1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 02:55
    Campaigners in Ireland celebrated the end of a “medieval” ban on blasphemy on Saturday, after voters overwhelmingly supported a referendum to remove the offence from the constitution.

Almost 65% of voters supported the move – a total of 951,650 people – with just over 35% (515,808) in favour of retaining it, on a turnout of just over 43%.

The decision was the latest reflection of seismic social and political changes in Ireland, which the taoiseach Leo Varadkar has described as a “quiet revolution”.

“It means that we’ve got rid of a medieval crime from our constitution that should never have been there,” said Michael Nugent, chairperson of Atheist Ireland, which had campaigned for years to have blasphemy taken out of the constitution.

Whole article: https://tinyurl.com/y8b2mr2j

Which way would you have voted?
  2. Subscriberrookie54
    free tazer tickles..
    wildly content...
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 03:18
    i probably would have voted for removal...
    i haven't read the article...
    government needs to be secular, ethical, and fair...
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 04:33
    @fmf said
    Campaigners in Ireland celebrated the end of a “medieval” ban on blasphemy on Saturday, after voters overwhelmingly supported a referendum to remove the offence from the constitution.

Almost 65% of voters supported the move – a total of 951,650 people – with just over 35% (515,808) in favour of retaining it, on a turnout of just over 43%.

The decision was the latest ...[text shortened]... stitution.

In favor, of course. Not a fan of theocracy in any form.
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 08:52
    @fmf said

Out of course. It’s a ridiculous law held onto by those of a similar mindset that will do anything to hold on to eternal torture for thought crimes.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 09:181 edit
    We're not mirroring the 65:35 split here on this thread yet.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 09:281 edit
    @fmf said

"In favor, of course. Not a fan of theocracy in any form."

Absolutely what I would have said even if BDP had not said it.

There is no place for religion in Government.

There's a reason why that is included in the First Amendment to the US Constitution, along with Freedom of Speech.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 10:37
    @fmf said
    We're not mirroring the 65:35 split here on this thread yet.
    The religionists haven't chimed in yet, either.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 11:01
    @suzianne said
    What are you on about? You and divegeester are religionists.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    28 Oct '18 11:18
    burning a few bibles, roasting your chestnuts at the same time.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 04:35
    @fmf said
    What are you on about? You and divegeester are religionists.
    Why don't you ask him if he's a 'religionist'?

I think it's astonishing that you don't know that much about him.

I just think it's humorous and just a little sad that you don't actually listen to him, either.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 04:431 edit
    @suzianne said
    Why don't you ask him if he's a 'religionist'?

I think it's astonishing that you don't know that much about him.

I just think it's humorous and just a little sad that you don't actually listen to him, either.
    You mean divegeester? He's a religionist. Of course he is. "Astonishing"? It's not the slightest bit controversial for me to say so. Both of you are religionists. I am not. Ghost of a Duke is not. Anyone believing someone rose from the dead and this somehow had some sort of supernatural effect on those who believe it and, as long as you subscribe to certain religious doctrines, people will have everlasting life... anyone who believes stuff like this within the context of a religion is a "religionist" in my book.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 16:03
    @fmf said
    You mean divegeester? He's a religionist. Of course he is. "Astonishing"? It's not the slightest bit controversial for me to say so. Both of you are religionists. I am not. Ghost of a Duke is not. Anyone believing someone rose from the dead and this somehow had some sort of supernatural effect on those who believe it and, as long as you subscribe to certain religious doctrines, p ...[text shortened]... anyone who believes stuff like this within the context of a religion is a "religionist" in my book.
    I am a bit more flexible with my concept of "religious". To me, one aspect of religion is practice. Thus, there can be religious atheists (Taoists, Buddhists, etc) and non-religious theists (say, Deists, some of whom may think there's no need for such practice, or other apathetic theists).
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Oct '18 17:54
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I am a bit more flexible with my concept of "religious". To me, one aspect of religion is practice. Thus, there can be religious atheists (Taoists, Buddhists, etc) and non-religious theists (say, Deists, some of whom may think there's no need for such practice, or other apathetic theists).
    Fair enough. But I'm not so much imterested in the practices of people here but rather in their ideology. It is with this in mind that I use the word religionist.
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 13:12
    @suzianne said
    LMAO!
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 13:58
    @fmf said
    You mean divegeester? He's a religionist. Of course he is. "Astonishing"? It's not the slightest bit controversial for me to say so. Both of you are religionists. I am not. Ghost of a Duke is not. Anyone believing someone rose from the dead and this somehow had some sort of supernatural effect on those who believe it and, as long as you subscribe to certain religious doctrines, p ...[text shortened]... anyone who believes stuff like this within the context of a religion is a "religionist" in my book.
    "Having a religion" is a different fish than "being a religionist".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree