1. Standard memberDarfius
    The Apologist
    Moves
    10 Apr '05 19:37
    So as to avoid confusion and to promote a general atmosphere of clarity, I shall now present a strawman for my fellow theists to turn to when we are in danger of losing a debate.

The 'weak theist' is merely a position of disbelief of the disbelief of 'weak atheists'. Should the atheists then come up with a 'really weak atheist', theists will find it necessary to create a 'sickly theist' class. Should the atheists respond with an 'almost theist' class, theists will be forced to pull out the 'atheist in disguise' class that will surely trump the atheists and force the "buren of proof" entirely on their shoulders.

I hope this has been as instructional and helpful for you all as it hasn't been for me.
  2. Standard membertelerion
    True X X Xian
    The Lord's Army
    Moves
    10 Apr '05 19:44
    Originally posted by Darfius
    So as to avoid confusion and to promote a general atmosphere of clarity, I shall now present a strawman for my fellow theists to turn to when we are in danger of losing a debate.

The 'weak theist' is merely a position of disbelief of the disbelief of 'weak atheists'. Should the atheists then come up with a 'really weak atheist', theists will find ...[text shortened]... ers.

I hope this has been as instructional and helpful for you all as it hasn't been for me.
    I believe that this is the first time I have recommended a post from Darfius. In my defense, I felt that the honest display of confusion ran so counter to the author's usual adamantine facade of infallibility that it deserved my support.
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    10 Apr '05 20:06

The 'weak theist' is merely a position of disbelief of the disbelief of 'weak atheists'. Should the atheists then come up with a 'really weak atheist', theists will find ...[text shortened]... ers.

That's pretty funny. However, it does suggest that weak atheism's lack of belief is a belief which one might not believe in, which it is not.
  4. Joined
    01 Sep '04
    Moves
    10 Apr '05 20:25

Oh, if I only had a brain..............
  5. Meddling with things
    Moves
    10 Apr '05 20:491 edit

The 'weak theist' is merely a position of disbelief of ...[text shortened]... s instructional and helpful for you all as it hasn't been for me.
    Again you suffer from the usual theist confusion: just because your theism is central to your being you assume that my atheism assumes a dominant role in mine.

How wrong can you be. Heres a list of things I don't believe in. It is not an exclusive list and it is in no particular order.

Fairies at the bottom of the garden
    A flat earth
    Middle earth
    The god of islam
    manchester united are a great team
    england are capable of playing entertaining rugby
    the gods of hinduism
    races are of different value
    royalty deserves deference
    the god of the jews
    men are better than women
    dogs are better than cats
    the devil and sin
    environmental resources have no intrinsic value
    labour has no intrinsic value
    the god of the jesus cult
    television and other forms of entertainmet are a force for evil
    religious belief is more important than free speech

However, I do not believe Darfiarse is capable of understanding the importance of the fact that the jesus god is merely one among many things I don't believe. It just will not register in his belief system that the jesus cult god is just not that important to me.

On the other hand, I have an overwhelming desire to oppose the jesus cult adherents who are intent on manipulating their way into my local schools and force their nonsense on my children against my wishes. My anger extends to the sanctimonious hand wringing god botherers who hold court in this forum. Yes, I mean you.
  6. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 01:20

Ah but the atheists have us agnostics to fall back on as reserve troops - what you didn't think of.
  7. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    11 Apr '05 05:311 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Ah but the atheists have us agnostics to fall back on as reserve troops - what you didn't think of.
    Nah, we just use you as a delay tactic, we're fully aware that you can't hold your positions. You just desert at the first sign of gunfire 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree