1. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jan '17 17:041 edit
    It is my contention that the phrase 'intrinsic value' is incoherent because the word 'value' implies the judgement of an intellect. Value is always relative to an intellect.

If you disagree, then please explain what you mean by 'value' and how it can be applied in such a way that 'intrinsic value' makes sense.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Jan '17 17:262 edits
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    It is my contention that the phrase 'intrinsic value' is incoherent because the word 'value' implies the judgement of an intellect. Value is always relative to an intellect.

If you disagree, then please explain what you mean by 'value' and how it can be applied in such a way that 'intrinsic value' makes sense.
    What do you think of this from Wikipedia:

Intrinsic value is an ethical and philosophic property. It is the ethical philosophic value that an object has "in itself;" "for its own sake", as an intrinsic property. An object with intrinsic value may be regarded as an end or (in Kantian terminology) end-in-itself.

Unquote

It follows (arguably) that intrinsic value can only be assigned by a thing to itself, IOW, only self-valuing things can have it, and most people think that means humans. Some might extend it to certain other animals.

Edit: this may lead to thinking about rights and using people as a means to an end.
  3. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Jan '17 19:06
    Originally posted by JS357
    It follows (arguably) that intrinsic value can only be assigned by a thing to itself, IOW, only self-valuing things can have it,
    I would agree. As I say in the OP, value is assigned by intellects, so presumably they can assign them to themselves. I would suggest, however, that calling that 'intrinsic value' is a misuse of the word 'intrinsic'. Intrinsic suggests a property, a permanent aspect, but if the intellect in question were able to at some point decide not to value itself then that would imply impermanence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree