1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    17 Jun '14 17:33
    Biblically speaking, is it wrong for women to be topless in public places where men can be topless? Is there biblical support for either allowing or condemning public toplessness of women?
  2. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    17 Jun '14 18:02
    Originally posted by vivify
    Biblically speaking, is it wrong for women to be topless in public places where men can be topless? Is there biblical support for either allowing or condemning public toplessness of women?
    Yes women are counseled to be modest, as are men.

    Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God, namely, through good works.

    1 Tim 2:9
  3. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51439
    17 Jun '14 18:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes women are counseled to be modest, as are men.

    Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God, namely, through good works.

    1 Tim 2:9
    How very banal and middle of the road. 🙂
  4. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    17 Jun '14 18:251 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How very banal and middle of the road. 🙂
    No No, its quite beautiful, to put others interests ahead of oneself. You must admit that humility is a beautiful thing? 😀
  5. SubscriberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    51439
    17 Jun '14 18:28
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No No, its quite beautiful, to put others interests ahead of oneself. You must admit that humility is a beautiful thing? 😀
    Others interest ahead of oneself?
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    86307
    17 Jun '14 19:062 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    Biblically speaking, is it wrong for women to be topless in public places where men can be topless? Is there biblical support for either allowing or condemning public toplessness of women?
    Is it wrong for a man to wave his wang around in public in a place where wangs should not be waved around?

    Edit: "biblically speaking..."
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Joined
    24 Jan '11
    Moves
    12694
    17 Jun '14 19:09
    Originally posted by vivify
    Biblically speaking, is it wrong for women to be topless in public places where men can be topless? Is there biblical support for either allowing or condemning public toplessness of women?
    I don't recall anything in specific in the Holy Bible about the prohibition of women going topless in public places. I believe that would be something that would depend on the customs of the culture. In most civilizations, it is not considered proper for women to go topless in public.
  8. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    110622
    17 Jun '14 19:14
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Yes women are counseled to be modest, as are men.

    Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God, namely, through good works.

    1 Tim 2:9
    "appropriate" changes with the setting.

    If it's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, it's quite appropriate for women to go topless.

    Same goes for 'modest'. What's modest? A burka? A full dress with a high neckline and hem at the ankles? A t-shirt and shorts that fully cover the ass? Depends on who you ask.

    A society of islanders may have all women topless all the time without anyone in that society thinking it's a big deal.

    Point is, these considerations are going to be entirely sociologically driven. The bible isn't going to be so much help.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    17 Jun '14 19:282 edits
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    "appropriate" changes with the setting.

    If it's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, it's quite appropriate for women to go topless.

    Same goes for 'modest'. What's modest? A burka? A full dress with a high neckline and hem at the ankles? A t-shirt and shorts that fully cover the ass? Depends on who you ask.

    A society of islanders may have all wome ...[text shortened]... ations are going to be entirely sociologically driven. The bible isn't going to be so much help.
    look no one is asking you to wear a three piece suit on the beach or go to work in a bikini, the operative word is modesty, that is not drawing attention to oneself. Is parading in a parade not done with the sole intent of drawing attention to yourself, well then your analogy is quite silly and an attempt to introduce other cultures where women may well go topless is clutching at straws and certainly does not negate the Bibles excellent advice on being modest.

    Now i now you are going to cry and whine, but just suck it up and you'll be ok.

    there are three elements to this particular piece of advice,

    1. what is appropriate,
    2. that its modest
    3. that it befits women (and men) professing reference for God
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    17 Jun '14 19:29
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Others interest ahead of oneself?
    yes its what a self effacing modest person does, rather than simply seek ones own prerogative they consider the consciences of others and in this instance, dress appropriately.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Infidel
    Dunedin
    Joined
    09 Jun '07
    Moves
    45641
    17 Jun '14 20:02
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    No No, its quite beautiful, to put others interests ahead of oneself. You must admit that humility is a beautiful thing? 😀
    A beautiful woman going topless is obviously
    putting the interests of others ahead of herself!
    😉
  12. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    17 Jun '14 20:13
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    A beautiful woman going topless is obviously
    putting the interests of others ahead of herself!
    😉
    LOL, such unassailable logic 😀
  13. SubscriberBigDoggProblem
    The Advanced Mind
    bigdogghouse.com/RHP
    Joined
    26 Nov '04
    Moves
    110622
    17 Jun '14 22:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    look no one is asking you to wear a three piece suit on the beach or go to work in a bikini, the operative word is modesty, that is not drawing attention to oneself. Is parading in a parade not done with the sole intent of drawing attention to yourself, well then your analogy is quite silly and an attempt to introduce other cultures where women may ...[text shortened]... ppropriate,
    2. that its modest
    3. that it befits women (and men) professing reference for God
    That was the point of the islander example; you can be topless and modest at the same time, because everyone else is.

    What analogy? I didn't make one. I should think you have to learn to properly recognize an analogy before you can rate it.

    I think you secretly hope people cry and whine in response to your posts because that's all you really want out of these forums. You aren't a good debater, and you don't care that you're not.

    Note that the Islander example satisfies all 3 of your 'elements', if those islanders also believe in God.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Joined
    08 Mar '11
    Moves
    9780
    17 Jun '14 22:10
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is it wrong for a man to wave his wang around in public in a place where wangs should not be waved around?

    Edit: "biblically speaking..."
    This thread is about being topless, not genitalia.
  15. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    1795
    17 Jun '14 23:06
    Originally posted by vivify
    This thread is about being topless, not genitalia.
    I would point out the hypocrisy in singling out women.

    Men have breasts too... They are typically [although not always]
    smaller than women's are, but we all have them.

    If men can be topless then I can't think of any compelling [and importantly
    non-sexist] reason why women can't be topless also.

    But then I don't get my beliefs from bronze age tribesmen.
Back to Top