1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 13:52
    It's a really bad motto for a country founded on a separation of church and state.

The phrase "separation of church and state" was not in the US Constitution to my knowledge. I believe that it was lifted from a letter of Thomas Jefferson in a Supreme Court case in about 1947. From then it entered into common language of Congress.
  2. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 16:07
    Originally posted by caissad4
    IN GOD WE TRUST was added to US currency by executive order by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.
    "Robbie, I'm unsure of the motto's origin but it's the only one I've been aware of for a lifetime." (my reply)

IN GOD WE TRUST was added to US currency by executive order by Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.

Thanks, caissad4. That time period until present pretty much encompasses the length of my awareness. -Gramps lol
  3. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 16:39
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Yes. It's a stupid motto even if a god did exist.

It's a really bad motto for a country founded on a separation of church and state.

It explicitly is endorsing monotheistic religion over anything and everything else.
    And implicitly endorsing Christianity over everything else.
    The founders had the God of Nature in mind when they stitched it altogether.
    Does that narrow down the field enough for you?

From T. Jefferson's letter to John Adams:
    I hold (without appeal to revelation) that when we take a view of the Universe, in it's parts general or particular, it is impossible for the human mind not to perceive and feel a conviction of design, consummate skill, and indefinite power in every atom of it's composition. . . it is impossible, I say, for the human mind not to believe that there is . . . a fabricator of all things.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 17:28
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The founders had the God of Nature in mind when they stitched it altogether.
    Does that narrow down the field enough for you?

From T. Jefferson's letter to John Adams:
    I hold (without appeal to revelation) that when we take a view of the Universe, in it's parts general or particular, it is impossible for the human mind not to perceive and feel a ...[text shortened]... I say, for the human mind not to believe that there is . . . a fabricator of all things.
    Its beautiful.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:30
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Looking at a One Dollar Bill right now: print's too small for me to read the reverse side circular wording on the left around the One Eyed [Masonic?] Pyramid as well as wording at the right beneath the Eagle. Can you translate the two?
    I can help you out here, Bob.

On the left side, above the pyramid, it says, ANNUIT COEPTIS. The official translation of this is "He (God) favors our undertakings." Below the pyramid, it says, NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM. The official translation of this is "New Order of the Ages."

Under the two sides of the Great Seal, it says (on the left), THE GREAT SEAL (and on the right) OF THE UNITED STATES. On the left side, at the base of the pyramid, is the year 1776 written in roman numerals. In the eagle's beak on the right side is a ribbon that says, E PLURIBUS UNUM, which means, "Out of many, one". Traditionally, the understood meaning of the phrase was that out of many states (or colonies) emerge a single nation. However, in recent years its meaning has come to suggest that out of many peoples, races, religions and ancestries has emerged a single people and nation—illustrating the concept of the melting pot.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:38
    "In God We Trust" was adopted as the official motto of the United States in 1956 as an alternative or replacement to the unofficial motto of E Pluribus Unum, which was adopted when the Great Seal of the United States was created and adopted in 1782.

The motto was added to coins in 1864, but not to paper currency until 1957.

It comes from the fourth and last stanza to the "Star-Spangled Banner", the national anthem of the US.

"O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
    Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
    Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
    Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
    Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
    And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
    And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!"
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:40
    False. You lose.

'In god We Trust' wasn't added to US currency until the Eisenhower administration, in 1957.

The phrase first appeared on the US 1 cent and two cent coins in 1864 at the initiative of Treasury Secretary Salmon P. Chase.

It wasn't until 1938 that all US coins bore the phrase.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 18:41
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Time to take it off the $ bills?
    8 years in opposition will always prevent that. But yes I agree.
  9. Joined
    16 May '13
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:40
    The USA says they are a Christian country but they don't following the teachings of Jesus.In God we trust has no meaning to most Americans.To the founding fathers of The USA this had great significance but America over the decades has slowly and morally collapsed.America is going to tern into a country like England (extremely high atheist population which is more than the religious population) and as atheism increases so will immorality. Atheists have no moral basis that's the problem.They decide what good or evil is meaning that things like murder are open to only being an opinion on whether it is good or bad.When you teach children that they are animals why is it a surprise when they act like animals.Why is it shocking that a gunman kills 20 children in a school when you teach him that he is only an animal,that he is the result of millions of mutations and that this world was formed around the basis of survival of the fittest.In atheism there is no need to care for those who are less fortunate or inferior to you.All hope is not lost some atheists are still good people in hart and eventually the atheists themselves will see the problem.I believe that the church has created more atheists than it has created christens.christens. Christian pastors teach the old testament book of genesis as if it is a fairytale and don't no how to answer questions like how did all the fossils get here ect. If you want to no more go to http://www.answersingenesis.org/ here you can answer all you atheist questions that the church has sadly failed to answer.
  10. Joined
    16 May '13
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:52
    Sounds to me like the Babylon in the book of revelation in which god says come out of here my people for ALL Nations have drunk from the wrath of her fortification.The meaning of the Babylon in this context refers to the tower of Babylon in which all nations tried to join together to create a great nation nation so that they would not lose each other if another flood came.America is in bible prophecy type in on youtube america in bible prophecy.or do some research on seventh day adventist Christian sites.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:52
    Originally posted by houdini3000
    The USA says they are a Christian country but they don't following the teachings of Jesus.In God we trust has no meaning to most Americans.To the founding fathers of The USA this had great significance but America over the decades has slowly and morally collapsed.America is going to tern into a country like England (extremely high atheist population whic ...[text shortened]... s.org/ here you can answer all you atheist questions that the church has sadly failed to answer.
    Dude. Seriously. Use your spacebar and ENTER key more often.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 19:57
    The USA says they are a Christian country but they don't following the teachings of Jesus.In God we trust has no meaning to most Americans.To the founding fathers of The USA this had great significance but America over the decades has slowly and morally collapsed.America is going to tern into a country like England (extremely high atheist population whic ...[text shortened]... s.org/ here you can answer all you atheist questions that the church has sadly failed to answer.
    Heart has an "e" in it.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 22:01
    Sounds to me like the Babylon in the book of revelation in which god says come out of here my people for ALL Nations have drunk from the wrath of her fortification.The meaning of the Babylon in this context refers to the tower of Babylon in which all nations tried to join together to create a great nation nation so that they would not lose each other if ...[text shortened]... youtube america in bible prophecy.or do some research on seventh day adventist Christian sites.
    seventh day adventists? I'd rather eat paste.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 22:27
    Wall of text does 2000 damage to your eye socket...

Wow. Which reality do you live in?

Unfortunately the UK does not have more atheists than theists... Sadly.

There is no evidence that increased atheism leads to less morality or higher crime...
    In fact there is [weak] evidence of the reverse.

Morality doesn't come from religions or gods anyway.

Answersingenesis is a complete load of crock, and if that's your information source then
    That's probably why you have got it all so wrong.

Before your next post, I advise taking a long slow deep breath... And then typing your
    message out slowly utilising the return key as often as possible.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Jan '14 23:45
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    There is no evidence that increased atheism leads to less morality or higher crime...
    In fact there is [weak] evidence of the reverse.

Morality doesn't come from religions or gods anyway.
    Would you (or maybe I mean could you) define "evil" as a lack of morality? Or is your position that a lack of morality isn't necessarily "evil"?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree