1. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 18:47
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    “...its nonsense to try to rationalise ...”

LOL.

Don't you see anything wrong with that statement fragment? -it is clearly a contradiction.

“...Once you agree
    that yes, its possible that there was divine intervention, there is no need to concoct
    elaborate stories to address hypothetical situations. ...”

how could the concoction of a d ...[text shortened]... tories to address hypothetical situations” but reason-based; based on the reasons I just gave.
    well if it made you smile i am glad, but i do think its both illogical (how can that which is
    supernatural be subject to rationality) and unreasonable to limit your search of truth to
    unintelligent agencies and thus concoct a whole series of hypothetical events in an
    attempt to rationalise a supernatural event.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 18:49
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Rejecting twinkle dust 'theories' is not "illogical"; you haven't answered my second query.
    rejecting it an then supplying your own twinkle toes and fairy dust stories is even more
    illogical, as you have not even tried to ascertain the validity of the Biblical text. Its
    pathetic!
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 18:50
    You haven't successfully eliminated the proposition that the Bible isn't a true historical account of what happened 2000 years ago. There is no valid reason to *deduce* it must have been a supernatural event.
    i dont need to eliminate it, i have examined the text and to me its sound, have you?
    noooo!
  4. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 18:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    rejecting it an then supplying your own twinkle toes and fairy dust stories is even more
    illogical, as you have not even tried to ascertain the validity of the Biblical text. Its
    pathetic!
    Please explain how I have made an appeal to magic and fairy dust.
  5. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 18:522 edits
    i dont need to eliminate it, i have examined the text and to me its sound, have you?
    noooo!
    Well we all know

Bible implies God implies Bible implies God implies Bible implies ... implies God
    or
    assuming the Bible is true implies what the Bible says happened, actually happened, corroberates your asumption the Bible is true implies ... implies what the Bible says happened, actually happened

is sufficient argument for you but for us we need a little less circularity ;]
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 19:26
    yes its nonsense to try to rationalise the event and then proceed to explain it away in
    pure speculative terms, simply because you deny the divine element. Once you agree
    that yes, its possible that there was divine intervention, there is no need to concoct
    elaborate stories to address hypothetical situations.
    Truer words were never spoken: There is no need to concoct elaborate stories to address hypothetical situations.
  7. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 19:373 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    Truer words were never spoken: There is no need to concoct elaborate stories to address hypothetical situations.
    Well it's not treated so much a hypothetical situation given that the vast majority of Christians buy into the Jesus myth. Secondly if you're hit with such an account you have a number of choices:

1) Accept it without question
    2) Reject it, and shrug your shoulders when asked to provide an account for what could have happened were it not true.
    3) Shrug your shoulders in ambivalence and carry on with the rest of your day

4) Reject it and find a rational alternative explanation.

Atheists that post on these boards tend to opt for (4), and fundies opt for (1). What Andrew Hamilton posted is perhaps a bit too elaborate for my liking yes, but it's still far more plausible than the Biblical account. - No appeals to magic.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    the hypothesis is that Christ survived, the elaborate stories are those which Hamilton
    and Agers seek to proffer.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:21
    the hypothesis is that Christ survived, the elaborate stories are those which Hamilton
    and Agers seek to proffer.
    nothing elaborate with mine ;]
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:26
    nothing elaborate with mine ;]
    ok, simple fairy tales of Agers!
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:28
    ok, simple fairy tales of Agers!
    again...please explain where the appeals to magic are
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:301 edit
    again...please explain where the appeals to magic are
    that Christ survived after having been publicly executed by the Romans, stabbed in the
    side with a spear and flogged prior to his execution. If that is not magic then what is it?
  13. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:342 edits
    that Christ survived after having been publicly executed by the Romans, stabbed in the
    side with a spear and flogged prior to his execution. If that is not magic then what is it?
    not my claim!!! mine was post 2 that suggests someone, perhaps a wise charismatic feller did get crucified, did die, and the garbage about Jesus was attributed to that bloke - nothing out of the ordinary, no appeals to magic! Just an appeal to human nature 😵
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:47
    not my claim!!! mine was post 2 that suggests someone, perhaps a wise charismatic feller did get crucified, did die, and the garbage about Jesus was attributed to that bloke - nothing out of the ordinary, no appeals to magic! Just an appeal to human nature 😵
    mmm, grumble grumble.
  15. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    25 Apr '11 20:531 edit
    mmm, grumble grumble.
    Perhaps you can now concentrate on what *I* said now and show me where I've made any appeals to magic (Andrew Hamilton made no such appeals either) or retract your assertion that I did?

Nah...you'd never do either of those ;]

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree