1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 04:50
    Originally posted by sonship
    It seems a bit fanatical to me.

Fanatical was putting it on the currency in the first place!!
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 08:18
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Fanatical was putting it on the currency in the first place!!
    Why ?
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 21:07
    Why ?
    You think it more fanatical to take away a reference to a supernatural deity
    from the banknotes of a secular state than to put it on in the first place?

Think man! Regardless of your own beliefs ... think!
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 21:481 edit

I'm thinking. I'm thinking.

Some Americans wanted to remind themselves that ultimately their trust was not in themselves but in God. At least some prevailed to decide that they wanted this reminder on their money.

"Ultimately, we do not trust in this wealth, this fleeting wealth which can come and go, and which cannot buy us the really most important things in life. You know what ? In God we have our final trust."

If not all Americans by far, some wanted to remind themselves of this.

And don't look now, but look at the problems we're going through in spite of being among the richest countries.

The God who humbled Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Greece, Rome, and many proud empires, you don't think that God can cause the US to brought down more than a few notches ?

Maybe some spoiled rotten middle class guy unthankfully thinks nobody needs to trust in God. Your house will prove to be built upon the sand.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    26 Jan '14 21:514 edits

Why don't *you* think. This was 1956 in America. After the Korean War, when Americans still thought war meant something. Before Eisenhower warned us about the "military-industrial complex". Before Vietnam. Before the very public killing of a popular American President. Before corporations began the systematic take-over of government and the economy. Before America went off the gold standard. And long before an American President would resign in disgrace.

Religion, specifically the religion that resented the vulgarization of "Xmas," was as much a part of the culture as the soapbox derby and the Fourth of July parade. This was the decade in which the words "under God" were added to the Pledge of Allegiance. President Eisenhower, who had never been a church member until he decided to run for the presidency (he quickly became a Presbyterian), summed up the religiosity of the period when he said: "Our government makes no sense unless it is founded on a deeply felt religious belief -- and I don't care what it is."

It was in this culture that "In God We Trust" became the official motto of the United States, and as such, started to be printed on currency. It was a sign of the times, perhaps the last gasp of what could be called "innocence" in this country.

Of course, it's a far, far different America today. But that doesn't mean it's always been this way.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 00:462 edits

[b]The passage you quoted is from the Declaration of Independence, not the Constitution.

Oops.

DoI is not a governing document.

"In God We Trust" was not originally on the currency. It was added during the Eisenhower administration.

That it was added latter, I remember.
    And my question still stands to th ...[text shortened]... re.
    I was wondering.

It seems a bit fanatical to me.

Are you an American citizen ? ?
    And my question still stands to the US atheist activist crowd. Would they want to remove that statement from the Preamble.
    Which statement are you talking about?

Yes.

Edit: I don't think this is a matter of high importance. I would not say the change must happen immediately. If I were running things, I'd just order the new currency to be printed without it. Just phase it out.
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 05:43
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Why don't *you* think. This was 1956 in America. After the Korean War, when Americans still thought war meant something. Before Eisenhower warned us about the "military-industrial complex". Before Vietnam. Before the very public killing of a popular American President. Before corporations began the systematic take-over of government and the economy. ...[text shortened]... urse, it's a far, far different America today. But that doesn't mean it's always been this way.
    That helps explain the fanaticism. Thanks.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 07:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    And my question still stands to the US atheist activist crowd. Would they want to remove that statement from the Preamble.
    Which statement are you talking about?

Yes.

Edit: I don't think this is a matter of high importance. I would not say the change must happen immediately. If I were running things, I'd just order the new currency to be printed without it. Just phase it out.
    I still think it is good for all ctizens to be reminded that our money and government are not what we should put our trust in.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    27 Jan '14 13:32
    That helps explain the fanaticism. Thanks.
    If does help to explain atheism's ignorant, illusionary denial of God's existence.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 03:53

Any idea what European Countries print on their currencies and coins? Isn't the Queen's Photo used in the UK?
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 06:061 edit
    Should the masonic pyramid also be removed?

Zambia declared itself a 'Christian nation' - a political move to get votes.
  12. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 10:20
    If does help to explain atheism's ignorant, illusionary denial of God's existence.
    I agree. And also it does not explain the price of a loaf of bread.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 14:10
    I agree. And also it does not explain the price of a loaf of bread.
    The price of a loaf of bread will go up and go down. As a matter of fact it is not inconceivable that a situation could arise that there were no bread to sell and eat.

So some people wanted to remind themselves that ultimately "In God We Trust".

Don't be mad that everyone doesn't feel that way. Be tolerant. When the police come around ordering you which church you have to attend, send me an email. I'll help you tell them to get off your back.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 14:43
    Be tolerant.
    So you'd be perfectly OK with 'In Allah we trust', on some notes and 'In science we trust' on others? And maybe a few nice Buddhist sayings, and some Chinese proverbs on others.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 02:164 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    So you'd be perfectly OK with 'In Allah we trust', on some notes and 'In science we trust' on others? And maybe a few nice Buddhist sayings, and some Chinese proverbs on others.
    No, I don't care. Whatever they write on the US bill, what and who people really trust in will be manifested.

As for tolerance, I have tolerated the stupid pyramid with the eye without having any idea what it means.

Does it mean the Illuminati ?
    Does in mean the Masons ?
    It might as well have been something about Buddha or Allah.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree