1. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 00:25
    Originally posted by josephw
    Infinity is what you get when you add 1+1=2+1=3, and so on, forever.

How freakin' complicated does it have to be? For heaven's sake! 😉

Please don't ask me how long forever is. 😵
    Sorry, but it is much more complicated than that....
    Believe me, nobody regrets this more than mathematicians....
    Except maybe physicists.... ;-)
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 00:34
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    Sorry, but it is much more complicated than that....
    Believe me, nobody regrets this more than mathematicians....
    Except maybe physicists.... ;-)
    Okay. What's so complicated about infinity?

Just because no one can comprehend it doesn't mean one can't understand the idea. If one can understand the idea of infinity, knowing that one will never comprehend it, then one should be content with the idea. No?

Why get bogged down trying to comprehend a concept that can't be comprehended? Isn't it enough just to know infinity as an idea?
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 00:372 edits
    Okay. What's so complicated about infinity?

Just because no one can comprehend it doesn't mean one can't understand the idea. If one can understand the idea of infinity, knowing that one will never comprehend it, then one should be content with the idea. No?

Why get bogged down trying to comprehend a concept that can't be comprehended? Isn't it enough just to know infinity as an idea?
    You're idea is just wrong. No offence.

When you say 1+1=2 you are neglecting an infinite amount of numbers between one and two.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 01:42
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You're idea is just wrong. No offence.

When you say 1+1=2 you are neglecting an infinite amount of numbers between one and two.
    There are fractions between one and two.

One is the smallest whole number.

Infinity is akin to adding ones' together for eternity.
  5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 03:01

If you go back in the thread then you will realize why this isn't all that encompasses what infinity "is."

If you call 1 "one" and 1.1 "two" then what about 1.01? So you call 1.01 "two" then what about 1.001?

The class of infinity you are describing is the countably infinite but there is also an uncountable infinite.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 04:47
    Originally posted by vistesd
    I wanted to pry this concept loose from some other discussions that seem to be going on. Really, I just want to hear from those who have some maths background that can apply it to philosophical questions (there are a number of you here!).

I read a book called Aleph some years ago, but don’t know if I still have it (will make a search of my booksh ...[text shortened]... e beginning, whether some religionists like it or not—and so I’d like to keep it here if we can.
    Seriously? I've known what infinity was since I was 5. We learnt about it in big buildings called schools.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 05:43

That is only one possible infinity - a countable infinity. Some infinities are uncountable (like the real numbers which cannot all be expressed as fractions).
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 05:44
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Thank you. From a nondualist perspective, the Whole is—by definition—unbounded. But it may be finite. That’s just one consideration.
    What is the definition of 'the Whole'? Must the universe fit this definition? Is space for example necessarily unbounded?
  9. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 14:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    What is the definition of 'the Whole'? Must the universe fit this definition? Is space for example necessarily unbounded?
    By the Whole I mean the totality of facts (actual states of affairs) as an entirety in itself. [I perhaps should have made clear that I was speaking metaphysically.] This is by definition unbounded, since a boundary would require another fact (state of affairs). Whether or not the “universe” is unbounded depends on whether “universe” is defined as all there is (the totality of actual states of affairs). As a single dimension of the universe, I don’t know whether it must be unbounded; but whatever is the complete dimensionality of the Whole (as defined) must be unbounded, or there would be some other dimension that had not been taken account of.

If “universe” is defined so that there can be multiple universes (since that is sometimes suggested on here), and if each one of them is unbounded, they have actually no connection whatsoever, and such a state of affairs in principle cannot be verified or falsified (defeated). It might be incoherent, it’s imagining depending on treating “nothing” (nihil) as a “queer kind of something” (G.E. Moore) that is imagined as separating pseudo-dimensionally the separate totalities (but googlefudge can likely answer better). On the other hand, one can perhaps think of a “manifold universe” where U = u(1) + u(2) + … +u(n), however the u’s are connected.

I just mean to say that “universe” may be used to mean different things; those seem to be a couple of examples.

The definition of the “Whole” above is tautological. It says nothing about the nature of the Whole itself. As a nondualist, I posit such a totality as the state of affairs that ontologically holds—as opposed to an ontological dualism, which, though I am working somewhat from the other side on the other thread, I suspect might be simply incoherent.
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 17:59
    Originally posted by ChessPraxis
    Seriously? I've known what infinity was since I was 5. We learnt about it in big buildings called schools.
    Ah so you will obviously be able to give us an accurate definition and description of infinity with no trouble then.
  11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 20:36
    Ah so you will obviously be able to give us an accurate definition and description of infinity with no trouble then.
    Unlimited boundlessness
    Endless immensity
    An amount greater than any amount
    The part of a line or space or plane which is infinitly distant.
  12. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 20:40
    Unlimited boundlessness
    Endless immensity
    An amount greater than any amount
    The part of a line or space or plane which is infinitly distant.
    Nope, sorry that wont do.

Turns out the world is more complicated than they taught you at age 5.
  13. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 20:43
    Nope, sorry that wont do.

Turns out the world is more complicated than they taught you at age 5.
    At age 5 they just said it was the same size as your ego, we all then grasped the concept.
  14. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 20:50
    At age 5 they just said it was the same size as your ego, we all then grasped the concept.
    Very witty.

Infinity is a complicated mathematical concept.

One that is exceptionally difficult to fully grasp.

The question in the op is a perfectly reasonable one.

Do you have anything relevant to say, or are you just here to snark at people who want to
    increase there understanding of the world?
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 20:59
    Very witty.

Infinity is a complicated mathematical concept.

One that is exceptionally difficult to fully grasp.

The question in the op is a perfectly reasonable one.

Do you have anything relevant to say, or are you just here to snark at people who want to
    increase there understanding of the world?
    their

Grammar police!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree