There are a lot of things that are invisible to our eyes;
    but we know that it exists. For example electricity and
    the wind are invisible, but would you say it does not
    exist because you can not see them? Maybe, evolution
    explains or causes this too. Maybe if you would reread
    that Holy Bible quote with the intent to understand rather
    than to criticise you could see how God could be known
    wthout seeing Him.
    Music is invisible to my eyes, as is the voice on a telephone or the wind in the trees, but I am not sure how that supports your position. I sort of know about electricity being there what with the light in the bulb and the sound from my stereo and I have had one hell of an electric shock behind an altar once in my angelic altar boy days (maybe I fell short of angelic on reflection but appearances are all) which proved to me that electricity is there, but not in fact that God was there.
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '11 17:51
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    There are a lot of things that are invisible to our eyes;
    but we know that it exists. For example electricity and
    exist because you can not see them? Maybe, evolution
    explains or causes this too. Maybe if you would reread
    wthout seeing Him.
    “....There are a lot of things that are invisible to our eyes;
    but we know that it exists. ...”

yes, and they are still not “clearly seen” because they are invisible but, instead, their existence is rationally “clearly deduced” indirectly from observation i.e. their existence is deduced from scientific method.
    How can “His eternal power and divine nature” be “clearly seen” if those things are “invisible”? -that is surely a logical contradiction.

“.... For example electricity and
    exist because you can not see them? ...”

No; read my previous quote above -their existence is deduced from scientific method.

“...Maybe if you would reread
    wthout seeing Him. ….”

It doesn't make any difference how many times I read the same logical contradiction, the answer is going to be the same; its a logical contradiction. And, the only thing I can deduce from a logical contradiction is certainly not “how God could be known without seeing Him” but, rather, it doesn't make sense thus nothing can be deduced from it (other than, in this particular case, the Bible has logical contradictions -which I already knew ) .
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    17 Apr '11 04:19
    Originally posted by vivify
    Because it would require an infinite number of coincidences, which all "just happened" to work together to create the universe.

For example, there just happned to be a Big Bang, which just happened to create trillions and trillions of particles, which just happened to form into atoms; those atoms just so happened to be able to ALL have electron shells th ...[text shortened]... n) can conclude that it's all just one insane case of random luck on a cosmic scale.
    I firmly believe in Intelligent Design and that God is the Designer,although I or for that matter no one can reply to the query as to who designed the Designer.Hindu theology says that God created himself !
    While that may be as it is,I came across some old arguments AGAINST the ID, by Kant of all the philosophers in the book " The Story of Philosophy" by Will Durant.
    I quote below for convenience of all.
    " Many objects in Nature show such beauty,such symmetry,and unity,as almost to drive us to the notion of supernatural design. But on the other hand,there are also in Nature many instances of waste and chaos,of useless repetition and multiplication;Nature preserves life but at the cost of how much suffering and death ! The appearance of external design,then,is not a CONCLUSIVE proof of Providence."
    Since this was written more than 200 years ago,it is obvious that arguments for and against ID have engaged the attention of Humanity for long.
    However, I also say that our arguments against or for ID are basically anthropomorphic i.e. based on our limited human view of Reality.
    We cannot know all the answers by reason or logic.
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '11 07:08
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    I firmly believe in Intelligent Design and that God is the Designer,although I or for that matter no one can reply to the query as to who designed the Designer.Hindu theology says that God created himself !
    While that may be as it is,I came across some old arguments AGAINST the ID, by Kant of all the philosophers in the book " The Story of Philosophy" b ...[text shortened]... ed on our limited human view of Reality.
    We cannot know all the answers by reason or logic.
    Yes, and that is why I consult the Holy Bible, which fills in the
    important gaps the I really need to know. I don't need to know
    everthing. My head would have to be too big for that.
  5. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    17 Apr '11 11:38
    True ! The Mathematician and a Believer,Blaise Pascal said that Heart has reasons of its own which the Head can never understand.
    Or,in the words of a Marathi playwright, the Madness of Devotion rather than the Compulsiveness of Logic will bring the Truth to the fore.
    Marathi is one of the several languages of India.
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '11 16:42
    “...Yes, and that is why I consult the Holy Bible, which fills in the
    IMPORTANT GAPS the I really need to know. ...” (my emphasis)

then the Bible is filling a few of those “IMPORTANT GAPS” in your brain with logical contradictions (like the one I just pointed out ) .
    So I don't think that the Bible is giving you something you “ really need to know” but rather is giving you something that will just fill up your brain with a torrential downpour of illogic.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Apr '11 16:45
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    “...Yes, and that is why I consult the Holy Bible, which fills in the
    IMPORTANT GAPS the I really need to know. ...” (my emphasis)

then the Bible is filling a few of those “IMPORTANT GAPS” in your brain with logical contradictions (like the one I just pointed out ) .
    So I don't think that the Bible is giving you something you “ really need to k ...[text shortened]... s giving you something that will just fill up your brain with a torrential downpour of illogic.
    Have it your way then.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree