1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 23:361 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    yes its what a self effacing modest person does, rather than simply seek ones own prerogative they consider the consciences of others and in this instance, dress appropriately.
    Self effacing and modest? I call that being a wimp. Dress as you want, and if others object, tell them to man up and grow a pair of balls.

What if your middle of the road modest dress sense inappropriate and it offends me?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    17 Jun '14 23:41
    Originally posted by googlefudge
    I would point out the hypocrisy in singling out women.

Men have breasts too... They are typically [although not always]
    smaller than women's are, but we all have them.

If men can be topless then I can't think of any compelling [and importantly
    non-sexist] reason why women can't be topless also.

But then I don't get my beliefs from bronze age tribesmen.
    The Bible was written in the iron age (500 B.C.), all the imagery is iron age. Science was pretty much invented by the Ancient Greek Philosophers, in the iron age. So on that basis we are pretty much on equal terms with the Creationists.

Just a point, historians stop using the technology system with the start of written history. But when it gets down to it, we are still in the iron age.
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 00:061 edit
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    1.The Bible was written in the iron age (500 B.C.),
    2. Science was pretty much invented by the Ancient Greek Philosophers, in the iron age.
    3. But when it gets down to it, we are still in the iron age.
    1. Aren't the OT stories meant to be dated back to 1300BCE?

2. I feel a slight exaggeration. Many would argue for 1600s

3. NO. Stone Age (Copper Age) Bronze Age, Iron Age are
    convenient names for periods of pre-history. Times when
    the written word was non-existent or rare. Surely no
    later than 1000 CE ?
  4. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 00:39
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    The Bible was written in the iron age (500 B.C.), all the imagery is iron age. Science was pretty much invented by the Ancient Greek Philosophers, in the iron age. So on that basis we are pretty much on equal terms with the Creationists.

Just a point, historians stop using the ...[text shortened]... m with the start of written history. But when it gets down to it, we are still in the iron age.
    Wow. Um no.

Firstly I was being pithy rather than precise.

However if you're going to be precise then that was a load of bunk.

Science was not invented by the Greeks, although they heavily influenced it's
    creation and laid some of the ground work.
    Also as science is constantly updating, even if they did invent it then I am not
    basing my beliefs on their work, but upon modern day science.

And the fact that we still use iron doesn't mean this is still the iron age.
    Just as the fact that we [and they] still use/d bronze didn't make it still the bronze age.

We are in the "Modern Era", which started in 1950, when atmospheric Nuclear testing
    destroyed the isotope balance needed for radiometric dating after that point.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 08:22
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Self effacing and modest? I call that being a wimp. Dress as you want, and if others object, tell them to man up and grow a pair of balls.

What if your middle of the road modest dress sense inappropriate and it offends me?
    Sigh, humility is often seen as a weakness in this egotistical climate of meism that you detailed and yet for the Christian as well as others, its a quality of strength. The willingness to yield to personal preference in modesty and soundness of mind takes thought and self control.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 08:231 edit
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    That was the point of the islander example; you can be topless and modest at the same time, because everyone else is.

What analogy? I didn't make one. I should think you have to learn to properly recognize an analogy before you can rate it.

I think you secretly hope people cry and whine in response to your posts because that's all you really wan ...[text shortened]... the Islander example satisfies all 3 of your 'elements', if those islanders also believe in God.
    wow i forgot about your mind ray hidden far in the hills. Do you also do tarrot readings and crystal ball sittings?
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 08:43
    What was wrong during the biblical times doesn't need to be wrong now.
    What was right during the biblical times doesn't have to be right now.
    To believe that the rules from ancient times should be fixed until the sun goes nova is plain stupid.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 08:49
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    To believe that the rules from ancient times should be fixed until the sun goes nova is plain stupid.
    this is a FAILURE to understand the difference between a law and a principle.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 09:33
    this is a FAILURE to understand the difference between a law and a principle.
    I haven't said anything about laws, neither principles. None of them are eternal.
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 10:24
    I haven't said anything about laws, neither principles. None of them are eternal.
    On the contrary here is your statement here

To believe that the rules from ancient times should be fixed

This represents a failure to distinguish between rules and principles.
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 11:07
    On the contrary here is your statement here

To believe that the rules from ancient times should be fixed

This represents a failure to distinguish between rules and principles.
    You shouldn't quote me wrong.
    I wrote
    "To believe that the rules from ancient times should be fixed until the sun goes nova is plain stupid."
    And I stand with that.

Is this about rules (didn't you say laws before) and principles, then it's your interpretation. I didn't say anything about that.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 12:19
    You shouldn't quote me wrong.
    I wrote
    "To believe that the rules from ancient times should be fixed until the sun goes nova is plain stupid."
    And I stand with that.

Is this about rules (didn't you say laws before) and principles, then it's your interpretation. I didn't say anything about that.
    Its nothing to do with an interpretation, you are forgetting that the Bible is not solely concerned with rules, but principles as well and if you acknowledge that fact then you will discern why the statement you made fails on this account.
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 12:46
    Its nothing to do with an interpretation, you are forgetting that the Bible is not solely concerned with rules, but principles as well and if you acknowledge that fact then you will discern why the statement you made fails on this account.
    Well, if you don't like what I wrote, then what?
    Would you like me to lie? To write things that you approve of? Or what?

I hereby repeat the posting that you reject:
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 14:04
    Well, if you don't like what I wrote, then what?
    Would you like me to lie? To write things that you approve of? Or what?

I hereby repeat the posting that you reject:
    And I still reject it on the basis that it fails to acknowledge the difference bewteen rules and principles.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '14 14:06
    Originally posted by vivify
    This thread is about being topless, not genitalia.
    Sorry, I thought it was a silly question competition.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree