Is Atheism Dead ?

Is Atheism Dead ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21

@sonship
I asked only because the two of you seem to be taking it in turns to further this discussion. If you're conferring or not it's all the same to me and entirely your own affair. If I'm honest, I'd rather talk to you, at least you don't keep on asking that facile question about the "number of transitional fossils".

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21
1 edit

@avalanchethecat

What I would say about the evidence of fossils found is that
apparently some animals use to live on the earth which no longer do, period.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat

<<It sounds a lot more like a 'best guess' by a perceptive and clever but prescientific individual as to how what we see when we look around might have been created by an imagined all-powerful being.>>

Job is believed to be the oldest book of the Holy Bible and has verses in it that are far ahead of what man knew at that time.

In fact, the Holy Bible has more than a few scientifically truthful verses that were thousands of years ahead of man and that contradict what man believed at the time.

When common thought was the earth rested on the backs of tortoises, the book of Job said this:

“He stretcheth out the north over the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.”

(Job 26:7)

Many more verses like it.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
@sonship
I asked only because the two of you seem to be taking it in turns to further this discussion. If you're conferring or not it's all the same to me and entirely your own affair. If I'm honest, I'd rather talk to you, at least you don't keep on asking that facile question about the "number of transitional fossils".
You dislike that question because you (and other evolutionists) can’t answer it.

Seems like the theory of evolution survives in ambiguity and unproven statements.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21
1 edit

I asked only because the two of you seem to be taking it in turns to further this discussion.

C'mon. No more than you and kevcvs57 and BigDogg have all contributed to further the discussion.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
@avalanchethecat

<<It sounds a lot more like a 'best guess' by a perceptive and clever but prescientific individual as to how what we see when we look around might have been created by an imagined all-powerful being.>>

Job is believed to be the oldest book of the Holy Bible and has verses in it that are far ahead of what man knew at that time.

In fact, the Holy Bible ...[text shortened]... ver the empty place, and hangeth the earth upon nothing.”

(Job 26:7)

Many more verses like it.
"Job is believed to be the oldest book of the Holy Bible and has verses in it that are far ahead of what man knew at that time."

You don't know what man knew at that time.

"In fact, the Holy Bible has more than a few scientifically truthful verses that were thousands of years ahead of man and that contradict what man believed at the time."

I'm very impressed that you are able to state with such certainty what 'man' knew at that time. I'm also, of course, being sarcastic.

Lol, tortoises. Did you know that Eratosthenes calculated the diameter of the Earth in 240BCE and got an answer within 1% of what we now think is accurate? There have always been clever people, and people always underestimate the capabilities and knowledge of our forefathers.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
You dislike that question because you (and other evolutionists) can’t answer it.

Seems like the theory of evolution survives in ambiguity and unproven statements.
I don't 'dislike' the question. I recognise that it's silly. But then, you believe prophecies from books written thousands of years ago, but find the theory of evolution 'ambiguous' and 'unproven'. Of course you ask silly questions.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21

@sonship said
I asked only because the two of you seem to be taking it in turns to further this discussion.

C'mon. No more than you and kevcvs57 and BigDogg have all contributed to further the discussion.
Hmm no. But like I say, I don't mind, you're free to team up if you want.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21

@sonship said
@avalanchethecat

What I would say about the evidence of fossils found is that
apparently some animals use to live on the earth which no longer do, period.
Would you not also agree that some animals which now live on the Earth did not always do so? Or do you think that absence of virtually all mammals prior to the KT boundary is just down to blind chance?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat
<<Lol, tortoises. Did you know that Eratosthenes calculated the diameter of the Earth in 240BCE and got an answer within 1% of what we now think is accurate? There have always been clever people, and people always underestimate the capabilities and knowledge of our forefathers.>>

240 B.C.?

Do you know when Job was written? More than 1,000 years earlier than 240 B.C.

In fact *all* the books of the Old Testament were written centuries before 240 B.C.

The book of Isaiah, written around 700 B.C., talks about the earth being round, not flat as it would seem to men back then.

“It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:”

(Isaiah 40:22)

And Isaiah was a prophet - one who spoke for God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
I don't 'dislike' the question. I recognise that it's silly. But then, you believe prophecies from books written thousands of years ago, but find the theory of evolution 'ambiguous' and 'unproven'. Of course you ask silly questions.
Why is it a silly question?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
@avalanchethecat
<<Lol, tortoises. Did you know that Eratosthenes calculated the diameter of the Earth in 240BCE and got an answer within 1% of what we now think is accurate? There have always been clever people, and people always underestimate the capabilities and knowledge of our forefathers.>>

240 B.C.?

Do you know when Job was written? More than 1,000 years earlier ...[text shortened]... m out as a tent to dwell in:”

(Isaiah 40:22)

And Isaiah was a prophet - one who spoke for God.
Any reasonably clever person with a stick who goes on a long journey can work out that the Earth is a sphere.

The quote you give there talks about the Earth being 'round' with the heavens like a 'tent' above. That doesn't sound like a very accurate depiction of a sphere.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
Why is it a silly question?
Because there are a huge number of fossils, very many of them incomplete, lots of them show features which could be considered transitional. I haven't examined them all, I haven't counted all of the ones which I consider to be transitional and even if I did it would only be a tiny proportion of the total, and there's no agreed definition as to what a transitional fossil even is. It's a child's question.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
29 Nov 21

@avalanchethecat said
Any reasonably clever person with a stick who goes on a long journey can work out that the Earth is a sphere.

The quote you give there talks about the Earth being 'round' with the heavens like a 'tent' above. That doesn't sound like a very accurate depiction of a sphere.
And people today say the sun rises and the sun sets. Does everyone today who says that think the sun revolves around the earth?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
29 Nov 21

@pb1022 said
And people today say the sun rises and the sun sets. Does everyone today who says that think the sun revolves around the earth?
I'm sure a great number of them do, but everyone? No, of course not. What's your point?