1. Playing with matches
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 13:02
    Did Jesus ever drink to excess? Its pretty clear that the water to wine deal came in handy, but was Jesus a party animal. I can't imagine him being serious all the time. Did he get down, shake his booty and pull practical jokes on the disciples?
  2. Standard memberHalitose
    I stink, ergo I am
    On the rebound
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 13:48
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    Did Jesus ever drink to excess? Its pretty clear that the water to wine deal came in handy, but was Jesus a party animal. I can't imagine him being serious all the time. Did he get down, shake his booty and pull practical jokes on the disciples?
    Joy, which was the small publicity of the pagan, is the gigantic secret of the Christian. And as I close this chaotic volume I open again the strange small book from which all Christianity came; and I am again haunted by a kind of confirmation. The tremendous figure which fills the Gospels towers in this respect, as in every other, above all the thinkers who ever thought themselves tall. His pathos was natural, almost casual. The Stoics, ancient and modern, were proud of concealing their tears. He never concealed His tears; He showed them plainly on His open face at any daily sight, such as the far sight of His native city. Yet He concealed something. Solemn supermen and imperial diplomatists are proud of restraining their anger. He never restrained His anger. He flung furniture down the front steps of the Temple, and asked men how they expected to escape the damnation of Hell. Yet He restrained something. I say it with reverence; there was in that shattering personality a thread that must be called shyness. There was something that He hid from all men when He went up a mountain to pray. There was something that He covered constantly by abrupt silence or impetuous isolation. There was some one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth; and I have sometimes fancied that it was His mirth.

-G.K. Chesterton in the closing paragraph of Orthodoxy.
  3. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 14:262 edits
    Originally posted by Hand of Hecate
    WWJD? What would Jesus drink?

There is a beer, brewed by Shmaltz Brewing Company, called "HE'BREW - the chosen beer"

I wonder if that would be Jesus' brew of choice these days.

http://www.shmaltz.com/

Edit: it seems that amongst their selections, they have Genesis Ale and Messiah Bold. I bet Jesus would go for the Messiah Bold.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 14:34
    Originally posted by rwingett
    WWJD? What would Jesus drink?
    This is a question for widget. Viticulture and archeology...what did the wine at Cana taste like?
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 14:351 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    Joy, which was the small publicity of the pagan, is the gigantic secret of the Christian.
    I like the way he puts pagans down to raise Christians up. Good one, Gilbert. A permissible strategy considering his target audience, though. And a famous boozer in his right, I believe--if the nose is anything to go by.
  6. Joined
    10 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 15:03
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    I like the way he puts pagans down to raise Christians up. Good one, Gilbert. A permissible strategy considering his target audience, though. And a famous boozer in his right, I believe--if the nose is anything to go by.
    Never, I repeat Never put pagans down, to raise anyone up, you may not believe it, but I believe in Karma and the threefold law, meaning if you do something to someone, you will get it back 3 times worse (as the case may be) or 3 times better. I'm sorry, I get uptight when people put down my own religion.
  7. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 15:06
    Originally posted by ayamethesnake
    Never, I repeat Never put pagans down, to raise anyone up, you may not believe it, but I believe in Karma and the threefold law, meaning if you do something to someone, you will get it back 3 times worse (as the case may be) or 3 times better. I'm sorry, I get uptight when people put down my own religion.
    Your religion stinks. Whatever it is.
  8. Joined
    08 Oct '04
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 15:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    Never, I repeat Never put pagans down, to raise anyone up.
    Unless you're making a human pyramid.
  10. Joined
    10 Jul '06
    Moves
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Your religion stinks. Whatever it is.
    Heh, no it doesn't I believe in a mix of draconic paganism, Vampirism, and a few others, which actualy leads to a lot of questions that could be asked and answered, which I will leave that to the thread I made.
  11. Joined
    10 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 15:13
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Unless you're making a human pyramid.
    Ok that I can agree with, I tend to be better on the bottom of the pyramid anyway...lol
  12. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 20:11
    I'm sorry, I get uptight when people put down my own religion.
    You're in the wrong place then.
  13. Joined
    10 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 20:13
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    You're in the wrong place then.
    I find that when I get uptight it makes me want to stand up more for my own religion which I WILL do
  14. Standard memberscottishinnz
    Kichigai!
    Osaka
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 20:17
    I find that when I get uptight it makes me want to stand up more for my own religion which I WILL do
    Good, as well you should. Don't expect a whole heap of support from anyone here though - you're pretty much the single representative of your religion. At least the Christians (KellyJay, Halitose, FreakyKBH, dj2becker et al) have each other to support them, and us atheists (Me, UmbridgeofSnow, Googlefudge etc) have each other too. It's going to be an uphill struggle for you, my girl.
  15. Joined
    10 Jul '06
    Moves
    19 Jul '06 20:20
    Originally posted by scottishinnz
    Good, as well you should. Don't expect a whole heap of support from anyone here though - you're pretty much the single representative of your religion. At least the Christians (KellyJay, Halitose, FreakyKBH, dj2becker et al) have each other to support them, and us atheists (Me, UmbridgeofSnow, Googlefudge etc) have each other too. It's going to be an uphill struggle for you, my girl.
    I do not mind it, my entire life has been an uphill struggle, and this is just one more thing I need to work with, I know I may be alone, I know that I may be put down, heck I know I could even be beaten for what I believe in, and believe me it has, but still I will stand back up, still saying that I believe in what I do now, even if death threatens me, I will not convert for anyone.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree