1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 07:19
    I am about to start reading Yuval Noah Harari's "Homo Deus".

Review from The Guardian:

"At the heart of this spellbinding book is a simple but chilling idea: human nature will be transformed in the 21st century because intelligence is uncoupling from consciousness. We are not going to build machines any time soon that have feelings like we have feelings: that’s consciousness. Robots won’t be falling in love with each other (which doesn’t mean we are incapable of falling in love with robots). But we have already built machines – vast data-processing networks – that can know our feelings better than we know them ourselves: that’s intelligence. Google – the search engine, not the company – doesn’t have beliefs and desires of its own. It doesn’t care what we search for and it won’t feel hurt by our behaviour. But it can process our behaviour to know what we want before we know it ourselves. That fact has the potential to change what it means to be human."

The rest is here:
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/aug/24/homo-deus-by-yuval-noah-harari-review

Anyone read this book? Or does anyone have any ideas triggered by the in depth review?
  2. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 10:09
    Originally posted by @fmf

"At the heart of this spellbinding book is a simple but chilling idea: human nature will be transformed in the 21st century because intelligence is uncoupling from consciousness. We are not going to build machines any time soon that have feelings like we have feelings: ...[text shortened]... review

Anyone read this book? Or does anyone have any ideas triggered by the in depth review?
    I'm sure this is true, but I consider this direction disturbing.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 19:33
    "vast data-processing networks – that can know our feelings better than we know them ourselves: that’s intelligence."

What bollocks. How is that intelligence?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    03 Oct '17 23:28

"At the heart of this spellbinding book is a simple but chilling idea: human nature will be transformed in the 21st century because intelligence is uncoupling from consciousness. We are not going to build machines any time soon that have feelings like we have feelings: ...[text shortened]... review

"Or does anyone have any ideas triggered by the in depth review?"

I think you've found your god FMF. It's a machine, and it's name is google.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    04 Oct '17 04:00

Maybe the consciousness gets uploaded into the new synthetic brain?
    Either way it sounds like a good read. Seems like an apt metaphor for spirituality.
    Mind you I believe we already live in the Matrix so our technology could slowly be getting fed to us. Slowly. ..

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree