1. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 19:22
    Originally posted by duecer
    perhaps you misunderstood my post, I meant to be inclusive of the "community" in responding to this crisis(locally and globally).

If the federal govt(s) isn't the vehicle, then what is?
    Religious and Humanitarian institutes.
    That's typically what they do.

Aside from the obvious: what crisis are you talking about?
    I don't see any crisis here.
    We have 6 billion humans on the planet.
    Only crisis I see that needs solving requires more condoms, not more food.
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 19:28
    Originally posted by mdhall
    Religious and Humanitarian institutes.
    That's typically what they do.

Aside from the obvious: what crisis are you talking about?
    I don't see any crisis here.
    We have 6 billion humans on the planet.
    Only crisis I see that needs solving requires more condoms, not more food.
    I don't disagree that population control is an issue. However, nutritionally challanged, and downright starving people exist likely in your own hometown. As a society, we are closed of and seperated from these people. We(the greater we) don't want to know, yet they are still there. As for the world, 3 billion people live on $2 a day or less.
  3. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 19:39
    I don't disagree that population control is an issue. However, nutritionally challanged, and downright starving people exist likely in your own hometown. As a society, we are closed of and seperated from these people. We(the greater we) don't want to know, yet they are still there. As for the world, 3 billion people live on $2 a day or less.
    The last time I saw a starving person was when I was in China in 1997.
    I have never seen anyone starving to death in the US except for the super models.

If you remember hurricane Katrina, you should remember how poorly the government botched that humanitarian relief effort and how private groups and citizens had to step up and do the job for them, DESPITE the tax money the government takes to facilitate these endeavors.

But, because of pathetic bickering between state and federal bureaucrats, nothing happened in a timely fashion.

Trust me, if anything, we need to cut out government programs, not add to them.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 20:011 edit
    My original intent with this thread was to point out those issues. Yes, in America (arguably the richest country in the world), we have people with little to no food, and few opportunities to obtain "proper"nutrition.

So I ask people of faith, and even athiest', does our society have a moral obligation to end hunger(and not be feeding people leftover crap, but healthy nutricious food)?
    Your post mixes two separate issues.

1) Do people have the right not to starve to death?
    2) Do people have the right to "proper" nutrition?

I would say yes to 1) and no to 2). Many of us who have the means to feed ourselves nevertheless don't conform to 'proper' nutrition [which is subjective in any case].

I don't think we can ever fully end hunger. Look at the US - we have poor even though there's tons of opportunities to make money here. We have gov't programs that give money to the poor, yet they stay poor. All we can do is provide a safety net for those who haven't figured out, or can't [whether temporarily or permanently], obtain food for themselves.
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 23:05
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Your post mixes two separate issues.

1) Do people have the right not to starve to death?
    2) Do people have the right to "proper" nutrition?

I would say yes to 1) and no to 2). Many of us who have the means to feed ourselves nevertheless don't conform to 'proper' nutrition [which is subjective in any case].

I don't think we can ever fully end hu ...[text shortened]... igured out, or can't [whether temporarily or permanently], obtain food for themselves.
    What you are missing, are the nillions of working poor who eat at soup kitchen's, recieve food stamps, and visit food banks. Opportunities are not as rosey as some might think
  6. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 23:12
    Originally posted by mdhall
    The last time I saw a starving person was when I was in China in 1997.
    I have never seen anyone starving to death in the US except for the super models.

If you remember hurricane Katrina, you should remember how poorly the government botched that humanitarian relief effort and how private groups and citizens had to step up and do the job for them, DESPITE ...[text shortened]... mely fashion.

Trust me, if anything, we need to cut out government programs, not add to them.
    I know all too well the problems they face in New Orleans, I have been there twice doing volunteer recovery work, and am returning in November. The governments immediate response was pathetic, but subsequent efforts have improved drastically. Many in New Orleans and surrounding areas still face food shortages.

I stress proper nutrition, because in the long run it's cheaper to feed people healthy food, than to treat illness from unhealthy food.
  7. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 00:55
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    How hungry? For how long?
    And why?

Are you just hungry because it's lunch time? Are you broke or just not wanting to eat what's in the house? Can't buy groceries because you don't feel like working or don't like the available jobs? Then it's wrong.
  8. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 04:05
    In that case, is it moral to have laws that prevent people from getting food ,even though they are in dire need?
    The system (society) should prevent it from happening, creating the necessary institutions. The act itself is condemnable. The possibility that such action is possible even more condemnable.
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    28 Sep '07 10:56
    Originally posted by serigado
    The system (society) should prevent it from happening, creating the necessary institutions. The act itself is condemnable. The possibility that such action is possible even more condemnable.
    I agree

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree