1. England
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 20:31
    to take a service. with the shortage of priests . there seems to be a inclination for lay people to minister services, tho the blessing of wine and bread is still done by a priest before and brought to the place of worship. ive been granted this if our priest takes ill [he has health issues] im hounered but a little bit unsure of the value it places on the service, i know its only going to be used in a emergancy, but its the presedent it sets..
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Jun '11 20:35
    Originally posted by stoker
    to take a service. with the shortage of priests . there seems to be a inclination for lay people to minister services, tho the blessing of wine and bread is still done by a priest before and brought to the place of worship. ive been granted this if our priest takes ill [he has health issues] im hounered but a little bit unsure of the value it places on the service, i know its only going to be used in a emergancy, but its the presedent it sets..
    it's ok as long as you have that sort of attitude. if you follow the truth
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 00:30
    The important thing I would think is that the service in being done.
    I don't see how it would diminish the value placed on the service
    as long as it is done correctly.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 02:20
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    The important thing I would think is that the service in being done.
    I don't see how it would diminish the value placed on the service
    as long as it is done correctly.
    If a woman steps in to replace the ailing priest, would it diminish the value placed on the service assuming it is done correctly?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 05:51
    It depends on the church. For those that believe in an ordained, ministerial priesthood, the substitution of a lay person would completely compromise the value of the liturgy. The Catholic Church on occasions grants permission for a lay person to distribute Communion when a priest is unavailable but this is not the same as a Mass, does not fulfill the Sunday obligation and is not considered to have the same spiritual value.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 05:54
    Say a prayer for guidance, follow your heart, and when you can, ask the priest or the priest's superiors/colleagues. If your blessing is not valid and you deliver unconsecrated wine and bread, it will be no harm, IMO. If you want, tell the congregation what the situation is, and they can choose whether to receive. I am confident that your sincerity will be acknowledged. For whatever my opinion is worth.
  7. England
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 08:33
    Originally posted by JS357
    Say a prayer for guidance, follow your heart, and when you can, ask the priest or the priest's superiors/colleagues. If your blessing is not valid and you deliver unconsecrated wine and bread, it will be no harm, IMO. If you want, tell the congregation what the situation is, and they can choose whether to receive. I am confident that your sincerity will be acknowledged. For whatever my opinion is worth.
    i value all oppinions , but i missed the point that in case of this happening i would go to another church nearby and that priest would consecrate the bread and wine, [he has his own service to attend] then i would return to do the service.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 10:52
    Originally posted by FMF
    If a woman steps in to replace the ailing priest, would it diminish the value placed on the service assuming it is done correctly?
    I don't think so. However, a prejudice person may think so.
  9. St. Peter's
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 11:10
    biblically sound and correct. it may even add life to the congregation
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 14:27
    It's prolly good to have a bit of the "gift of the gab" for a caper like that...
    not everyone is good at talking to crowds.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Jun '11 21:592 edits
    i value all oppinions , but i missed the point that in case of this happening i would go to another church nearby and that priest would consecrate the bread and wine, [he has his own service to attend] then i would return to do the service.
    What kind of church is this? I mean, you speak of priest and consecration, which is heavy language for sacerdotal ministry. Even with their different notions of priesthood, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, Anglicans and Episcopalians and Lutherans all forbid layman from presiding at Communion. I don't know of any other church that believes in ministerial priesthood, as opposed to just pastorship, and allows a layman to consecrate.
  12. England
    Moves
    16 Jun '11 19:301 edit
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    What kind of church is this? I mean, you speak of priest and consecration, which is heavy language for sacerdotal ministry. Even with their different notions of priesthood, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, Anglicans and Episcopalians and Lutherans all forbid layman from presiding at Communion. I don't know of any other church that believes in ministerial priesthood, as opposed to just pastorship, and allows a layman to consecrate.
    where in my post have i given the idea im consecrating the bread and wine. ive written that a priest will do this and then i bring it to the service as a layman and the service will continue with the distribution, which is allowed in all you mention. ive known of it once before but never been there when it took place

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree