In your opinion

In your opinion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Dec 07

Within the context of this forum, how do you think a Christian should conduct him/herself?

N

The sky

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by josephw
Within the context of this forum, how do you think a Christian should conduct him/herself?
I don't think it should matter whether you are a Christian or not. In my opinion everybody, Christian or not, should try to discuss the matter on hand without attacking others, being patronising or trying to force their own opinion on others.

L

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
I don't think it should matter whether you are a Christian or not. In my opinion everybody, Christian or not, should try to discuss the matter on hand without attacking others, being patronising or trying to force their own opinion on others.
how are christian forcing you to belive something?

N

The sky

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
how are christian forcing you to belive something?
They aren't (they wouldn't be able to anyway), but there are always people (Christians and non-Christians) who try to force their beliefs onto others.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
14 Dec 07

I don’t know how to answer such a question, Joseph.

I have banned myself from the forums twice (once for a few weeks, once for a couple of months—in addition to my occasional vacation) for behavior that I did not like in myself personally. At the same time, I have on occasion openly defended some whom others think are egregiously bad-mannered. On the other hand, if I take offense at what somebody else posts, I have to ask myself what it is about me that would take offense.

I guess I’d have to say: Define your own standards and hold yourself to them without excuse. Let others do the same for themselves.

Other than that, Nordlys’s guidelines seem pretty good. But I’m not going to hold anyone else to them.

d

Moves
14 Dec 07

I guess I think that anyone who comes on a discussion forum - Christian, atheist, deist, whatever - has to understand that their position, whatever it is, is fair game for questioning and criticical analysis.

Of course that questioning should alwasy be done respectfully, and never amount to a personal attack. But as long as that's the case, when you come here, you have to be willing to understand the criticisms people make about your position, even if you don't agree with them, so that you can respond to the in an intelligent and useful way. You have to be open to the questions, and open to the idea that discussing them can be meaningful and useful; otherwise, what are you doing here?

N

The sky

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by vistesd
Other than that, Nordlys’s guidelines seem pretty good. But I’m not going to hold anyone else to them.
Good point. I do recognise that some people have a different discussion style, and I tend to get used to it and just ignore things like personal attacks when someone seems to be unable or unwilling to do without them. It's when I start doing the same that I feel I need to do something about it.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by Nordlys
Good point. I do recognise that some people have a different discussion style, and I tend to get used to it and just ignore things like personal attacks when someone seems to be unable or unwilling to do without them. It's when I start doing the same that I feel I need to do something about it.
When was the last time you and I disagreed about anything? 🙂 If I even think that I might disagree on some minor point, I think long and hard about it first... (I’m trying to work something up on “a-hobbitism”, but somehow I don’t think it’s going to work.)

N

The sky

Moves
14 Dec 07

When was the last time you and I disagreed about anything? 🙂 If I even think that I might disagree on some minor point, I think long and hard about it first... (I’m trying to work something up on “a-hobbitism”, but somehow I don’t think it’s going to work.)
If I'd spend more time in the Spirituality Forum, I am sure we could find something to disagree about, even though it might require some work. 😉

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
14 Dec 07

Like a total ass.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Dec 07

I don’t know how to answer such a question, Joseph.

I have banned myself from the forums twice (once for a few weeks, once for a couple of months—in addition to my occasional vacation) for behavior that I did not like in myself personally. At the same time, I have on occasion openly defended some whom others think are egregiously bad-mannered. On the o ...[text shortened]... han that, Nordlys’s guidelines seem pretty good. But I’m not going to hold anyone else to them.
I know what you mean.
Self banning? I never thought of it that way.
I have felt the same way after thinking about what I had said, and how it made me feel.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
14 Dec 07

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Like a total ass.
Is there a subliminal message in that comment? 😵

TD8

Moves
14 Dec 07

I think if you treat other people with respect or whatever that's ok but besides the point.

The debating section is for debating. So long as you're making a good point that's the only thing that matters, and if someone calls you an idiot for something you said, defend your point so you don't sound like an idiot!

I'll debate my mother if I want someone to make me feel good.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
14 Dec 07

Like an aspiring martyr.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
15 Dec 07

I'd like to see them talk about themselves more. I like hearing about human foibles and sin. Like Visteds did in banning himself for his bad thoughts. We need more confession from Christians.