1. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 02:46
    That's what a sign said outside a church I passed on my way home tonight (the little sign that in some churches talks about the upcoming sermon). I would hope that this was simply one in a series that included Judaism Appreciation, Catholicism Appreciation, Rastafarian Appreciation, Sikh Appreciation, Buddhism Appreciation, Hinduism Appreciation, Seventh Day Adventist Appreciation, etc., but somehow I doubt it.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 04:14
    khOriginally posted by pawnhandler
    That's what a sign said outside a church I passed on my way home tonight (the little sign that in some churches talks about the upcoming sermon). I would hope that this was simply one in a series that included Judaism Appreciation, Catholicism Appreciation, Rastafarian Appreciation, Sikh Appreciation, Buddhism Appreciation, Hinduism Appreciation, Seventh Day Adventist Appreciation, etc., but somehow I doubt it.
    I think Michael moore is making a new movie about it, it's called
    Sikho.
  3. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 04:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I think Michael moore is making a new movie about it, it's called
    Sikho.
    LOL!!
  4. Joined
    17 Jul '07
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 19:03
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    You can't appreciate one non-Christian religion unless you learn about all of them?
  5. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '08 19:451 edit
    Perhaps TPTB in the church are aware of a need to address that particular point to the congregation.
  6. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 01:24
    Originally posted by Mimor
    Perhaps TPTB in the church are aware of a need to address that particular point to the congregation.
    I guess that would have made sense to me years ago and it seems more surprising that it's only now being addressed, but if I hung out in this forum more I'd probably notice that it's still a pertinent topic.
  7. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 06:33
    Why? Why dont you rather criticize all the other Churches that haven't even got to step 1?
  8. Standard memberRSMA1234
    The Guvnor....!!!!
    The Dark Side
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 13:12
    Good idea.

At school we have RE classes and learned about other faiths (in detail), helps in promoting harmony and ensureing that we "try" and live peacefully together
  9. tinyurl.com/ywohm
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 13:32
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    Why? Why dont you rather criticize all the other Churches that haven't even got to step 1?
    Because in my mind it never occurred to me that there are still churches that have never gotten around to having this conversation yet. When I taught RE as the poster above me mentioned, I taught about all religions that I could think of and what we have in common and how we differ as well as the importance about forming opinions based on information rather than prejudice and hysteria. I've been doing that since 1999 with children, so it seems odd that (a) adults are only now having this conversation in 2008 and (b) it looks like they're limiting it to one group but making it OK to remain prejudiced about other groups.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Apr '08 13:571 edit
    Because in my mind it never occurred to me that there are still churches that have never gotten around to having this conversation yet. When I taught RE as the poster above me mentioned, I taught about all religions that I could think of and what we have in common and how we differ as well as the importance about forming opinions based on information ra ike they're limiting it to one group but making it OK to remain prejudiced about other groups.
    You are clearly making the assumption that all people worldwide are one and whatever you are doing, everyone else is too. Prejudice and hysteria have been around since humans evolved and they will be around as long as humans exist.
    Most Churches I know of spend most of their time talking about giving money to the Church, and the rest of their time agreeing with each other on what they believe. It is quite rare to talk about other peoples beliefs and even rarer if those other people are of a different religion.
    I believe that the prejudice against Muslims and Arabs is at an all time high in the US right now due to terrorism and the Iraq war so it makes sense for someone to try to deal with that prejudice.
    The fact that you brought up a number of other groups shows that you believe that there is still significant prejudice against them contradicting your claim that you didn't realize that some people have 'never gotten around to having this conversation yet.'
    Having a discussion about one group in no way somehow sanctions prejudice about another group.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree