1. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 16:041 edit
    Originally posted by Scriabin
    Anxiety is what you feel when you think too much.

Anxiety is the state of the human being when he confronts his freedom
    I am a little confused by what you mean by that.
    I personally generally don’t get anxious just by thinking a lot ( although this would depend on WHAT I am thinking about 😛 ) nor confronting my freedom but I would get anxious by seeing a rabid dog just about to rip my throat out.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 17:00
    so you tell me why a chair is a chair, pls?

and how do you know, in the room you presumably are in, that the ceiling is above you rather than otherwise?

faith is how we define words and their appropriate usage?
    A chair is a chair because we define it so, it is no different than the
    our description of the laws of the universe, it is how we define them,
    we may not understand them completely but we label them with
    what ever term we use to describe our understanding of X. We live
    in a universe and we make the most of it to understand it, now
    sometimes we may get it right, other times no so much.
    Kelly
  3. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 17:29
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I am a little confused by what you mean by that.
    I personally generally don’t get anxious just by thinking a lot ( although this would depend on WHAT I am thinking about 😛 ) nor confronting my freedom but I would get anxious by seeing a rabid dog just about to rip my throat out.
    you are confusing fear with existential angst
  4. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 17:29
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    A chair is a chair because we define it so, it is no different than the
    our description of the laws of the universe, it is how we define them,
    we may not understand them completely but we label them with
    what ever term we use to describe our understanding of X. We live
    in a universe and we make the most of it to understand it, now
    sometimes we may get it right, other times no so much.
    Kelly
    definitions come first or after we decide the appropriate context or usage for a word?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '09 18:391 edit
    definitions come first or after we decide the appropriate context or usage for a word?
    Hang around here long enough you'll see many here don't even hang
    on to the definitions of words. What is appropriate can change cannot
    it not, depending on the context as I have been told? The constants
    within this universe may never change, how we view things always do.
    Kelly
  6. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 03:161 edit
    Hang around here long enough you'll see many here don't even hang
    on to the definitions of words. What is appropriate can change cannot
    it not, depending on the context as I have been told? The constants
    within this universe may never change, how we view things always do.
    Kelly
    Then your previous statement is false. A chair is a chair not because we define it as such. We both agree on how the word "chair" or the word "ceiling" is used in context.

As language usage does change considerably, it behooves us to check in with one another to be sure we mean the same thing when we use a word that has a number of potential meanings within complex contexts.

Ever read any Wittgenstein? Google him -- might interest you.

Note: I didn't ask what words are supposed to mean, according to the dictionary, I asked how do we know what words mean. I submit we do not learn our vocabularies from dictionaries unless you are competing fiercely in a spelling bee.
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 04:55
    Then your previous statement is false. A chair is a chair not because we define it as such. We both agree on how the word "chair" or the word "ceiling" is used in context.

As language usage does change considerably, it behooves us to check in with one another to be sure we mean the same thing when we use a word that has a number of potential meanings wit ...[text shortened]... arn our vocabularies from dictionaries unless you are competing fiercely in a spelling bee.
    And now, Scriabin, if I tell you that right now I am sitting on a chair in my house in Athens, Greece, what your system of Logic forces you to think?

Since you cannot be aware of this fact either through your own perceptions, or through those recounted by others whom you can accept as rational and reliable sources, you still cannot accept that this fact is real/ true or that it could be real/ true? Do you still have the feeling that you came to this conclusion in a rational way, or that your conclusion was based only on your subjective feelings and beliefs?

😵
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 05:35

As language usage does change considerably, it behooves us to check in with one another to be sure we mean the same thing when we use a word that has a number of potential meanings wit ...[text shortened]... arn our vocabularies from dictionaries unless you are competing fiercely in a spelling bee.
    I actually do believe words mean things, I was pointing out that you
    will see people here say straight lines can have curves and bends in
    them or things of that nature. I'm in agreement that we have to be
    careful in our use of words and not assume when I say straight it
    means the same thing to you if we find we are debating it. It makes
    us seemly have to talk at a snails pace some times as we define what
    we mean, but to understand each other that is what it takes.
    Kelly
  9. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 14:21
    Originally posted by black beetle
    And now, Scriabin, if I tell you that right now I am sitting on a chair in my house in Athens, Greece, what your system of Logic forces you to think?

Since you cannot be aware of this fact either through your own perceptions, or through those recounted by others whom you can accept as rational and reliable sources, you still cannot accept that this f ...[text shortened]... ional way, or that your conclusion was based only on your subjective feelings and beliefs?

😵
    I cannot prove you are telling the truth about where you are.

But if I were to become familiar enough with you over time, it might be reasonable for me to believe you are telling me the truth. Otherwise, I'd have to resort to using investigators to determine who is using the IP address that one could trace to your postings and where it is coming from.

The man who recently was appointed by Pres. Obama to be the Inspector General of his new Recovery office - to determine whether bailout funds have been or will in future be spend lawfully - used to head up the EPA criminal enforcement program, where I came to know him well.

He is a former manager and investigator for the Secret Service, where he was expert at electronic and data fraud, and therefore conversant with all available forms of sleuthing the internet. So I feel reasonably sure your location could be determined through rational means.

I don't have those means myself, so I'll reserve judgment as to whether you are telling me the truth -- I'm skeptical based on the incentives I see for you to be lying if you tell me you are in Athens, Greece. You also have incentives for telling the truth, but I'm not falling into the trap.

It could be true, because people in Athens, Greece can connect to the internet and also write and speak perfectly good English. They may, in fact, not be Greek at all, but merely someone from anywhere now located in Athens.

So why can't I accept that it could be true you are there? I just cannot confirm it as a fact.

I express no opinion - for I have no rational way to confirm it.
  10. Standard memberScriabin
    Done Asking
    Washington, D.C.
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 14:23
    us seemly have ...[text shortened]... me times as we define what
    Kelly
    we, you and I, accept in the ordinary course of things that certain words are meant in their simplest sense. So straight lines are as they appear along the boundaries of this rectangle in which I'm typing. Rectangles are not constructed of curved lines, last time I checked.

But the word "God" is what I asked about. And that is not a simple concept.

What is so hard about asking what you mean by it?
  11. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 14:25
    us seemly have ...[text shortened]... me times as we define what
    Kelly
    You shouldn't discuss anything you don't understand.
    If you do have opinion, then you have to listen and learn from those who actually have knowledge.
  12. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 14:42
    we, you and I, accept in the ordinary course of things that certain words are meant in their simplest sense. So straight lines are as they appear along the boundaries of this rectangle in which I'm typing. Rectangles are not constructed of curved lines, last time I checked.
    On my monitor (a 21" CRT) the lines are curved in the third dimension. Kellys point is that in previous discussions we have claimed that a line that is straight in one dimension may be curved in others. He feels this violates the intended meaning of 'straight'.
  13. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 14:46
    I cannot prove you are telling the truth about where you are.

But if I were to become familiar enough with you over time, it might be reasonable for me to believe you are telling me the truth. Otherwise, I'd have to resort to using investigators to determine who is using the IP address that one could trace to your postings and where it is coming from.
    ...[text shortened]... confirm it as a fact.

I express no opinion - for I have no rational way to confirm it.
    Therefore, since you express no opinion for you have no rational way to confirm it, maybe now we could agree that it is wrong to state "I choose not to accept as true or established fact that of which I cannot become aware, either through my own perceptions, or through those recounted by others whom I can accept as rational and reliable sources"
    😵
  14. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 18:51
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    You shouldn't discuss anything you don't understand.
    If you do have opinion, then you have to listen and learn from those who actually have knowledge.
    It would be nice if you stayed on topic, instead of attempting to make
    people the topic here.
    Kelly
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '09 18:52

But the word "God" is what I asked about. And that is not a simple concept.

What is so hard about asking what you mean by it?
    You asked me about God? I may bave missed that, I'll go back and
    attempt to see the context in which you did that.
    Kelly

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree