, would you support it?
    No.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:30
    Originally posted by twhitehead

"It is at times like these that I am thankful that most Christians are all talk and no action."

Actually, all my talk is backed by my actions. What about you?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:30
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Well how would you answer FMF's question?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 17:33
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It has been a revelation to me in these last 12 months (and to my bitter disappointment and dismay) that many of the Christians here are trapped in the same paradigm as the crazy murdering butchers who are beheading people on the internet.

I say this without any intent to shock and in complete honesty - I think many Christians here have had their mor ...[text shortened]... d moral DNA. But then I take a step back and realise what incredible error and lunacy he speaks.
    There you go again. Bash bash bash.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 18:01
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Not if you also believe that the highest virtues are love and forgiveness. It seems that from a christian perspective the world is not so much about the Hitlers and Stalins but how you, as a christian, deals with how you feel about them and their atrocities; as in, are you worthy of christ's love, or not?
    We all have the oppurtunity to repent. If we do, Christ is willing to take on those sins for us. If not, then we are on our own.
  13. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 18:07
    We all have the oppurtunity to repent. If we do, Christ is willing to take on those sins for us. If not, then we are on our own.
    So, if Hitler, being a strong believer in christ, repented just before his death, he wasn't punished? He's up there with god almighty having a laugh?
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 18:13

I don't advocate capital punishment for adultery.
    Why not?

Would it be immoral?
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    02 Nov '14 18:581 edit
    [b]"It is at times like these that I am thankful that most Christians are all talk and no action."

Actually, all my talk is backed by my actions. What about you?[/b]
    You just backed out in your actions and admitted that you don't actually support the death penalty for adultery despite clearly stating that you think doing so would be the moral thing to do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree