Is it wrong for women to be topless?

Is it wrong for women to be topless?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
17 Jun 14

Biblically speaking, is it wrong for women to be topless in public places where men can be topless? Is there biblical support for either allowing or condemning public toplessness of women?

rc

Moves
17 Jun 14

Originally posted by vivify
Biblically speaking, is it wrong for women to be topless in public places where men can be topless? Is there biblical support for either allowing or condemning public toplessness of women?
Yes women are counseled to be modest, as are men.

Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God, namely, through good works.

1 Tim 2:9

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Jun 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie

Likewise, the women should adorn themselves in appropriate dress, with modesty and soundness of mind, not with styles of hair braiding and gold or pearls or very expensive clothing, but in the way that is proper for women professing devotion to God, namely, through good works.

How very banal and middle of the road. 🙂

rc

Moves
17 Jun 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Proper Knob
How very banal and middle of the road. 🙂
No No, its quite beautiful, to put others interests ahead of oneself. You must admit that humility is a beautiful thing? 😀

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Jun 14

No No, its quite beautiful, to put others interests ahead of oneself. You must admit that humility is a beautiful thing? 😀
Others interest ahead of oneself?

Moves
17 Jun 14
2 edits

Is it wrong for a man to wave his wang around in public in a place where wangs should not be waved around?

Edit: "biblically speaking..."

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Jun 14

I don't recall anything in specific in the Holy Bible about the prohibition of women going topless in public places. I believe that would be something that would depend on the customs of the culture. In most civilizations, it is not considered proper for women to go topless in public.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Jun 14

"appropriate" changes with the setting.

If it's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, it's quite appropriate for women to go topless.

Same goes for 'modest'. What's modest? A burka? A full dress with a high neckline and hem at the ankles? A t-shirt and shorts that fully cover the ass? Depends on who you ask.

A society of islanders may have all women topless all the time without anyone in that society thinking it's a big deal.

Point is, these considerations are going to be entirely sociologically driven. The bible isn't going to be so much help.

rc

Moves
17 Jun 14
2 edits

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
"appropriate" changes with the setting.

If it's Mardi Gras time in New Orleans, it's quite appropriate for women to go topless.

Same goes for 'modest'. What's modest? A burka? A full dress with a high neckline and hem at the ankles? A t-shirt and shorts that fully cover the ass? Depends on who you ask.

A society of islanders may have all wome ...[text shortened]... ations are going to be entirely sociologically driven. The bible isn't going to be so much help.
look no one is asking you to wear a three piece suit on the beach or go to work in a bikini, the operative word is modesty, that is not drawing attention to oneself. Is parading in a parade not done with the sole intent of drawing attention to yourself, well then your analogy is quite silly and an attempt to introduce other cultures where women may well go topless is clutching at straws and certainly does not negate the Bibles excellent advice on being modest.

Now i now you are going to cry and whine, but just suck it up and you'll be ok.

there are three elements to this particular piece of advice,

1. what is appropriate,
2. that its modest
3. that it befits women (and men) professing reference for God

rc

Moves
17 Jun 14

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Others interest ahead of oneself?
yes its what a self effacing modest person does, rather than simply seek ones own prerogative they consider the consciences of others and in this instance, dress appropriately.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
17 Jun 14

A beautiful woman going topless is obviously
putting the interests of others ahead of herself!
😉

rc

Moves
17 Jun 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
A beautiful woman going topless is obviously
putting the interests of others ahead of herself!
😉
LOL, such unassailable logic 😀

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
17 Jun 14

look no one is asking you to wear a three piece suit on the beach or go to work in a bikini, the operative word is modesty, that is not drawing attention to oneself. Is parading in a parade not done with the sole intent of drawing attention to yourself, well then your analogy is quite silly and an attempt to introduce other cultures where women may ...[text shortened]... ppropriate,
2. that its modest
3. that it befits women (and men) professing reference for God
That was the point of the islander example; you can be topless and modest at the same time, because everyone else is.

What analogy? I didn't make one. I should think you have to learn to properly recognize an analogy before you can rate it.

I think you secretly hope people cry and whine in response to your posts because that's all you really want out of these forums. You aren't a good debater, and you don't care that you're not.

Note that the Islander example satisfies all 3 of your 'elements', if those islanders also believe in God.

rain

Moves
17 Jun 14

Originally posted by divegeester
Is it wrong for a man to wave his wang around in public in a place where wangs should not be waved around?

Edit: "biblically speaking..."
This thread is about being topless, not genitalia.

Moves
17 Jun 14

This thread is about being topless, not genitalia.
I would point out the hypocrisy in singling out women.

Men have breasts too... They are typically [although not always]
smaller than women's are, but we all have them.

If men can be topless then I can't think of any compelling [and importantly
non-sexist] reason why women can't be topless also.

But then I don't get my beliefs from bronze age tribesmen.