1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 17:30
    Originally posted by whodey

For all you know you could drop dead today and/or your life has been a complete waste of time up till now.[/b]
    Same fate could befall a theist.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 22:03
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Of course. So what is your point?
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 22:04
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    We seem to have a different idea concerning to meaning of the word "belief".

Why do you say my life has been a waste of time? What time has been wasted?
    What objective scientific data proves you have spent your time well?

In fact, what is considered "good"? Assigning value to anything requires a belief system.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 22:09
    According to myself of course.
    Well here is hoping you function for a long time! 🙂
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 22:10
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Funny you should say that since we all share the same fate, live and die. The beliefs we
    live out either have meaning beyond this life time or not.
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 22:12
    What objective scientific data proves you have spent your time well?

In fact, what is considered "good"? Assigning value to anything requires a belief system.
    No, it doesn't require a belief system.

I am happy. That proves I am spending my time well. For being happy is by far my most important goal in life.

I also don't need scientific data for that, although happiness can be measured scientifically.

You clearly need some kind of belief system. Please don't project your wants and needs onto me.
  7. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 22:13
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Well here is hoping you function for a long time! 🙂
    Thank you.

Although, as a Christian, wouldn't you rather see me get to heaven as soon as possible?
  8. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 22:481 edit
    Originally posted by apathist
    Do we use volition to determine our beliefs?

Worrying at the question, I came across this:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/belief/

and now I have a headache.

Not directly, no. And not in a manner under which it would be fair to describe belief as choice-based. A belief is, basically, a certain type of propositional attitude wherein one takes the proposition to be true. So, by natural extension, beliefs are handcuffed to cognitive verisimilitude. And, generally, one cannot just pick and choose what one's cognition picks out as versimilitudinous or not. Generally, we just do not have that sort of control.

There are other senses, though, in which volition can play an influential, but indirect, role. One could choose, say, to enter into some program that one has reasons to think will eventuate in (or erode) some particular belief. One could choose, for example, to only consider or seek out certain sources of evidence or testimony; or one could choose to only associate with those of a certain prevailing attitude; or one could choose to only engage in activities that presuppose a certain prevailing attitude; or whatever. These are actions under direct volitional control, and they plausibly can influence subsequent trajectories of belief formation and maintenance. Whether or not it would be a particularly effective route of influencing belief is debatable: perhaps it would only work for limited types of belief and limited types of conditions regarding countervailing evidence. There is also a sense in which such activity amounts to complicity toward evidential bias/corruption when it is done with intentional focus, so it seems dubious that it would be justified from an epistemic standpoint; one might need to look to other types of justification for doing so. Lastly, of course, there are many ways in which our volitional efforts affect our epistemic environment and thus indirectly help determine our beliefs, but without the intentional focus to do so.

So if you are asking if we use volition to directly determine our beliefs, the answer is clearly no. We can, however, indirectly do so but probably with limited conditions for success and justifiability. And there is a further broader sense in which our volitional efforts have indirect impact on our environments for belief.
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '16 23:18
    No, it doesn't require a belief system.

I am happy. That proves I am spending my time well. For being happy is by far my most important goal in life.

I also don't need scientific data for that, although happiness can be measured scientifically.

You clearly need some kind of belief system. Please don't project your wants and needs onto me.
    All that matters is your happiness?

People like you are a dime a dozen. Do you think this is a good attitude to have when it comes to the well being of others, or is this part of the problem?
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 00:41
    Thank you.

Although, as a Christian, wouldn't you rather see me get to heaven as soon as possible?
    Yes, and that would be a long time too wouldn't it? 🙂
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 00:51
    People like you are a dime a dozen. Do you think this is a good attitude to have when it comes to the well being of others, or is this part of the problem?
    Can't the well being of others form part of what gives one happiness? Doesn't it for you?
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 00:51
    Originally posted by LemonJello

Not directly, no. And not in a manner under which it would be fair to describe belief as choice-based. A belief is, basically, a certain type of propositional attitude wherein one takes the proposition to be true. So, by natural extension, beliefs are handcuffed to cognitive verisimilitude. ...[text shortened]... oader sense in which our volitional efforts have indirect impact on our environments for belief.
    With man and I'm using the word man to describe each and everyone of us not just the
    males. 🙂 Don't we run risks with this to our own hurt? For example with our political
    process in America we *all not just some* tend to over look faults in those we feel like
    minded with and tend to make a huge deal out of the faults of those we do not agree with,
    to the point of accepting some nasty things in our guys while holding the other's feet to
    the fire for the same things?

If this is a human trait wouldn't we do that with all things where we are sorting out what
    is and is not true? Looking favorably towards the evidence we like and ignore that which
    isn't pointing in our direction? That would make us all subject to accepting flaws and
    in my opinion cause to migrate towards the herd that thinks like we do because it is
    safe there in numbers *we think but that isn't always true*.

We would also tend to kick people out of our herd if they attempted to ruin our little
    world views too. 🙄

I am including myself in this as well this isn't a statement to put down those I disagree
    with.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 07:52

I never said that all that matters is my happiness. Would you like to go back to my post and read it again?

And yes, part of that happiness comes from seeing the world slowly get better.
  14. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 09:43

Most decent people - to varying degrees - define their own
    happiness in terms of those around them; family, community,
    country and even the human race. So I don't see pursuing
    happiness as a selfish act - depends on the person. But
    anyone questioning that would presumably be able to
    achieve happiness regardless of his fellow man?
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    16 Mar '16 09:581 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Yes, and that would be a long time too wouldn't it? 🙂
    You tell me. Between the two of us, you're the expert.

Let's say my place in heaven was guaranteed. Would it be better for me to die right now?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree