1. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 08:28
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    Only those who say that they will slaughter every palestinian there is on occupied soil. And I sadly think that this prophecy will be true. The final solution.
    Some candidates.

http://ramblingjew.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/it%E2%80%99s-not-fun-being-a-prophet-the-true-prophets/
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 08:31
    Only those who say that they will slaughter every palestinian there is on occupied soil. And I sadly think that this prophecy will be true. The final solution.
    Lots of prophets in Palestine then.
    False prophets, because they wont be able to kill all the Jews.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 09:33
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Lots of prophets in Palestine then.
    False prophets, because they wont be able to kill all the Jews.
    All prophets are false, because there are no true prophecies.

If I make a prophecy "I will kill you" and I kill you, does that make me a prophet? No.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 09:40
    All prophets are false, because there are no true prophecies.

If I make a prophecy "I will kill you" and I kill you, does that make me a prophet? No.
    You're ignoring the fact that it is not a prophet's function to foretell the future. See my earlier post. Prophets like Ezekiel and Isaiah -- true prophets -- came into conflict with the authorities of their day for telling inconvenient truths about the psychic condition of their nations. So did Jesus, of course.

For an example of a more recent prophet, in the true sense of the word, look at William Blake, 'prophet against empire'.
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 09:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    You're ignoring the fact that it is not a prophet's function to foretell the future. See my earlier post. Prophets like Ezekiel and Isaiah -- true prophets -- came into conflict with the authorities of their day for telling inconvenient truths about the psychic condition of their nations. So did Jesus, of course.

For an example of a more recent prophet, in the true sense of the word, look at William Blake, 'prophet against empire'.
    Another prophet is Nostradamus.
    I think he is of the same kind as the other...
  6. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 09:56
    Another prophet is Nostradamus.
    I think he is of the same kind as the other...
    Still not reading. Never mind, I'll quit posting.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 10:111 edit
    Still not reading. Never mind, I'll quit posting.
    I usually don't read links to massive text, without knowing what I will gain.
    Perhaps you want to give me a summary?

Edit: I have eyed through your link. It's from the israel natunal news. Pro-Israeli propaganda?

One passage is about some young girls not wanting to tell the autorities their names, they are called prophets. Now we have to redifine things... So I don't see the interest of reading this article at all... Are you tricking me into reading pro-Israeli propaganda?
  8. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 10:18
    I usually don't read links to massive text, without knowing what I will gain.
    Perhaps you want to give me a summary?
    I haven't posted any links in this thread, just a perspectival comment.
  9. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 10:201 edit
    I haven't posted any links in this thread, just a perspectival comment.
    http://ramblingjew.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/it%E2%80%99s-not-fun-being-a-prophet-the-true-prophets
    Summary please...
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 10:26
    http://ramblingjew.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/it%E2%80%99s-not-fun-being-a-prophet-the-true-prophets
    Summary please...
    Oh, that. It lists some people the blogger considers modern-day Israeli prophets.

My main point, completely ignored, is about the function of prophecy.
  11. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 10:59
    You've all got off topic! The point I wanted to make and discuss is this:

For the arithemtic to work out, it is necessary to multiply 360 years by 7. Leviticus 26:18 says the punishment will be increased 7-fold.

BUT: read the subsequent verses in Leviticus, and the punishments will be increased 7-fold a further 3 times! Thus, 360 must be mutiplied by 7 to the power of 4. In addition, the verses in Leviticus do not mention time. They focus on the type of punishment such as disease, famine, crops failing, ferocious animals, even canibalism! If you read all these verses, it is clear that God is saying 'if you continue to disobey me, I will do this; if the disobedience continues, then I will do this etc etc'.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 11:12
    Originally posted by znsho
    You've all got off topic! The point I wanted to make and discuss is this:

For the arithemtic to work out, it is necessary to multiply 360 years by 7. Leviticus 26:18 says the punishment will be increased 7-fold.

BUT: read the subsequent verses in Leviticus, and the punishments will be increased 7-fold a further 3 times! Thus, 360 must be mutiplied by 7 t ...[text shortened]... e to disobey me, I will do this; if the disobedience continues, then I will do this etc etc'.
    Sorry for my share of going off-topic. It will not (?) happen again.

But this is not a prophecy, is it? It's just a threat.
    My boss gives me this kind of threats all the time and he is not a prophet.
  13. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 11:18
    Sorry for my share of going off-topic. It will not (?) happen again.

But this is not a prophecy, is it? It's just a threat.
    My boss gives me this kind of threats all the time and he is not a prophet.
    The Prophecy of 360 further years exile was By Zekiel (or whatever). To make the figures correct, Leviticus's threats are used viz: 360 must be multiplied by 7. That's what is said in the video on youtube. At first, convincing. But, then I read the subsequent verses of Leviticus and I became skeptical.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 11:50
    The Prophecy of 360 further years exile was By Zekiel (or whatever). To make the figures correct, Leviticus's threats are used viz: 360 must be multiplied by 7. That's what is said in the video on youtube. At first, convincing. But, then I read the subsequent verses of Leviticus and I became skeptical.
    You should have started off skeptical in the first place and only got convinced after further study (if the results warranted it).
    In my experience most Biblical prophesy falls into one or more of the following broad categories:
    1. Too vague or too likely. This refers to prophesies that could easily fit a large number of future outcomes, or would have been fairly likely to take place.
    2. Reported after the prophesied events. This is when the prophesy and the event being prophesied are only reported after the event has already taken place.
    3. Event reported as fulfillment of prophesy. This is when the only reporter of the event, is fully aware of the prophesy that he believes the event fulfills.
    4. Outright false. This is when to any skeptic, it is obvious that the prophesy was not fulfilled (obviously firm believers can never be convinced). Evidence should be able to stand up to reasonable skepticism.

Many of the prophesies supposedly fulfilled by Jesus, fall into category 3. and any skeptic should realize that it is quite likely that the writers of the gospels (or their predecessors that they copied from) invented events to fulfill prophesy. It is also quite likely that that was perfectly acceptable behavior at the time and not considered deception.
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    08 Sep '08 11:56
    It's just words anyway. Doesn't mean much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree