1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 09:262 edits
    The real danger of playing chess is it's military nature, the equivalent of the maneuvers enacted by little boys with toy soldiers.
    Awake! - 3/22/73, pp.12-14

Not sure I'll get a response, but I just wondered how you guys (robbie carrobie and Galveston75) feel about this? Do you think you may be in contravention of WT rules etc?
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 11:48
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 12:21
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Thread 118305
    Thanks, a quick look through shows that the usual obfuscation and denial ensues.
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 12:49
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Thanks, a quick look through shows that the usual obfuscation and denial ensues.
    Oh yes, we'd expect nothing less. 🙂
  5. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 16:52
    [b]The real danger of playing chess is it's military nature, the equivalent of the maneuvers enacted by little boys with toy soldiers.
    Awake! - 3/22/73, pp.12-14

Not sure I'll get a response, but I just wondered how you guys (robbie carrobie and Galveston75) feel about this? Do you think you may be in contravention of WT rules etc?[/b]
    What about football?

The sublimation of aggressive tendencies.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 17:14
    Originally posted by JS357
    What about football?

As I understand it, JWs are discouraged from all sport as well as education. It's a strange and (in my view) a destructive religious cult.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 17:191 edit
    As I understand it, JWs are discouraged from all sport as well as education. It's a strange and (in my view) a destructive religious cult.
    It's a well know fact that sports have pagan roots. In fact, the first "touchdown" was said to be scored by none other than Zeus himself.

Just take a gander at the Olympics if you don't believe me. All those chaps running around naked worshiping pagan gods.

Sure, robbie may run around naked by he would not stoop to any of the rest of this sort of behavior.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 17:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    It's a well know fact that sports have pagan roots.
    Can you substantiate this? And do you therefore agree with the JW stance on discouraging sports, and if not why not?
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 18:541 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    What about football?

football (soccer) is a religion.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 18:56
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    football (soccer) is a religion
    A cliche and not really substantive.
  11. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 19:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    football (soccer) is a religion.
    Association rules football is a simple replacement for public executions. I assume you'd prefer to watch a game of football than a public hanging.
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 19:38
    Can you substantiate this? And do you therefore agree with the JW stance on discouraging sports, and if not why not?
    Just having a bit of fun with Robbie.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 20:52
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Association rules football is a simple replacement for public executions. I assume you'd prefer to watch a game of football than a public hanging.
    depends whose playing, id rather have my bottom boiled in a scolding vat of scotch bonnet chilies than watch England play football.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    21 Sep '14 20:53
    Originally posted by whodey
    Just having a bit of fun with Robbie.
    you're not supposed to have fun with robbie, you are supposed to stab and spear him. 😀
  15. Joined
    10 Apr '12
    Moves
    06 Oct '14 02:11
    just to add a bit to your understanding, JW s are encouraged not to get involved with the "spirit of competition" and not to engage in activities that detract from their time spent in theocratic pursuits. Sports involve both of these factors and would work against one's spirituality. we are definitely for education and have been recognized as not only attending school but in addition attending a ministry school each week to learn more and be more qualified to teach others the truth. 1 Timothy 2:4, (God's)"will is that all sorts of people should be saved and come to an accurate knowledge of truth." we can't do that without study and advancing in knowledge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree