1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 22:02
    Are all other religions a cult that are not Christian? I feel that Christianity is a cult? Does this make me a tool of Satan
    The Muslems must be acult, because they are not Christian right ? The same goes for the Hindus right ? The poor Buddhist have to be right ? Only the Christians have the truth right ?
    You know the KKK think that all non whites are not human. This a very similar mind set to what the Christians believe. Either you become a Christian or you are a cultist or just the average heathen headed for Hell. What a beautiful religion Christianity is.
  2. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 22:08
    Originally posted by buckky
    Are all other religions a cult that are not Christian? I feel that Christianity is a cult? Does this make me a tool of Satan
    The Muslems must be acult, because they are not Christian right ? The same goes for the Hindus right ? The poor Buddhist have to be right ? Only the Christians have the truth right ?
    You know the KKK think that all non whites are ...[text shortened]... cultist or just the average heathen headed for Hell. What a beautiful religion Christianity is.
    You clearly have a twisted view of what Christians believe. No Christian believes that unbelievers are non-human. True Christians hold that believers are saved only because of the grace of God, and not because they are better than anyone else.

As far as cults go, I have never heard a Christian define other mainstream religions as cults. So your assertions are baseless and insulting. But then, maybe that's part of your purpose.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 22:34
    Originally posted by Coletti
    You clearly have a twisted view of what Christians believe. No Christian believes that unbelievers are non-human.

Perhaps they do not believe it, but they have often said it. Start with Reverend Colonel Chivington: not only can you google him easily and probably turn up the relevant information, but he was characterized fairly accurately, at least with respect to his rhetoric, on last week's installment of Into the West.

As far as cults go, I have never heard a Christian define other mainstream religions as cults.

I could loan you some books from Christian publishers concerning the cult status of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Roman Catholic Church, the Seventh Day Adventist Church, Christian Science, Jehovah's Witnesses, and several others. Alas, I disposed of these books many years ago; but I have seen people that I know reading updated versions of them in 2005. Perhaps, however, these are not what you mean by "mainstream religions".
  4. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 22:41
    You clearly have a twisted view of what Christians believe. No Christian believes that unbelievers are non-human. True Christians hold that believers are saved only because of the grace of God, and not because they are better than anyone else.

As far as cults go, I have never heard a Christian define other mainstream religions as cults. So your assertions are baseless and insulting. But then, maybe that's part of your purpose.
    You obviouly did not get the KKK thing. When you think that your Religion is the only religion that has merit it's like the KKK mentality of only whites are human. It's a very narrow and twisted mind set. The Christian believes that all non Christians go to Hell right ? What could be more nasty than that ? What could be more mean spirited than that ? It makes the fanatical Muslems look like birds of a feather with the savage mentality of the Christian. Eternal torment is one very cruel punishment for all that don't see it the Christian way . How did Christianity ever gain any popularity with such an evil view ?
  5. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 23:13
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    [b]You clearly have a twisted view of what Christians believe. No Christian believes that unbelievers are non-human.

Perhaps they do not believe it, but they have often said it. Start with Reverend Colonel Chivington: not only can you google him easily and probably turn up the relevant information, but he was chara ...[text shortened]... ions of them in 2005. Perhaps, however, these are not what you mean by "mainstream religions".[/b]
    Technically I don't consider most of these as cults - but the claim was all religions - Buddhism, Islam, etc.
  6. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 23:24
    Technically I don't consider most of these as cults - but the claim was all religions - Buddhism, Islam, etc.
    So you view these to be the equals of christianity .
  7. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 23:27
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    So you view these to be the equals of christianity .
    no.
  8. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 23:28
    no.
    What are they then ?
  9. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 23:291 edit
    What are they then ?
    They are not cults. They are popular religions - much like liberalism. 😉
  10. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Jul '05 23:31
    They are not cults. They are popular religions - much like liberalism. 😉
    Please define cult. You seem to be operating with a novel definition.

Of course, a strict anthropological definition applies to Christianity, too, so don't just copy and paste from a dictionary.
  11. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '05 00:22
    lol I noticed that an atheist's tactic of attacking a religion is try to turn one type of believer againts another religion, then go for the kill by telling them they are all the same
  12. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    16 Jul '05 02:58
    Originally posted by flyUnity
    lol I noticed that an atheist's tactic of attacking a religion is try to turn one type of believer againts another religion, then go for the kill by telling them they are all the same
    I'm not an atheist's. I just find Christianity a little bit evil.
  13. Joined
    21 Oct '04
    Moves
    16 Jul '05 03:05
    I'm not an atheist's. I just find Christianity a little bit evil.
    I apologise, I shouldnt make assumptions.
  14. Standard memberOmnislash
    Digital Blasphemy
    Omnipresent
    Moves
    17 Jul '05 04:28
    By literal definition, all religions are cults. The destinction between the two terms is purely cultural (pardon the pun 😀).
  15. Standard memberColetti
    W.P. Extraordinaire
    State of Franklin
    Moves
    18 Jul '05 20:25
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    Please define cult. You seem to be operating with a novel definition.

Of course, a strict anthropological definition applies to Christianity, too, so don't just copy and paste from a dictionary.
    I think of cult as an isolated group that usually has a single charismatic leader who is not answerable to anyone else. They do not have to be a form a Christianity - there are UFO cults, political cults, animal-worshiping-tree-hugger cults. Thy usually boast of having some secret knowledge that only members may know. Often they use forms of brainwashing and emotional manipulation to indoctrinate members. They usually do not allow individuals to have much in personal property or rights to hold differing opinions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree