1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 13:59
    @bigdoggproblem said
    I am a bit more flexible with my concept of "religious". To me, one aspect of religion is practice. Thus, there can be religious atheists (Taoists, Buddhists, etc) and non-religious theists (say, Deists, some of whom may think there's no need for such practice, or other apathetic theists).
    Being "religious" is not the same as being a "religionist".
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 14:00
    @fmf said
    Fair enough. But I'm not so much imterested in the practices of people here but rather in their ideology. It is with this in mind that I use the word religionist.
    And this is yet another term you use incorrectly.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 14:02
    @fmf said
    You mean divegeester? He's a religionist. Of course he is. "Astonishing"? It's not the slightest bit controversial for me to say so. Both of you are religionists. I am not. Ghost of a Duke is not. Anyone believing someone rose from the dead and this somehow had some sort of supernatural effect on those who believe it and, as long as you subscribe to certain religious doctrines, p ...[text shortened]... anyone who believes stuff like this within the context of a religion is a "religionist" in my book.
    Again, why don't you ask HIM if he's a "religionist"?

He clearly hasn't posted because he tends not to like to disagree with you.

As I said, it's amazing and a little sad that you do not know this about him.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 14:12
    @suzianne said
    Again, why don't you ask HIM if he's a "religionist"?

He clearly hasn't posted because he tends not to like to disagree with you.

As I said, it's amazing and a little sad that you do not know this about him.
    Real friends disagree about things, and discuss those things. Dive and FMF do not publicly debate with each other on this forum, which is clearly obvious to everyone, and makes their so called friendship seem less genuine.

This is a spirituality forum where FMF is an agnostic atheist, and Dive is a Christian, yet they don't disagree on topics???

It's wrong.
  5. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:12
    @chaney3 said
    Real friends disagree about things, and discuss those things. Dive and FMF do not publicly debate with each other on this forum, which is clearly obvious to everyone, and makes their so called friendship seem less genuine.

This is a spirituality forum where FMF is an agnostic atheist, and Dive is a Christian, yet they don't disagree on topics???

It's wrong.
    I recall them having a couple of 'heated' conversations in this forum. I'm sure others do as well.

Similarly, I've crossed swords with both in my time. (They fared pretty well and were gracious in defeat).

😳
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:23
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I recall them having a couple of 'heated' conversations in this forum. I'm sure others do as well.

Similarly, I've crossed swords with both in my time. (They fared pretty well and were gracious in defeat).

😳
    You've also shown humility on this forum when I've defeated you in debates. It's a good quality.
  7. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 15:26
    @chaney3 said
    You've also shown humility on this forum when I've defeated you in debates. It's a good quality.
    In fairness sir, those victories occurred in your imagination, not in this forum.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 16:36
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In fairness sir, those victories occurred in your imagination, not in this forum.
    Stop.
    I've clearly whooped you in some debates.
  9. The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 17:59
    @chaney3 said
    Stop.
    I've clearly whooped you in some debates.
    Not yet you haven't...
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 23:50
    @suzianne said
    And this is yet another term you use incorrectly.
    I disagree with you. My use of the word is as I have explained.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 23:53
    @chaney3 said

It's wrong.
    I hope you find "genuine friendships" here if that is what you seek.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    30 Oct '18 23:56
    @suzianne said
    Being "religious" is not the same as being a "religionist".
    TBH, I'm not exactly sure what "religionist" means.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    31 Oct '18 08:02
    Pakistan acquits Christian woman on death row

A Pakistani court has overturned the death sentence of a Christian woman convicted of blasphemy, a case that has polarised the nation.

Asia Bibi was convicted in 2010 after being accused of insulting the Prophet Muhammad in a row with her neighbours.

She always maintained her innocence, but has spent most of the past eight years in solitary confinement.

The landmark ruling has already set off protests by hardliners who support strong blasphemy laws.

There was a heavy police presence at the Supreme Court in Islamabad as many feared violence could break out.

People have also been gathering for protests against the verdict in Karachi, Lahore and Peshawar, and hundreds blocked a road between Rawalpindi and Islamabad, Dawn newspaper reported.

Chief Justice Saqib Nisarm, who read out the ruling, said Asia Bibi could walk free from jail in Sheikupura, near Lahore, immediately if not wanted in connection with any other case.

She was not in court to hear the ruling, but reacted to the verdict from prison with apparent disbelief.

The incident in question:

What was Asia Bibi accused of?

The trial stems from an argument Asia Bibi, whose full name is Asia Noreen, had with a group of women in June 2009.

They were harvesting fruit when a row broke out about a bucket of water. The women said that because she had used a cup, they could no longer touch it, as her faith had made it unclean.

Prosecutors alleged that in the row which followed, the women said Asia Bibi should convert to Islam and that she made three offensive comments about the Prophet Muhammad in response.

She was later beaten up at her home, during which her accusers say she confessed to blasphemy. She was arrested after a police investigation.

More: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-46040515
  14. S. Korea
    Moves
    02 Nov '18 11:54
    @fmf said
    Campaigners in Ireland celebrated the end of a “medieval” ban on blasphemy on Saturday, after voters overwhelmingly supported a referendum to remove the offence from the constitution.

Almost 65% of voters supported the move – a total of 951,650 people – with just over 35% (515,808) in favour of retaining it, on a turnout of just over 43%.

The decision was the latest ...[text shortened]... stitution.

Whole article: https://tinyurl.com/y8b2mr2j

Which way would you have voted?
    I would have voted to maintain it...

But not because I actually want to maintain it and have it actively forced.

But because I do not mind having these things on the book.

They are far less harmful than the sort of treatment people get throughout Europe for disagreeing with that which is politically correct.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Nov '18 12:12
    Six votes for repealing the blasphemy law in Ireland.

One vote for keeping it.

Just banter from badradger, chaney3 and whodey.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree