1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 17:084 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Because you have never really addressed the underlying point being made.

You can't keep on not answering this question, and then complain that people keep asking the same one in varous guises. The answer 'Mosaic Law does not apply to Christians' is not a satisfactory answer to the real question being asked. It is irrelevant.

What we really want ...[text shortened]... God asked Christians to behave differently. But not before you have answered this question.
    I answered those points, vis a vis slavery, in another thread here, and touched on them in yet another thread.

Those points were immediately ignored. Go figure.

This question of God being immoral as quoted in Leviticus or Deuteronomy or Exodus is brought up time and time again by atheists as some sort of proof that God is immoral. When looked at in *full* context, not only of the Bible, but of the life and times of the peoples involved, there is no question that this doesn't even apply in today's world, but it specifically does not apply to Christians, then or now. It IS an answer, although maybe not satisfactory to YOU, but this is only because your agenda is clearly different than ours.

tl;dr version: That was then, this is now. That should be good enough for most people.
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 17:48
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I answered those points, vis a vis slavery, in another thread here, and touched on them in yet another thread.

This question of God being immoral as quoted in Leviticus or Deuteronomy or Exodus is brought up time and time again by atheists as some sort of proof that God is immoral. When looked at in ...[text shortened]... rs.

tl;dr version: That was then, this is now. That should be good enough for most people.
    I find it hard to envisage a God pragmatically adapting his morality to fit the prevailing times. That is what human beings do.
  3. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 18:32
    Originally posted by Suzianne

This question of God being immoral as quoted in Leviticus or Deuteronomy or Exodus is brought up time and time again by atheists as some sort of proof that God is immoral. When looked at in ...[text shortened]... rs.

It would appear that the questions you "answered "are not good enough for most people, because as you point out the issue keeps coming up time after time! In order that your argument becomes more persuasive a listener must believe the bible to be an accurate document, as this is source of your suggestions. Unfortunately, there are many millions of people who do not regard the bible as a valid source of information, is it possible to frame your argument in another way?
  4. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 18:53
    Originally posted by OdBod
    It would appear that the questions you "answered "are not good enough for most people, because as you point out the issue keeps coming up time after time! In order that your argument becomes more persuasive a listener must believe the bible to be an accurate document, as this is source of your suggestions. Unfortunately, there are many millions of people who ...[text shortened]... bible as a valid source of information, is it possible to frame your argument in another way?
    The people that do not regard the bible as a valid source of information should not be asking a question about something in the Bible, if they want an answer that they consider valid. 😏
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 19:18
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    If God is the same now as 3000 years ago why are we not obeying the edicts of the old testiment, like all the lovely wisdom in Leviticus?
    Some believe things changed with Dispensationalism. It has it's merits.

They are listed here...

http://www.biblelife.org/dispensations.htm
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 19:51
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    Some believe things changed with Dispensationalism. It has it's merits.

They are listed here...

http://www.biblelife.org/dispensations.htm
    I think he is talking about God being the same now as He was thousands of years ago. I believe he knows other things have changed. 😏
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    19 Jan '13 20:00
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The people that do not regard the bible as a valid source of information should not be asking a question about something in the Bible, if they want an answer that they consider valid. 😏
    I apologise, but are you saying that the thread question can only be addressed with reference to the bible?
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    20 Jan '13 01:32
    Originally posted by OdBod
    I apologise, but are you saying that the thread question can only be addressed with reference to the bible?
    Well, doesn't the question concern the God of the Holy Bible?
  9. Joined
    22 Sep '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '13 12:46
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Well, doesn't the question concern the God of the Holy Bible?
    You are absolutely correct, but I thought some input from a Jewish and Islamic prospective might be interesting as the written texts of all three faiths are so intertwined and have the same root.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree