1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Jul '05 21:32
    Originally posted by Coletti
    Thy usually boast of having some secret knowledge that only members may know.
    Yep. That's what my Christian friends fall back on when they cannot refute my understanding of the Bible through rigorous textual exegesis: "you just need to be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to understand."
  2. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    18 Jul '05 21:58
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Yep. That's what my Christian friends fall back on when they cannot refute my understanding of the Bible through rigorous textual exegesis: "you just need to be filled with the Holy Spirit in order to understand."
    That happens to me also. It's like a nazi telling you that you just don't understand the fine points of being a racist untill you join the club. Of course it sounds crazy from the outside, but if you would just sign up the truth could be revealed. It's insane.
  3. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Jul '05 22:101 edit
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    You (and maybe your friends also) are confusing knowledge with understanding. There is no secrets in Christianity - all you need is found in Scripture. But the HS may help clarify the understanding - but he does not add additional propositions to the Scriptures.

But even if you understood the gospel completely - that does not mean you'd believe it true.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Jul '05 22:52
    Originally posted by Coletti
    You (and maybe your friends also) are confusing knowledge with understanding. There is no secrets in Christianity - all you need is found in Scripture. But the HS may help clarify the understanding - but he does not add additional propositions to the Scriptures.

But even if you understood the gospel completely - that does not mean you'd believe it true.
    Understanding is an aspect of knowledge, not a separate function. Asserting that the Holy Spirit is needed for such understanding fits well with an important element in your definition of a cult.

I am not accusing you of making such an assertion, but was noting that it is habitual for some Christians. Perhaps any truly effective definition of a cult must acknowledge that any religion may serve to engender cultist behavior in some individuals.

Better definitions have already been presented, however.

The anthropological/historical definition sees all religious groups as fitting the criteria. The orthodox Christian definition, on the other hand, limits usage to groups guilty of egregious errors in doctrine. Only the latter is a cause for substantial argument.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree