Is Christianity even Spiritual?

Is Christianity even Spiritual?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Dec 21

@divegeester said
Mistaking the exchanges in this forum as giving an impression of Christianity is a significant error in judgment.
Excellent point 👍👍

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
I don’t advise drinking from rivers. Some rivers can be quite polluted. Better to carry a canteen of water.
That wasn't anything approaching my point.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Dec 21

@suzianne said
I know. It was just a general observation.

But to your point, I don’t see spirituality as one river. I think that implies that all belief systems have the same credibility.

Lover of Great Apes

Brasov Zoo

Moves
11 Dec 21

There are those that believe that many of the roads lead to the same place.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Dec 21

@filthyherman said
There are those that believe that many of the roads lead to the same place.
I go by the Holy Bible.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

(John 14:6)

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
11 Dec 21

@divegeester said
Mistaking the exchanges in this forum as giving an impression of Christianity is a significant error in judgment.
I'm not sure why.

I've found the exchanges in this forum to be quite consistent with other Christian behavior observed outside here.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
11 Dec 21

@kevin-eleven said
This forum is flooded with squabbling about a certain faith tradition that not everyone believes in, and of course said squabbling gives the impression that said faith tradition is a legalistic virus propagated by the infected.

Please let's have less of that and more true spirituality untainted by that viral psychosis.
How and why you define Christianity and Christians can be anything you want them to be; that doesn't make what you think true. It only means by your definition you make it out to be that way.

ENGLAND

Moves
11 Dec 21

@suzianne said
Your point was well made and should have prompted better replies than you’ve received.

ENGLAND

Moves
11 Dec 21

@bigdogg said
I'm not sure why.

I've found the exchanges in this forum to be quite consistent with other Christian behavior observed outside here.
We are both n = 1 then, 😄

There are indeed some awful experiences to be had out there, however the particular tone of this place isn’t what I’ve seen in the religion.

Moves
11 Dec 21

@divegeester said
Suzianne makes a good point in this thread which you started; why not try to address her comment?
I see you have spotted an opportunity to try to play Suzianne and me against each other.

Moves
12 Dec 21

@suzianne said
At least you're not calling me "angry" or "unprincipled".
I'm trying to be more careful about not inferring internal states or intentions as some in this forum seem to do.

And surprise, surprise, look who shows up (freshly paroled) right after you posted that. 😉

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
I know. It was just a general observation.

But to your point, I don’t see spirituality as one river. I think that implies that all belief systems have the same credibility.
Don't they?

We all have decisions to make.

This is my point.

As humans, we have to recognize that externally, all belief systems are legitimate. And yes, I mean within reason. No matter who you are, having sex with animals or children is wrong, for example.

This is what "free will" is about. You "pay your money and take your chances".

This is why looking down on others for their spiritual beliefs is wrong. Just like looking down on others for their race is wrong.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
I go by the Holy Bible.

“Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

(John 14:6)
And others go by different holy texts.

And some go by no text.

We all make our bed early on. Changing someone else's mind in this regard is most often not going to happen. Some may have "deathbed conversions", but that's between them and their God.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Dec 21

@suzianne said
Don't they?

We all have decisions to make.

This is my point.

As humans, we have to recognize that externally, all belief systems are legitimate. And yes, I mean within reason. No matter who you are, having sex with animals or children is wrong, for example.

This is what "free will" is about. You "pay your money and take your chances".

This is why loo ...[text shortened]... ers for their spiritual beliefs is wrong. Just like looking down on others for their race is wrong.
I understand what you’re saying and agree for the most part, but I disagree that all belief systems as they pertain to God and salvation are legitimate.

But I don’t look down on anyone for their spiritual beliefs. I find atheism and the theory of evolution to be pretty indefensible, but I think for a lot of atheists, the theory of evolution is simply a way to justify their atheism.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
12 Dec 21

@suzianne said
And others go by different holy texts.

And some go by no text.

We all make our bed early on. Changing someone else's mind in this regard is most often not going to happen. Some may have "deathbed conversions", but that's between them and their God.
I think people who take the time to look into evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ will come away convinced the Resurrection happened *if they have an open mind when they look into it.*

Sadly, most people won’t bother and (I think) figure they’ll deal with the afterlife when/if it comes. They don’t realize or believe God is a tremendous resource and help while we’re on earth.