1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 May '15 19:31
    Christians: Is it better to kill a small child (who most Christians believe won't go to hell), thereby ensuring passage to an everlasting paradise, or better to let them live and risk their eternal torment after growing up?
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 May '15 19:56
    At the cost of one's own allegedly immortal soul? There are two souls at stake and a proposed mechanism for saving both of them. So no I don't think Christianity logically necessitates the killing of children to save them.
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 May '15 20:01
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    At the cost of one's own allegedly immortal soul? There are two souls at stake and a proposed mechanism for saving both of them. So no I don't think Christianity logically necessitates the killing of children to save them.
    1) Given that even the bible acknowledges most people will go to hell while a few saved people will go to heaven, the odds against the "proposed mechanism" working are fairly slim.

2) One could genuinely repent and ask for forgiveness after going on a killing spree.

Right?
  4. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 May '15 20:26
    Originally posted by vivify
    1) Given that even the bible acknowledges most people will go to hell while a few saved people will go to heaven, the odds against the "proposed mechanism" working are fairly slim.

2) One could genuinely repent and ask for forgiveness after going on a killing spree.

Right?
    I suspect that the bible assumes that most will not become Christians. Regarding point 2 I don't think it can count as genuine repentance if it is built into the plan from the start.
  5. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 May '15 20:33
    Christians: Is it better to kill a small child (who most Christians believe won't go to hell), thereby ensuring passage to an everlasting paradise, or better to let them live and risk their eternal torment after growing up?
    With respect, I think I offered a better version of this question in Whodey's Hilary Clinton thread as it doesn't involve killing. However I agree with your premise which underlines the problem with modern churches creating doctrine by moralising on non scripturally specific issues.
  6. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    11 May '15 20:56
    ...I don't think it can count as genuine repentance if it is built into the plan from the start.
    What if you surprise yourself and genuinely do regret your actions? Won't god know this and accept your repentance, even though it was your plan from day one?
  7. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    11 May '15 21:30
    I suspect that the bible assumes that most will not become Christians. Regarding point 2 I don't think it can count as genuine repentance if it is built into the plan from the start.
    The person could be genuinely full of sorrow for displeasing God, much the way a religious person knows adultery is wrong before going through with it. Or in the same way King David plotted to kill a man to cover up sleeping with the man's wife, yet was genuinely remorseful afterward, when the prophet told him God was displeased.
  8. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    11 May '15 22:59
    Originally posted by C Hess
    What if you surprise yourself and genuinely do regret your actions? Won't god know this and accept your repentance, even though it was your plan from day one?
    Yes, but this is not something that can be planned for.

Incidentally, I see the Phantom down-voter is back.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 May '15 00:31
    Generally it is better to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

HalleluYahshua !
  10. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '15 02:00
    So the plan from the start is to save all the children ,,,,,,,,,,,,and God is going to send you to hell for doing that?

Dont think so.
  11. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 May '15 02:01
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Generally it is better to do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

HalleluYahshua !
    Saving the children is ( doing unto others) ............ right
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 May '15 02:30
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Saving the children is ( doing unto others) ............ right
    I believe it is. What say you?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree