1. Illinois
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 10:43
    Is there an atheist, alive or dead, within these forums or without, who has truly lived as if God doesn't exist? In other words, is it possible for someone to live consistently in the 'light' of objective meaninglessness, without accidentally presupposing moral absolutes or pretending, even fleetingly, that their life has meaning?
  2. Illinois
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 10:55
    And a second question: what does a consistent atheism look like exactly?
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 10:581 edit
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    Is there an atheist, alive or dead, within these forums or without, who has truly lived as if God doesn't exist? In other words, is it possible for someone to live consistently in the 'light' of objective meaninglessness, without accidentally presupposing moral absolutes or pretending, even fleetingly, that their life has meaning?
    Sad that you can't realize life can have meaning beyond the nodding of a made up entity.

As for your rephrasing, it displays such ignorance of the basis of atheism or moral absolutism that it's not worth my time. I expected better from you, guess I was wrong.
  4. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:03
    Meaninglessness? Speak for yourself.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:05
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Sad that you can't realize life can have meaning beyond the nodding of a made up entity.

As for your rephrasing, it displays such ignorance of the basis of atheism or moral absolutism that it's not worth my time. I expected better from you, guess I was wrong.
    In other words you don't have a clue.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:09
    Originally posted by josephw
    In other words you don't have a clue.
    Display your ignorance to us, joseph, do you think moral absolutism requires theism?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:16
    "Is there an atheist, alive or dead, within these forums or without, who has truly lived as if God doesn't exist?"

If it were possible to live as if God didn't exist, then God would have to not exist.

"In other words, is it possible for someone to live consistently in the 'light' of objective meaninglessness, without accidentally presupposing moral absolutes or pretending, even fleetingly, that their life has meaning?"

No. The mind of one who attempts to live as though moral absolutism was a delusion would be thrown into abject chaos. Some form of moral framework has to exist even for the atheist. I've never heard a sane atheist say that murder wasn't wrong.
  8. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:17
    If "a-theism" is a belief that no gods exists, then Buddhism is a "a-theistic" religion, as good as any other.

Atheism is not "a 'light' of objective meaninglessness". From where did you get this? It is equally true that the life of every theist is equally meaningless, seen from the other side.

An answer to the question "what does a consistent atheism look like exactly?" can be found in Buddhism.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:22
    Display your ignorance to us, joseph, do you think moral absolutism requires theism?
    That's ok Paly, you've already displayed enough for the both of us.

Do you think moral absolutism requires atheism in order to exist? Or do you just make it up as you go along? Do you think moral absolutism evolves?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:27
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    If "a-theism" is a belief that no gods exists, then Buddhism is a "a-theistic" religion, as good as any other.

Atheism is not "a 'light' of objective meaninglessness". From where did you get this? It is equally true that the life of every theist is equally meaningless, seen from the other side.

An answer to the question "what does a consistent atheism look like exactly?" can be found in Buddhism.
    "If "a-theism" is a belief that no gods exists,.."

That is so odd. If there were no God theism and atheism alike would have no meaning.
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:28
    That's ok Paly, you've already displayed enough for the both of us.

Do you think moral absolutism requires atheism in order to exist? Or do you just make it up as you go along? Do you think moral absolutism evolves?
    😵
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:29
    "Is there an atheist, alive or dead, within these forums or without, who has truly lived as if God doesn't exist?"

[b]If it were possible to live as if God didn't exist, then God would have to not exist.

"In other words, is it possible for someone to live consistently in the 'light' of objective meaninglessness, without accidentally presupposing ...[text shortened]... ven for the atheist. I've never heard a sane atheist say that murder wasn't wrong.[/b][/b]
    Oh, God, this is hilarious.
  13. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:332 edits
    Oh, God, this is hilarious.
    Besides being hilarious, perhaps it gives his life meaning too.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:38
    Originally posted by FabianFnas

"Atheism is not "a 'light' of objective meaninglessness". From where did you get this? It is equally true that the life of every theist is equally meaningless, seen from the other side."

How bizarre can you be?

If you can state objectively that the life of one who believes in God is as meaningless as the life of one who doesn't, then my point made in my reply to Epi is well proven.

Your mind is in chaos because you pretend to lack the moral objectivity which is necessary for having a sound mind. Yet you postulate from within the framework of moral objectivity and state that both atheism and theism leads to an equally meaningless life. 🙄
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    02 Jan '11 11:47
    I'm glad you two are enjoying each others company.

You're both very entertaining.

I especially enjoy the disparaging remarks.

God forbid that either one of you will make a single intelligible argument.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree