2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 06:25
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    "Here lies an Atheist
    All dressed up
    And no place to go."
    Whoever wrote it presumably believed in life after death. And we can perhaps deduce that the person it was written for didn't.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 07:28
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    [b]Interesting epitaph...

"Here lies an Atheist
    All dressed up
    And no place to go."

In a Thurmont, MD Cemetery

Comments.

.[/b]
    Its an interesting error frequently made by theists. The writer actually thinks that your beliefs influence reality.
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 13:13
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Its an interesting error frequently made by theists. The writer actually thinks that your beliefs influence reality.
    Same error by atheists. What happens after you die is going to happen whether you believe it or not.
  5. Joined
    06 Mar '12
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 14:352 edits
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Same error by atheists. What happens after you die is going to happen whether you believe it or not.
    No, it is not the same error. That's because part of the reason why we don't believe there is an afterlife is because we do NOT think that our beliefs influence reality.
    If we thought that our beliefs influence reality and we thought we could have an afterlife and live forever just by believing it then we would try and convince ourselves that there is an afterlife because most of us would naturally want to live forever. I know I want that!
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 15:02
    It is conceivable that we will get whatever it is that we believe is coming to us at the moment of our death. God says, "OK, you think it's going to be X, I'll give you X." Uncertain souls will meet a fate they can't quite figure out.
  7. England
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 15:27
    I have woundered what i would have on mine.. something like here lies, no tell the truth... anyone got better?
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 16:53
    Originally posted by JS357
    It is conceivable that we will get whatever it is that we believe is coming to us at the moment of our death. God says, "OK, you think it's going to be X, I'll give you X." Uncertain souls will meet a fate they can't quite figure out.
    No way ! 🙂
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 16:55
    Originally posted by humy
    No, it is not the same error. That's because part of the reason why we don't believe there is an afterlife is because we do NOT think that our beliefs influence reality.
    If we thought that our beliefs influence reality and we thought we could have an afterlife and live forever just by believing it then we would try and convince ourselves that there is an afterlife because most of us would naturally want to live forever. I know I want that!
    Im not sure its correct to say that theists think that their beliefs influence the reality.

Granted there are a lot of stupid Christians who do not really understand the teachings of Christ but rely on sly pastors and crooked leaders to teach them, and they in turn feed them the world of false hope. Some think they will go to heaven etc etc .. but whats in their head has no bearing on what is actually in store for them.

The truth is that Christians live with the HOPE that they will be rewarded IFF they satisfy the requirements of Christ for salvation. Its faith and hope.

The honest person - either atheists or theists - should admit that nobody knows for sure what awaits us after this life is over.

Christ and God alone knows.
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 17:08
    No way ! 🙂
    I say: It is conceivable that we will get whatever it is that we believe is coming to us at the moment of our death. God says, "OK, you think it's going to be X, I'll give you X." Uncertain souls will meet a fate they can't quite figure out.

Then you say: No way !

But, right after that you say: The honest person - either atheists or theists - should admit that nobody knows for sure what awaits us after this life is over.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 17:19
    Originally posted by JS357
    I say: It is conceivable that we will get whatever it is that we believe is coming to us at the moment of our death. God says, "OK, you think it's going to be X, I'll give you X." Uncertain souls will meet a fate they can't quite figure out.

Then you say: No way !

But, right after that you say: The honest person - either atheists or theists - should admit that nobody knows for sure what awaits us after this life is over.
    OK .. the way I see it, no way to "we get whatever it is that we believe is coming to us at the moment of our death"

The teachings of the Bible are contrary to that.
  12. Windsor, Ontario
    Moves
    04 Jun '12 17:33
    Originally posted by stoker
    I have woundered what i would have on mine.. something like here lies, no tell the truth... anyone got better?
    viking funeral
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jun '12 01:56
    Granted there are a lot of stupid Christians who do not really understand the teachings of Christ...
    I'm so totally sure that the rather complete irony of this statement escapes you.

This is why you're so totally full of it, and despite being shown the error of your ways time and again, you still persist. I give up. If you haven't gotten it by now, you never will. So go ahead, continue to cherry pick which of Christ's commandments you will follow and to which you will give lip service.

No wonder you can only have hope for your own salvation. Most of the rest of us have been promised, and we aren't expecting God to welsh on the deal. But then again, we aren't giving lip service to our own responsibility in the deal either, like some here.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    05 Jun '12 01:58
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I'm so totally sure that the rather complete irony of this statement escapes you.

This is why you're so totally full of it, and despite being shown the error of your ways time and again, you still persist. I give up. If you haven't gotten it by now, you never will. So go ahead, continue to cherry pick which of Christ's commandments you will follow and ...[text shortened]... we aren't giving lip service to our own responsibility in the deal either, like some here.
    This is far too long an epitaph for Rajk999's headstone.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    05 Jun '12 02:20
    Originally posted by Suzianne

This is why you're so totally full of it, and despite being shown the error of your ways time and again, you still persist. I give up. If you haven't gotten it by now, you never will. So go ahead, continue to cherry pick which of Christ's commandments you will follow and ...[text shortened]... we aren't giving lip service to our own responsibility in the deal either, like some here.
    I suggest some professional help.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree