25 Sep '05 19:31
    Many believers think after death, there is an afterlife?Is that possible>
  2. Joined
    13 Oct '04
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 19:58
    Originally posted by Nietzsche1844
    Everything is possible, but why do you need an afterlife if you can live forever?
  3. CA, USA
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 20:07
    As we don't know .. yes, it's possible.

Perhaps your question is .. Do you belive in an afterlife?

So? ... do you?
  4. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 21:00
    I do not believe in the after-life.

I've no reason to beilieve there is one or should be one.
  5. Donationbbarr
    Chief Justice
    Center of Contention
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 21:32
    Originally posted by LordOfTheChessboard
    Everything is possible, but why do you need an afterlife if you can live forever?
    Because some conditionals have false antecedents.
  6. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    25 Sep '05 21:42
    Well the chemical reactions in the brain are kept reacting by the lungs and heart pumping blood all around. I presume that if one of the two stops, the chemical reactions will stop as well.

So no. No after life.

PS: The lung doesn't actually pump the blood around... just in case you're wondering. No, the lungs are there for the benefit of mongese.
  7. Joined
    26 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 06:25
    Good question jammer....I am not sure;then where does our soul goes>
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 06:33
    Maybe, but probably not.
  9. Joined
    26 Aug '05
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 20:07
    Buddha spoke about "Nirvana".....a state of conciousness I can guess.He never spoke about God.
  10. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 20:09
    You should be more concerned with getting a life now .
  11. The sky
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 21:12
    Originally posted by Moldy Crow
    You should be more concerned with getting a life now .
    Why do you need a life if you can have an afterlife?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 23:04
    No, I don't think so.

Is it possible?

Probably just in the movies.

Now, if your talkin Heaven, Paradise, etc.....then I would say yes, but only after Jesus returns for His church, and after the Ressurection.

But as far as floating around like a ghost....No, I don't believe so. There are stories of ghost's, etc. and unexplained phenomena....but I believe a lot of it is fraud, and some unexplained or seemingly genuine phenomena is most likely demonic activity...but what do I know? That is just my opinion.
  13. Standard memberShallowBlue
    Bah Humbug!
    C:\Drive
    Moves
    26 Sep '05 23:56
    Is there an afterlife? Humans have always hoped so.
    Ultimately, without afterlife, there seems to be an utter pointlessness to existence. For millennia people have dreamed up countless gods to get around this painful realisation. Religious people ALWAYS believe there is an afterlife - it is, of course, the main reason for believing in their particular god in the first place.

There is a part of me that wants to believe it is true - it would be such a comfortable feeling to know we can live meaningful lives and that at the end our consciousness will live on, maybe to reside with a greater being or perhaps to be somehow re-incarnated and spend more time as a mortal.

But there is a greater part of me that knows that wanting something to be true and it actually being true are two different things. I am absolutely convinced that there is, in fact, no afterlife and that the end of life is really the end. We may live on in some way - through our genetic code or metaphorically in people's memories if we achieve greatness but that is all.

It is in some ways much harder to be an atheist and to live outside the comfort zone than to believe in god and eternal life (eternal life??? how boring could that become!). But as I can't seem to force myself into self delusion I suppose I'm stuck with it.

Interestingly - does anyone believe in afterlife without any kind of god involved? How would that work?
  14. Joined
    26 Aug '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 07:20
    well my life is fine for the moment;is just a topic that many people have spoken before and today.There is nothing to be afraid of>>
  15. Colorado
    Moves
    27 Sep '05 07:521 edit
    In a way it is just best to believe that there is an after life. If one is an atheist, then what is the point of life? One speck on a planet in vast space. Would it not matter if death came tomorrow or in fifty years? An atheist may say that we should enjoy life while we can. It's difficult to enjoy life if it is pointless. Sensory pleasures become unfulfilling after awhile.

As it is difficult to know definitively one way or the other, why not just believe that there is an after life? The idea of a good God will give some moral guidelines, and this life will be more enjoyable. Either way it is a win win situation.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree