Is the science/theism dichotomy necessary?

Is the science/theism dichotomy necessary?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by FMF
Despite your prolific posting, you come across as purely ideological (in so far as information is apparently chosen and/or rejected according to whether it fits with a pre-determined conclusion or assertion). You don't come across as being genuinely interested in knowing about the nature of the universe at all.

In terms of appreciating the actual wonder of c ...[text shortened]... ther than empowered by them. This is just my view having read many of your posts over the years.
Yes, I have made up my mind to believe the Holy Bible.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the LORD! Holy! Holy! Holy!

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
No. We are however Eukaryota, which I believe blue algae are too.

You can hardly deny that we are apes:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hominidae
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human

Now look at the family tree:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey

Notice that 'Monkey' includes two groups, one of which is closer to us than the other. So us and some monkeys are Catarrhini, whereas other monkeys are Platyrrhini.
This is an interesting [albeit watchably amateur recording] of a talk given on exactly this topic.

By Aron Ra

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by FMF
This is not borne out by any of your postings that I have read.
My post that you are replying to is one. 😏

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
This is an interesting [albeit watchably amateur recording] of a talk given on exactly this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW6R9RHvVew

By Aron Ra
This should prove to everyone that evolutionists do not know, but are still guessing.

Moves
31 Jan 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
This should prove to everyone that evolutionists do not know, but are still guessing.
It does nothing of the sort, but then I was never expecting you to understand any of it.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
Originally posted by KingOnPoint on the Abundant Life thread
[b]Science doesn't put you with God. Science doesn't try to give you a relationship with God. Science has failed to answer the questions of how the universe was formed and how humanity came about. We cannot depend on science either, when it comes to disproving creation for both the universe and ...[text shortened]... uisitive humans to simply settle for explanations that you just so happened to have settled for?
Eh, there are 'pinheads' on both sides of the divide.

Any random perusal of this forum should convince you of this.

F

Moves
02 Feb 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Eh, there are 'pinheads' on both sides of the divide.

Any random perusal of this forum should convince you of this.
This is just you taking a meaningless swipe at people rather than engaging the topic.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
This is is exactly the kind of superstitious thinking the OP is talking about. You've obtained this "knowledge" from ancient mythology expressed in allegories written by iron age tribesmen in one corner of the world. It's as if you are not actually interested in the reality of what you see as your God figure's creation. It also seems like this trenchant lack of ...[text shortened]... s kind of intellectual behaviour really necessary to be a Christian theist. I don't think it is.
Of course it's not. It's certainly not impossible to be intelligent AND a Christian, despite what you see all too much of in this forum. This is what I mean when I say that some Christians here don't do the rest of us any favors.

I feel like someone who has just spent the last 5 years screaming into a hurricane, for all that people ever actually pay attention to what I say (and furthermore, why I say it).

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 15

Originally posted by FMF
This is just you taking a meaningless swipe at people rather than engaging the topic.
You know, you'd probably get a lot more people "engaging the topic" if you yourself weren't known for "taking a meaningless swipe at people".

I happen to agree with the OP, but don't let that stand in your way of "taking a meaningless swipe" at me.

Moves
02 Feb 15

Of course it's not. It's certainly not impossible to be intelligent AND a Christian, despite what you see all too much of in this forum. This is what I mean when I say that some Christians here don't do the rest of us any favors.

I feel like someone who has just spent the last 5 years screaming into a hurricane, for all that people ever actually pay attention to what I say (and furthermore, why I say it).
I read and pay attention to what you say [when I'm around and reading the relevant thread]

I just disagree with a lot what you say, on account of it being unsubstantiated and/or wrong.

It is indeed perfectly possible to be intelligent and Christian, and furthermore I am perfectly
happy to label you as an example of that.

You are however not remotely rational about any issue relating to your faith.

And neither is any other faith based believer.

And rationality, [sadly] has little to do with intellect, as long as you meat the bear minimum required
to handle the concepts, which is almost everyone.

Your beliefs are stupid.

That doesn't mean that you are.

F

Moves
03 Feb 15

You know, you'd probably get a lot more people "engaging the topic" if you yourself weren't known for "taking a meaningless swipe at people".
I'm not sure what you're on about. I have no complaints at all about the amount of engagement there's been on this topic.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Feb 15

I agree with Googlefudge's comments above. I know plenty of highly intelligent Christians. Members of my own family in fact, so I know them pretty well, and I have close relatives that were professors in the sciences in top universities. But being intelligent does not mean always being rational. I am yet to meet a Christian that does not have a science/theism dichotomy problem yet to solve.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Feb 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I agree with Googlefudge's comments above. I know plenty of highly intelligent Christians. Members of my own family in fact, so I know them pretty well, and I have close relatives that were professors in the sciences in top universities. But being intelligent does not mean always being rational. I am yet to meet a Christian that does not have a science/theism dichotomy problem yet to solve.
http://www.christianministriesintl.org/articles/Fundamental-Mistake-of-Theistic-Evolutionists.php

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Feb 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
http://www.christianministriesintl.org/articles/Fundamental-Mistake-of-Theistic-Evolutionists.php
I'd laugh at you if I didn't know you were serious.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Feb 15

I'd laugh at you if I didn't know you were serious.
Thanks for respecting my belief.