1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 16:16
    Upon study, I've noticed the Bible seems to be describing the Hydrologic cycle...

Take a look:

"He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight" (Job. 26:8)
    "He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind" (Job. 36:27-28)
    "The wind blows to the south and turns to the north; round and round it goes, ever returning on its course. All streams flow into the sea, yet the sea is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again (Ecclesiastes 1:6-7)
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 16:51
    Originally posted by Darfius
    Upon study, I've noticed the Bible seems to be describing the Hydrologic cycle...

Take a look:

"He wraps up the waters in his clouds, yet the clouds do not burst under their weight" (Job. 26:8)
    "He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind" (Job. 36: ...[text shortened]... is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again (Ecclesiastes 1:6-7)
    Which translation are you reading?
  3. Standard memberthesonofsaul
    King of the Ashes
    Trying to rise ....
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 16:53

Take a look:

"He draws up the drops of water, which distill as rain to the streams; the clouds pour down their moisture and abundant showers fall on mankind" (Job. 36: ...[text shortened]... is never full. To the place the streams come from, there they return again (Ecclesiastes 1:6-7)
    How is this interesting? Are you saying that it is surprising that the writers of the Bible were able to tell that water evaporates and then rain comes from clouds? Wow. You have even less a respect for human thought capacity than I do, which is quite a feat.

... --- ...
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 17:24

Take a look:

Yes. The Bible is a true record of a human quest for the divine. Consequently, careful observation of natural phenomena are described in several places.

From time to time, this quest becomes obscured by those who eschew inductive reasoning, such as those literalists who misread the bible so as to interfere with scientific observation. Most of the biblical writers, on the other hand, certainly Solomon and the writer of Job, did not close themselves off from careful observation in their quest for the divine.
  5. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    07 Mar '05 23:301 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Yes. The Bible is a true record of a human quest for the divine. Consequently, careful observation of natural phenomena are described in several places.

From time to time, this quest becomes obscured by those who eschew inductive reasoni ...[text shortened]... selves off from careful observation in their quest for the divine.
    Tell me, did they ever err in their quest for the divine?

If not, perhaps they stumbled upon it...or Him.
  6. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    09 Mar '05 18:57
    Bump

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree