1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 11:52
    is there any religions that dont preach that the majority of humanity is bad and deserves to be punished in some way?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 11:55
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    is there any religions that dont preach that the majority of humanity is bad and deserves to be punished in some way?
    Budhism.
  3. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:14
    Originally posted by vandervelde
    Budhism.
    i thought budhism preached we would also suffer unless we were on the path to enlightenment?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:19
    i thought budhism preached we would also suffer unless we were on the path to enlightenment?
    Wait, now: you asked about guilt and punishment. There is no such things in Budhism. But if you are not seeking for truth - which is supposed to be cure for everything - you will suffer a bit, but with no guilt or punishment. 😏
  5. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:24
    Wait, now: you asked about guilt and punishment. There is no such things in Budhism. But if you are not seeking for truth - which is supposed to be cure for everything - you will suffer a bit, but with no guilt or punishment. 😏
    if the gods have created the system that humanity operates within, then if we suffer for following one path and are rewarded for following another it doesnt matter how you sugar coat it, it is still a punishment.
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:30
    Hinduism.
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:36
    ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶e̶d̶

No it´s not. This suffering is self-imposed then, and the Buddhism offers a man ways how to overcome this suffering. Not a single trace of punishment - because of sins or something. A buddhist monk is like a shrink who permanently asks you "What do YOU think of that and that..."

That´s why buddhism hasn´t become stat religion anywhere, it´s like a free education in Free Children of Arnhem, but they (children) are expected to be nice ...
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:43
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Hinduism.
    what about the varna caste system that is part of hinduism? doesnt that preach segregation and that some people are superior to others?

doesnt hinduism follow a karma system as well where people suffer for not following the correct path?
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 12:451 edit
    ̶c̶h̶e̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶i̶k̶e̶t̶h̶r̶o̶u̶g̶h̶e̶d̶

No it´s not. This suffering is self-imposed then, and the e a free education in Free Children of Arnhem, but they (children) are expected to be nice ...
    where do buddhists believe the laws of the universe come from?

it may be self imposed punishment, but that is exactly what happens with all of the main religions. if you dont do what that religion wants you to do then you suffer. id like to find a religion where there is no carrot and stick, just a carrot.
  10. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 13:02
    what about the varna caste system that is part of hinduism? doesnt that preach segregation and that some people are superior to others?

doesnt hinduism follow a karma system as well where people suffer for not following the correct path?
    Caste system was undoubtedly a part of Hindu Society in the past. With the coming of British rule ( and even before that, to some extent, due to the influence of Hindu sages and saints who preached universal brotherhood ), it started disintegrating and has almost disappeared from the Hindu Society, certainly from the vast urban population and also to a great degree in rural areas in conformity with the progress of education. Nowhere now it is considered as a part of Hindu religious dogma.
    The theory of Karma simply is an ethical system which propounds that we get merit by doing good deeds and demerit by doing bad deeds. God is not involved anywhere. You are free to do what you like.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 14:23
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Caste system was undoubtedly a part of Hindu Society in the past. With the coming of British rule ( and even before that, to some extent, due to the influence of Hindu sages and saints who preached universal brotherhood ), it started disintegrating and has almost disappeared from the Hindu Society, certainly from the vast urban population and also to a gr ...[text shortened]... and demerit by doing bad deeds. God is not involved anywhere. You are free to do what you like.
    demerit sounds like punishment. who decides what is good and bad, is there guide to follow so a person knows what to do and not do?

i dont know enough to blame hinduism and i do not know where hindusim and indian culture/religion/politics separate, but i do know that india still has a massive problem the the cast system.
    id also query if hinduism is truly a great religion (and also the oldest) why isnt india itself a shining beacon to the rest of the world? its just as f'kd up as everywhere else, so you could argue hinduism has provided nothing different than any other religion.
  12. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 15:14
    Why are you thinking about joining - Discordianism has no rules so google tells me
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 15:28
    Original sin is more or less unique to the West.

The Japanese culture relies on shame in the eyes of other people, more than guilt for social restraint, and this is reflected in their religions, or so I have read. It is not so much that you ARE bad and deserve punishment for what you ARE, but that you may DO things that bring shame upon you, and if you discipline and restrain yourself, you do not deserve punishment.

see:

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Shinto/Ethics-Morality-Community.html

quote:

Principles of Moral Thought and Action

Shinto moral principles are strongly influenced by Confucianism. It is believed that humans have an innate moral sense, and can be motivated by shame to avoid doing wrong. Acts of wrong-doing are cleansed through acts of purification. Sincerity, which is the harmony of thought and action, is a prized human characteristic.
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 16:45
    Originally posted by tim88
    Why are you thinking about joining - Discordianism has no rules so google tells me
    thats one crazy religion, i didnt see any hate though so im in. where do i sign up.
  15. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    22 Apr '12 17:28
    demerit sounds like punishment. who decides what is good and bad, is there guide to follow so a person knows what to do and not do?

i dont know enough to blame hinduism and i do not know where hindusim and indian culture/religion/politics separate, but i do know that india still has a massive problem the the cast system.
    id also query if hinduism i ...[text shortened]... where else, so you could argue hinduism has provided nothing different than any other religion.
    The ethical principles in Hinduism are the well known principles followed by all humanity and not only by the Hindus.
    For example, Treat your mother as if she is God, treat your father as if he is God, treat your teacher as if he/she is God, treat your guest as if he/she is God. Speak the truth, go by the religious practices laid down, do not ever neglect self-study.
    If in doubt about a particular course of action, go by what the Great did in such circumstances. These are some rules for the householder as laid down in Tattiriya Upanishad. Are these obnoxious rules ? Will they be not necessary for the preservation and well being of the Society ? So what is wrong if the lure of merit or fear of demerit is proclaimed for them ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree