1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 02:52
    @josephw said
    Just wait till you come face to face with God if you think "belief in God figures" interesting now!You'll be speechless then.
    This is perhaps the weakest kind of proselytizing there is available to you. You resort to it all too often.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 02:56
    @fmf said
    Well, I answered your question, thus: I think there is not another book [or God figure] in human history that has as much historical, cultural, and moral significance as the Bible - and this forum is the appropriate venue for discussing the implications. Maybe you won't ever understand that reason for finding out interesting, but there it is - plainly stated - nevertheless.
    There isn't another Book like it in existence because it is the inspired word of God.

Your interest in it really doesn't mean much unless you come to know its author. Then you'll know what's really interesting about the Bible.
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 02:59
    @fmf said
    This is perhaps the weakest kind of proselytizing there is available to you. You resort to it all too often.
    Because it's true.

You argue about everything discussed anyway.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 03:05
    @josephw said
    Because it's true.
    Regardless of how certain your faith makes you think it is true, threats/warnings about how awful you say it's going to be for non-believers to meet your God figure after they die, are arguably the weakest kind of proselytizing there is. Save it for the indoctrination of children. Take it from me.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 03:06
    @josephw said
    You argue about everything discussed anyway.
    Making, swapping, and comparing arguments is the lifeblood of a debate and discussion message board such as this.
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 09:06
    @fmf said
    For non-theists, what are the moral questions surrounding the C21st's strong undercurrent of grievance politics in many parts of the world?

For theists, are there issues pertaining to "sin" rooted in this brand/theme of politics?
    Would you give an example?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 09:13
    @bigdogg said
    Would you give an example?
    An example of an issue that springs from grievance politics?
  8. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 09:16
    @fmf said
    An example of an issue that springs from grievance politics?
    An example of a particular grievance.

The term sounds vague. It might apply to any complaint of a political nature.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 10:091 edit
    @BigDogg
    "Grievance politics is defined by the fuelling and funneling of negative emotions and various blame-based political strategies which explicitly challenge and confound many of the core principles and values that have traditionally underpinned conventional conceptions of party politics."

~ not my words [https://tinyurl.com/46bp7fun]

See also: the politics of envy [or resentment]

See also: culture wars

See also: some elements of identity politics

As in: I’m a deserving citizen and a hardworking American [replace with a nationality of your choice] and all the things I deserve are actually going to other people who are less deserving because the government is against people like me.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 10:13
    @bigdogg said
    It might apply to any complaint of a political nature.
    Maybe so. I hope the vagueness doesn't preclude you from weighing the stuff it "might" mean and peering at it through a moral /spiritual prism. 🙂
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    22 Jan '23 10:281 edit
    @fmf said
    As in: I’m a deserving citizen and a hardworking American [replace with a nationality of your choice] and all the things I deserve are actually going to other people who are less deserving because the government is against people like me.
    Cue fulminations about unfairness that reference tax, welfare, race, sexuality, age, religion, freedom, rights, culture, history, wealth etc. Found across the political spectrum, left, right, maybe less so in the "centre".

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree