27 Sep '07 00:02
    you'd make Kohlberg proud...
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 00:42
    Originally posted by duecer
    to steal food if you're hungry?
    It depends. Is it considered to be sinful food?
  4. Cape Town
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 06:59
    Of course it is. You should instead pray for food and if God does not provide then he doesn't want you to eat.
    The real sin is allowing yourself to get into a situation where you are unable to buy food.
  5. Joined
    28 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 07:49
    yes
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:11
    How hungry? For how long?
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:32
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    How hungry? For how long?
    are you saying that sin can be rationalized?
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:42
    are you saying that sin can be rationalized?
    If a person is starving to death, and cannot obtain food by begging, borrowing, or getting it from a foodbank, nor traveling to another location that offers it freely, then he has a good case for stealing it. It is an act of self-defense.
  9. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 17:57
    If a person is starving to death, and cannot obtain food by begging, borrowing, or getting it from a foodbank, nor traveling to another location that offers it freely, then he has a good case for stealing it. It is an act of self-defense.
    Yes. If he didn't do so, he would be committing suicide, and that would be a greater sin.
    Of course i'm being ironic. There's no such thing as a "sin" for non-religious people. There is "law". He would be breaking the law, of course.
  10. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 18:37
    Originally posted by serigado
    Yes. If he didn't do so, he would be committing suicide, and that would be a greater sin.
    Of course i'm being ironic. There's no such thing as a "sin" for non-religious people. There is "law". He would be breaking the law, of course.
    In that case, is it moral to have laws that prevent people from getting food ,even though they are in dire need?
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 18:381 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    Ok, forget about 'sin' for the moment.

In the US, there are laws [in some states] that compel hospitals to treat critically wounded patients, even if they have no insurance or means to pay. We have the idea that society ought not to let people just die out, no matter how penniless they are.

The same could apply to my hypothetical starver [admittedly, in the US, it's hard to imagine anyone starving to death]. He has, or ought to have, the right to live. As long as he is not taking food away from a person as needy as himself, or causing physical harm to others, the law should not condemn him.
  12. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 18:44
    Ok, forget about 'sin' for the moment.

In the US, there are laws [in some states] that compel hospitals to treat critically wounded patients, even if they have no insurance or means to pay. We have the idea that society ought not to let people just die out, no matter how penniless they are.

The same could apply to my hypothetical starver [admittedl ...[text shortened]... rson as needy as himself, or causing physical harm to others, the law should not condemn him.
    My original intent with this thread was to point out those issues. Yes, in America (arguably the richest country in the world), we have people with little to no food, and few opportunities to obtain "proper"nutrition.

So I ask people of faith, and even athiest', does our society have a moral obligation to end hunger(and not be feeding people leftover crap, but healthy nutricious food)?
  13. Standard membermdhall
    Mr Palomar
    A box
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 19:07
    So I ask people of faith, and even athiest', does our society have a moral obligation to end hunger(and not be feeding people leftover crap, but healthy nutricious food)?
    Sounds like you assume Atheists would not be concerned with helping the needy? That is an awful assumption. Atheists I know are very ethical people who simply reject claims that they need to be saved.

I think the world would be a much better place if everyone simply followed the golden rule, "do unto other's as you would have them do unto you".

I don't think it is a good issue to push on the federal government though.
  14. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 19:12
    Originally posted by mdhall
    Sounds like you assume Atheists would not be concerned with helping the needy? That is an awful assumption. Atheists I know are very ethical people who simply reject claims that they need to be saved.

I think the world would be a much better place if everyone simply followed the golden rule, "do unto other's as you would have them do unto you".

I don't think it is a good issue to push on the federal government though.
    perhaps you misunderstood my post, I meant to be inclusive of the "community" in responding to this crisis(locally and globally).

If the federal govt(s) isn't the vehicle, then what is?
  15. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    27 Sep '07 19:21
    It is also a sin to know the Good you should do and then not do it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree