1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 13:00
    @fmf said
    Look, I'm sorry KellyJay. But is this a "Yes" or "No" to my specific question?
    Not every questions answer is going to be binary.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 13:04
    @kellyjay said
    Do you think that people who are "led by God" are less likely to experience compassion fatigue over natural disasters than people who are not"led by God" ...is about as binary as questions come. If it's not, then your notion of people being "led by God" must be an incredibly wishy-washy and perhaps literally inconsequential thing.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 14:29
    @fmf said
    Do you think that people who are "led by God" are less likely to experience compassion fatigue over natural disasters than people who are not"led by God" ...is about as binary as questions come. If it's not, then your notion of people being "led by God" must be an incredibly wishy-washy and perhaps literally inconsequential thing.
    Being led by the limitless God always gives us what we need to do what He requires.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 14:34
    @kellyjay said
    Being led by the limitless God always gives us what we need to do what He requires.
    And how does this affect compassion fatigue in the people the word "us" refers to?
  5. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 15:04
  6. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 15:09
    @fmf said
    Compassion fatigue. And the influence of beliefs: a question posed n the wake of this latest and umpteenth mass-fatality natural disaster in this country.

With the 24 hour news cycle, there is virtually always some ghastly disaster unfolding somewhere on the planet.

People can and often do become numb to the numbers, the consequences, the frequency. I wonder to what exten ...[text shortened]... donesia - and, indeed, the relentless incidence of such tragedies across the globe year in year out.
    One might think, given the nature of what "religious belief/lack of religious belief" has on people's emotional makeup, that "compassion fatigue" would be an issue.

And I think it is, but how would it be measured? Everybody's different. I think you'd have to survey everyone on the planet and quantify the results to find out.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 15:22
    @secondson said
    And I think it is, but how would it be measured? Everybody's different. I think you'd have to survey everyone on the planet and quantify the results to find out.
    No pattern or tendency would emerge from which one could draw a conclusion until "everyone on the planet" had been surveyed? Are you sure?
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 15:25
    @secondson said
    One might think, given the nature of what "religious belief/lack of religious belief" has on people's emotional makeup, that "compassion fatigue" would be an issue.
    In what way - to your way of thinking - would "religious belief/lack of religious belief" be an issue in terms of compassion fatigue", assuming that some worldwide survey/measure had confirmed your expectation?
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 15:58
    @kellyjay said
    Especially when one of you eels wants a cop out 😆
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 17:15
    @fmf said
    In what way - to your way of thinking - would "religious belief/lack of religious belief" be an issue in terms of compassion fatigue", assuming that some worldwide survey/measure had confirmed your expectation?
    Well, all I know is that to the degree that people with or without religious belief would experience compassion fatigue, whether yea or nay, will have no affect on the frequency or magnitude of natural disasters.
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 18:46
    @fmf said
    And how does this affect compassion fatigue in the people the word "us" refers to?
    "Being a believer does not turn us into a different species."

We are people, our weaknesses are common among us.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 22:41
    @kellyjay said
    "Being a believer does not turn us into a different species."

We are people, our weaknesses are common among us.
    So you don't subscribe to all this stuff about the effect of the "indwelling Holy Spirit" and supernatural transformation and influence of Jesus at work that non-Christian people 'of the flesh' cannot possibly understand etc. etc. that posters like sonship and Romans1009 have written countless thousands of posts about?
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 23:44
    @fmf said
    So you don't subscribe to all this stuff about the effect of the "indwelling Holy Spirit" and supernatural transformation and influence of Jesus at work that non-Christian people 'of the flesh' cannot possibly understand etc. etc. that posters like sonship and Romans1009 have written countless thousands of posts about?
    You have a habit of taking something someone says and twists it into something
    completely different.

Context, but you knew that.

I'm down to two games from twelve I had going when I started posting again, I
    think I can do without this for the remainder of my time here as well.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 23:48
    @kellyjay said
    You have a habit of taking something someone says and twists it into something
    completely different.
    So the notion of the "indwelling Holy Spirit" is not connected to things like compassion?
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    24 Dec '18 23:55
    @fmf said
    So the notion of the "indwelling Holy Spirit" is not connected to things like compassion?
    Not for you to know.

Did you forget you don't believe in the supernatural?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree