1. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 10:42
    I know some people believe scientists will never be able to synthesize life in the lab. Do these people thing scientists will be able to synthesize viruses?
  2. Joined
    15 Sep '04
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 10:54
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    I know some people believe scientists will never be able to synthesize life in the lab. Do these people thing scientists will be able to synthesize viruses?
    If scientists do, I guess these people will dispute that the virus is not a living thing or that viruses do not have consciousness like us. Either way thay will confuse the issue.
  3. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 11:231 edit
    depends what you mean by synthesise a virus. if you mean build one from scratch from base protines, the yes eventually. if you mean take bits of viruses and put them together to make a new one then it is done all the time.

this isn't really a spiritual question. maybe we need a science forum as we have a spirituality one.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 11:251 edit
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    depends what you mean by synthesise a virus. if you mean build one from scratch from base protines, the yes eventually. if you mean take bits of viruses and put them together to make a new one then it is done all the time.

this isn't really a spiritual question. maybe we need a science forum as we have a spirituality one.
    And duplicate the evolution debates? Are you mad? I don't think my brain could take it....
  5. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 11:31
    Originally posted by Conrau K
    If scientists do, I guess these people will dispute that the virus is not a living thing or that viruses do not have consciousness like us. Either way thay will confuse the issue.
    What's to confuse. Define "living". 😛😀
  6. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 11:31
    the evolution debates should stay in the spirituality forum as there is no scientific argument as to whether evolution hapens or not. anyway I have posted the question in site ideas, so the discussion can carry on there.
  7. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 12:28

This belongs here because I am addressing those who think there is some sort of supernatural "life force" which human scientists cannot replicate. These people do exist, right?
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '06 06:00
    a prion could be made first
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 00:27
    the evolution debates should stay in the spirituality forum as there is no scientific argument as to whether evolution hapens or not. anyway I have posted the question in site ideas, so the discussion can carry on there.
    You mean 'no scientific evidence' you personally would accept. The vast majority of real scientists would disagree wholeheartedly with you. There are so many volumes of evidence it makes the head spin but you appear not to be one of those able to accept such evidence, instead with mere pronouncement, they are false, you think you have won your case. Actually all you have done is delude yourself.
  10. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 00:37
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You mean 'no scientific evidence' you personally would accept. The vast majority of real scientists would disagree wholeheartedly with you. There are so many volumes of evidence it makes the head spin but you appear not to be one of those able to accept such evidence, instead with mere pronouncement, they are false, you think you have won your case. Actually all you have done is delude yourself.
    I think he means that within the realms of science we're completely happy with evolution. It's only creationists that have issue with it.
  11. RDU NC
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 00:55
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    I think he means that within the realms of science we're completely happy with evolution. It's only creationists that have issue with it.
    not all creationists take issue with evolution.

but, biblical inerrantists do.
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 01:061 edit
    Originally posted by Big Mac

Okay, perhaps I should have said Young Earth Creationists.

[edit; or, as you say, biblical literalists.]
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 02:40
    Originally posted by Big Mac

Which parts of evolution contradict scripture in your opinion?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 02:40
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Okay, perhaps I should have said Young Earth Creationists.

[edit; or, as you say, biblical literalists.]
    I am a Biblical literalist who believes in old earth creation.
  15. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    20 Jun '06 02:44
    Originally posted by whodey
    I am a Biblical literalist who believes in old earth creation.
    If you believe in old earth creation you're not a bible literalist. You obviously do not really believe that the earth was created in 7 days.