1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 23:49
    Having read Voltaire's Candide and Clemons' The Mysterious Stranger so many years ago, I can remember getting that the moral of the first was to tend your garden, and of the second was, for me, absent. Assuming there is immorality in this world: Is this the best of all possible worlds?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 00:14
    Originally posted by JS357
    Having read Voltaire's Candide and Clemons' The Mysterious Stranger so many years ago, I can remember getting that the moral of the first was to tend your garden, and of the second was, for me, absent. Assuming there is immorality in this world: Is this the best of all possible worlds?
    I believe there is a better world coming when God prepares it
    for us. But now, this is the only one we have, so we must make
    the best of it.
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 03:26
    Is this the best of all possible worlds? Well if free will is involved, then I think the answer is yes.
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 03:401 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Is this the best of all possible worlds? Well if free will is involved, then I think the answer is yes.
    Actually I hold that true freewill is sub-optimal but then that's another discussion.
  5. Joined
    26 Mar '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '11 14:17
    i guess that depends on your definitions of free and will.. i think it is all an illusion.

i recommend watching the movies/tv series Ancient Aliens.. they don't claim to have the answers, just put forward all the evidence and ask the right questions 🙂
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 00:03
    Originally posted by weap0nx
    i guess that depends on your definitions of free and will.. i think it is all an illusion.

i recommend watching the movies/tv series Ancient Aliens.. they don't claim to have the answers, just put forward all the evidence and ask the right questions 🙂
    Weird, Netflix has a 2009 version they give 2+ stars to, and a 2010 version they give 4+ stars to. I'll Q up the first disk of the 2010 version. But maybe you can tell me beforehand how it relates?
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 02:35
    Obviously not the best of all possible worlds nor the worst of all possible worlds , given the ingredients we have had to work with in our collective lives and the efforts of ones that have come before.
    However, since about 1950, the world has taken a dramatic change in a lot of areas concerning human development. One example may be the advent of computers. Not many would've predicted the internet less than 50 years down the track in an age when black and white tv was seen as the most revolutionary household technology. This increase in information has been mirrored by the population curve, which to me says that the potential for change is greater than it was say 100 years ago.
    The world could get a whole lot better in just 10 or 15 years if "it " wanted to.
  8. Joined
    26 Mar '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 16:31
    Weird, Netflix has a 2009 version they give 2+ stars to, and a 2010 version they give 4+ stars to. I'll Q up the first disk of the 2010 version. But maybe you can tell me beforehand how it relates?
    the thread title is 'Is this the best of all possible worlds?'

aliens come from other worlds 🙂
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 16:40
    Originally posted by weap0nx
    the thread title is 'Is this the best of all possible worlds?'

aliens come from other worlds 🙂
    OK I get it. By "worlds" I meant to include any aliens and their place of residence in the "world" being considered as to whether it is the best possible world. Even in a multiverse type of world, all the alternate universes would be included in the "world."
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 16:421 edit
    Even in a multiverse type of world, all the alternate universes would be included in the "world."
    Doesn't the multiverse type of world mean that all possible permutations are part of it? In that sense, it's a tautology. It's the best, the worst and the only type of world. Pretty meaningless.
  11. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 20:18
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Doesn't the multiverse type of world mean that all possible permutations are part of it? In that sense, it's a tautology. It's the best, the worst and the only type of world. Pretty meaningless.
    I suppose the fall-back is: Is this the best of all possible multiverses? 🙂
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 22:27
    I suppose the fall-back is: Is this the best of all possible multiverses? 🙂
    But what does that mean if the multiverse contains ALL possible permutations?
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 22:59
    OK, good point, this thread didn't launch.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 23:44
    That this isn't the best of all possible multiverses. EACH universe in the multiverse would have to be the best possible for this to be the best possible multiverse.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    14 Apr '11 23:512 edits
    Not that I agree with the argument to begin with but perhaps JS357 was trying to suggest the notion that out of an infinite number of possible permutations of the supposedReveal Hidden Content
    actually I lean towards the idea of a multiverse but have to treat it as a speculation
    multiverse, then for any finite collection of potential permutations containing our particular permutation - ours is best?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree