1. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 21:42
    Since Debates is just full of Right vs Left socio-political ramblings, I thought I'd post this here, though I doubt it will receive much interest.

Has anyone read any of WV Quine's work on the indeterminacy of translation? If so, can you help me with a quick summary, I'm having a really hard time getting my head around it. I'd be happy to try debating it here if anyone's interested.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    05 Feb '07 22:29
    Originally posted by Starrman
    Since Debates is just full of Right vs Left socio-political ramblings, I thought I'd post this here, though I doubt it will receive much interest.

Has anyone read any of WV Quine's work on the indeterminacy of translation? If so, can you help me with a quick summary, I'm having a really hard time getting my head around it. I'd be happy to try debating it here if anyone's interested.
    I'll look for it. Sounds interesting.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 07:22
    Try this? http://www.nickbostrom.com/old/quine.html

At a glance, it seems like pomokaka...restating the obvious in as luridly baroque a form as possible.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 11:27
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Try this? http://www.nickbostrom.com/old/quine.html

At a glance, it seems like pomokaka...restating the obvious in as luridly baroque a form as possible.
    I read that already and I think he's got the wrong end of the stick.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 12:08
    I read that already and I think he's got the wrong end of the stick.
    Is this any better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indeterminacy_of_translation

At least it's clear.
  6. Joined
    07 Mar '07
    Moves
    25 Jun '07 06:12
    Well I have not read the man. But if I was to take the ideas behind both terms being used, what is trying to be explained is that transfering meaning through translation is not an exact science. There is much outthere about whether an idea can actually be transmitted through syntax and grammar. My problem with that is if an idea could not be transmitted this way, than communication would not be possible because no one could be sure that any idea was being shared correctly or the same everytime it was repeated. Some of this comes out of the thought that a God who does not live or exist in the same reality as we do could not effectively get His ideas and truth across for us to understand.
  7. Standard membersmw6869
    Granny
    Parts Unknown
    Moves
    27 Jun '07 00:46

I assume there are no pictures?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree