1. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 21:03
    After one gains entry into Heaven then what ? Is it just rolling around the streets of gold singing choir tunes ? Is it all the fried chicken you can hold ? Just what's going on up there ?
  2. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 21:26
    Originally posted by buckky
    After one gains entry into Heaven then what ? Is it just rolling around the streets of gold singing choir tunes ? Is it all the fried chicken you can hold ? Just what's going on up there ?
    What the hell's wrong wit fried chicken?
  3. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:25
    Originally posted by buckky
    Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

If you think heaven will be boring, then just look around at this world. It's pretty nice. Do you get bored now? Heaven will be better.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:47
    Originally posted by josephw
    Eph 2:7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

If you think heaven will be boring, then just look around at this world. It's pretty nice. Do you get bored now? Heaven will be better.
    But if one believes that there is nothing beyond eternal life, then that one has nothing to live for beyond his or her endless immaterial existence.
    What a drag!
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 23:03
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    But if one believes that there is nothing beyond eternal life, then that one has nothing to live for beyond his or her endless immaterial existence.
    What a drag!
    There is nothing beyond eternal.

Try again. Only use reason this time.
  6. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 23:10
    There is nothing beyond eternal.
    Exactly. You seem to believe that our life on earth only has value because of what's coming afterwards. What makes eternal life valuable?
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 23:36
    Exactly. You seem to believe that our life on earth only has value because of what's coming afterwards. What makes eternal life valuable?
    Because we were created to live forever.

I know how difficult it is to believe the story of mans demise in the garden, but it is the most sublime account of the origin of man in the historical record.
  8. The sky
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 23:37
    Because we were created to live forever.
    That doesn't answer my question.
  9. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 23:40

I know how difficult it is to believe the story of mans demise in the garden
    You don't really believe there was a talking snake, do you?
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 00:05
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    You don't really believe there was a talking snake, do you?
    I've never heard one talk. Wasn't it Satan speaking through the snake?
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 00:13
    That doesn't answer my question.
    Among the many reasons I can think of as to why eternal life is valuable, the one I think is most important, or at least has the most value, is that we were made that way.

We were made for a reason and a purpose. Only God can show us what that is. Living forever is only a consequence of how we were made.

Now even I am beginning to sound strange to myself.

I believe in eternal life! It's no more complicated than that.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 01:29
    Actually there is much in the Old Testament about Paradise. There will be an abundance of food, peace, animals will be tame, the lion will lay with the lamb, etc. and much much more that is rarely discussed.
  13. The sky
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 22:36
    Among the many reasons I can think of as to why eternal life is valuable, the one I think is most important, or at least has the most value, is that we were made that way.
    I don't see how being made that way in itself would make it valuable. A creator could create something entirely meaningless. A creator could also create something for xyr own purposes, making it meaningful for xymself, but without making it meaningful for the created beings.

We were made for a reason and a purpose. Only God can show us what that is.

Did he show you, or do you just assume that there is a reason and a purpose without knowing yourself what it is?

Now even I am beginning to sound strange to myself.

Lol.

I believe in eternal life! It's no more complicated than that.

I have gathered as much. But I could think it would be valuable without believing in it, and I could believe in it without thinking it's valuable.

Personally, I value quality over quantity. If life isn't meaningful to begin with, making it eternal doesn't make it any more meaningful. And if something is meaningful, the fact that it doesn't last doesn't make it less meaningful.
  14. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Dec '07 23:01
    I don't see how being made that way in itself would make it valuable. A creator could create something entirely meaningless. A creator could also create something for xyr own purposes, making it meaningful for xymself, but without making it meaningful for the created beings.

[b]We were made for a reason and a purpose. Only God can show us what that is.[/b ...[text shortened]... f something is meaningful, the fact that it doesn't last doesn't make it less meaningful.
    Don't take this wrong, but you are over rationalizing.

Eternal life very much adds to the quality of life. Knowing that I have obtained eternal life as a free gift from God only enhances the overall quality of my life now!
  15. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 00:521 edit
    Try again. Only use reason this time.
    If people were using reason, this discussion wouldn't even have started. Even if there is a heaven, it doesn't matter because we cease to exist at the moment of our physical death, and so we can never enter it. To believe in a soul that persists beyond physical death is to believe in Cartesian dualism, and there are very good reasons not to believe in that. Look them up, and save yourselves a lot of needless and unproductive angst.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree