1. Cape Town
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 13:37
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I suppose the counter-argument to twh's argument that we can come up with design improvements would be that, in reality, we simply can't. Either the "new designs" would be impossible in reality, or would cause more harm than good.
    That would bring us back to the question of what is "good" or "bad".
    I know for a fact that I could come up with designs that would be good for me by my understanding of "good".
    The "impossible in reality" bit is a tough one as it is the redesign of reality that is being discussed.
  2. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 14:23
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    I want X-ray vision.
    An extra arm for me.
  3. Standard memberbuffalobill
    Major Bone
    On yer tail ...
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 14:28
    Back to the banana, humans have improved on it. The original wild banana would have been much smaller and full of hard seeds.
  4. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 14:38
    Originally posted by buffalobill
    Back to the banana, humans have improved on it. The original wild banana would have been much smaller and full of hard seeds.
    Shhh, that would imply Evolution occuring and we can't have any of that.
  5. London
    Moves
    13 Mar '07 14:57
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That would bring us back to the question of what is "good" or "bad".
    I know for a fact that I could come up with designs that would be good for me by my understanding of "good".
    The "impossible in reality" bit is a tough one as it is the redesign of reality that is being discussed.
    By "impossible in reality" I was thinking of something like X-ray vision, or winged humans or something like that.

But, more generally, what I had in mind were things like GM crops etc. We could alter the genes of a strain of wheat (say) for greater productivity, but completely mess up the soil doing so. Not that I'm saying that is the case (although I do recall a Sci.Am. article a very long time ago on the environmental and health ill-effects of certain GM crops), and I am aware that we do tinker with Mother Nature's genetics in breeding.
  6. Joined
    09 Feb '07
    Moves
    25 Mar '07 20:11
    [url]YouTube&mode=related&search=[/url]

I especially like the look on his face when he pulls out exhibit B.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree